Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXXIII-231,484 ROI(4,610 deaths)116,197 NI (2,107 deaths)(23/03)Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Probes wrote: »
    I feel like people are falling over themselves to criticise Nphet here. It's very possible that Covid increases the risk of stillbirth like other infections do too. I'd say it's quite likely that they are concluding that Covid has been a complication in those births leading to a negative outcome. They don't know how much of a problem it is, if it's worse with Covid or if it's typical of all infections. We are in a fast moving pandemic, we are dealing with variants now too, there is a lot of uncertainty. To criticise them for doing their job in reporting the information and providing recommendations is pretty low.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/flu-vaccination/flu-vaccine-pregnancy/

I feel like your ignoring the data. A study by imperial college in the UK which I posted to you earlier, without any response, has shown there is no increased risk of still birth from C19. So should we chose to believe these claims which as of yet are unfounded? Or should we believe a study which was conducted properly from start to finish with a huge sample size?

Fast moving pandemic my hole. It’s negligence from NPHET. And counting two of the deaths in the statistics. Come on, give me a break here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Klonker wrote: »
    I understand George Lee was the one who asked the question who seemed to have some prior information on it but it was always going to be asked when the death age range was given as 0 to 90+.

It's strange but there are some here that will not tolerate any criticism of Nphet, personally I believe that is not desirable it only entrenches groupthink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Anyone else having issue with strike through posts? Every post from.11:48 onwards is appearing as crossed out for me... Only appears when I'm logged in, strange..

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    I feel like your ignoring the data. A study by imperial college in the UK which I posted to you earlier, without any response, has shown there is no increased risk of still birth from C19. So should we chose to believe these claims which as of yet are unfounded? Or should we believe a study which was conducted properly from start to finish with a huge sample size?

Fast moving pandemic my hole. It’s negligence from NPHET. And counting two of the deaths in the statistics. Come on, give me a break here.

Maybe the 'worry' needed to be ramped up?
    https://www.broadsheet.ie/2020/11/24/the-science-of-not-worrying-enough/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Anyone else having issue with strike through posts? Every post from.11:48 onwards is appearing as crossed out for me... Only appears when I'm logged in, strange..

Yes thought i was going mad. Only on the phone tho...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Klonker wrote: »
    I understand George Lee was the one who asked the question who seemed to have some prior information on it but it was always going to be asked when the death age range was given as 0 to 90+.

It was a female journalist from the Irish Independent who asked about it first afaik - you can hear her in the twitter clip.

Then George Lee had his customary freak out.

froog wrote: »
    Yes thought i was going mad. Only on the phone tho...

Yeah also seems to only be issue on this thread, others are fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Quantum Baloney

You can be certain there'll be a few in here [...] hoping that the Gardaí "crack some skulls".

Astonishingly number of these types on boards.

Astonishingly number of these types on boards.

It's funny actually to see the mask slip on posters who like to project a reasoned and balanced mindset. One such poster last week was happy to see Garda ' cracking skulls'.

It's strange but there are some here that will not tolerate any criticism of Nphet, personally I believe that is not desirable it only entrenches groupthink.

And equally there are some who will use anything as grounds to criticise NPHET.

I struggle to see how Glynn could have handled the journalist's question in any other way. He couldn't deny that he'd been made aware of it - and he tried to his best to talk about that it was prelimary findings, was potentially exceedingly rare and that maternity care was still top notch. What else could he have said when faced with a question about this?

• Advertisement

Yeah also seems to only be issue on this thread, others are fine.

Fixed now, some weird vodoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Arghus wrote: »

I struggle to see how Glynn could have handled the journalist's question in any other way. He couldn't deny that he'd been made aware of it - and he tried to his best to talk about that it was prelimary findings, was potentially exceedingly rare and that maternity care was still top notch. What else could he have said when faced with a question about this?

Glynn dealt with the question correctly.

The media made it an issue and obsessed posters on social media made it an issue.

I'm happy to criticise where it is warranted, I don't believe in a position of absolute defence or critique.
    Personally I believe Glynn should have said we have no definitive information at the moment and will address the question when we do. If Glynn was blindsided as suggested by another poster surely it would make sense to address the question when more information was available?
    As I said to another poster yesterday or the day before, if there is no link established between Covid and the 4 still births the same attention from Nphet or the media will not occur. My opinion of course but behaviour todate suggests my opinion most likely will be correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Any live streams? (the cork protest)

Glynn dealt with the question correctly.

The media made it an issue and obsessed posters on social media made it an issue.

Obsessed posters on social media made it an issue?
    lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Storm 10 wrote: »

Is it not saying they cant treat people differently on the grounds of who has and hasn't been vaccinated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

• Advertisement

I'm happy to criticise where it is warranted, I don't believe in a position of absolute defence or critique.
    Personally I believe Glynn should have said we have no definitive information at the moment and will address the question when we do. If Glynn was blindsided as suggested by another poster surely it would make sense to address the question when more information was available?
    As I said to another poster yesterday or the day before, if there is no link established between Covid and the 4 still births the same attention from Nphet or the media will not occur. My opinion of course but behaviour todate suggests my opinion most likely will be correct.

He said that the information was provided in the preliminary coroner's reports. He didn't write that information, it was information that was provided to him - and he provided caveat after caveat in his answer, some of which you've said he should have and he did: we don't have much data, all very prelimary, very rare outcome, maternity care is overwhelmingly positive. Honestly, once again, what else could he have said?

Glynn admitted that they have no definitive information - he never said this was confirmed to be linked to deaths. He essentially did what you say he should have done. And he went out of his way to defuse the emotionality of the question by bringing in all those caveats I've previously mentioned.

Do you really think he could have avoided answering that question? No chance - he had to say something. So what he did say explained the context, stressed that there wasn't much information and that all reports were prelimary and talked up the positive experiences of maternity care throughout the pandemic. It's ridiculous to accuse him of scaremongering for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Going to a country next wk everything open small pockets of cv19 dealt with by local short lockdowns none of the crap going on here

The private hospitals allowed to offer vaccines

we should be living with covid not hiding

He said that the information was provided in the preliminary coroner's reports. He didn't write that information, it was information that was provided to him - and he provided caveat after caveat in his answer, some of which you've said he should have and he did: we don't have much data, all very prelimary, very rare outcome, maternity care is overwhelmingly positive. Honestly, once again, what else could he have said?

Glynn admitted that they have no definitive information - he never said this was confirmed to be linked to deaths. He essentially did what you say he should have done. And he went out of his way to defuse the emotionality of the question by bringing in all those caveats I've previously mentioned.

Do you really think he could have avoided answering that question? No chance - he had to say something. So what he did say explained the context, stressed that there wasn't much information and that all reports were prelimary and talked up the positive experiences of maternity care throughout the pandemic. It's ridiculous to accuse him of scaremongering for this.
    As I said some will accept no criticism of Nphet whether it is justified or not, I find unwavering defence/critique intriguing tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

460 swabs
    3.58% + rate

Happy Saturday everyone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

460 swabs
    3.58% + rate

Happy Saturday everyone

692 / 3.84% last Saturday.

33% drop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's not what I'm reading from it. Your headline synopsis is misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

agoodpunt wrote: »
    Going to a country next wk everything open small pockets of cv19 dealt with by local short lockdowns none of the crap going on here

What country is offering private vaccines? Outside the Western world I presume.

As I said some will accept no criticism of Nphet whether it is justified or not, I find unwavering defence/critique intriguing tbh.

I think you're determined to find fault with his response in this context. Even though he was calm and measured and even mentioned many things that you said he should have.

You find unwavering deference or critique intriguing? Me too - honestly, tell me one single time when you have publicly agreed with anything from NPHET. C'mon there is an irony there in you talking about the intrigue of unwavering critique - your contributions are unwavering in their critique!

But, I'm quite happy to drop the subject too. It's a nice day outside and I don't want to waste it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

agoodpunt wrote: »

A country with zero covid, private vaccinations and an open border........

Narnia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

460 swabs
    3.58% + rate

Happy Saturday everyone

Excellent stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

hynesie08 wrote: »
    A country with zero covid, private vaccinations and an open border........

Narnia?

A poster with a join date <Oct 2020 is best ignored, no matter what side of the debate they place themselves on.

There appears to be a concerted campaign to ferment division on the site, with new posters taking ridiculously hard line stances

I think you're determined to find fault with his response in this context. Even though he was calm and measured and even mentioned many things that you said he should have.

You find unwavering deference or critique intriguing? Me too - honestly, tell me one single time when you have publicly agreed with anything from NPHET. C'mon there is an irony there in you talking about the intrigue of unwavering critique - your contributions are unwavering in their critique!

But, I'm quite happy to drop the subject too. It's a nice day outside and I don't want to waste it.

You can check my post history if you wish but I have agreed with the medical advice they gave in the early days around social distancing hand washing etc and still do, I disagreed with the stance they took when the nursing homes were restricting visitors.
    I agree with their suggestions about inward travel. I disagree with their insisting on closing non essential retail/ construction.
    As you said it's a nice day out you shouldn't waste it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    What happens when Western countries finish their vaccination programme? Eg could we see private practises offering the vaccine in UK before our programme finishes in Ireland? Presumably all countries will still keep a level of stock on hand for whatever reason - new arrivals etc.

Northern Ireland vaccine run!

I expect when the UK complete their programme any excess will be offered to us due to the CTA and nonexistent NI border.
    Who wants a potential well of infection on their doorstep?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭hynesie08

460 swabs
    3.58% + rate

Happy Saturday everyone

If the Sunday and Monday low numbers trend continues, we could have a 7 day average below 4%, which is just a massive boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think we are now seeing the effects of better contact tracing(mainly due to lower cases) I id mention it a few weeks ago, do think thats what w are seeing now. If backward tracing is introduced if cases manage to get very low. Then the situation could become very manageable with hotel quarantine and a larger percentage of the population vaccinated.

https://twitter.com/andrewflood/status/1368218341383565312

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

wadacrack wrote: »
    I think we are now seeing the effects of better contact tracing(mainly due to lower cases) I id mention it a few weeks ago, do think thats what w are seeing now. If backward tracing is introduced if cases manage to get very low. Then the situation could become very manageable with hotel quarantine and a larger percentage of the population vaccinated.

We are getting close to levels where areas of infection are getting broken up. We will see more and more parts of the country essentially achieve zero covid now. When numbers are low like this individual spikes in certain towns or factories will become news and these will be named and shamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mr.S wrote: »
    What happens when Western countries finish their vaccination programme? Eg could we see private practises offering the vaccine in UK before our programme finishes in Ireland? Presumably all countries will still keep a level of stock on hand for whatever reason - new arrivals etc.

Northern Ireland vaccine run!
    There's a strong chance we'll be finished before the UK. If not, there'll be barely a couple of weeks in the difference.

Their rush to get first doses to as many as possible is a debt that will have to be repaid.

The UK is aiming for completion (every adult offered two doses) by October. So are we.

So in the end it's likely there'll be little between us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

jackboy wrote: »
    We are getting close to levels where areas of infection are getting broken up. We will see more and more parts of the country essentially achieve zero covid now. When numbers are low like this individual spikes in certain towns or factories will become news and these will be named and shamed.

Nothing like shaming people for getting sick.

Good ole Covid brought out the best in us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

And then we would have a headline accusing Glynn of hiding something.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭top floor

I actually can’t believe how quickly ICU is dropping after stagnating for so long. It could be <50 in two weeks or so!

Sadly the end of the road is being reached. End of life decisions are now being taken by relatives and medical staff in relation to those who went onto ventilators six weeks ago (at the peak of entry to ICU) and are not showing any further hope of recovery.

• Advertisement

crossman47 wrote: »
    And then we would have a headline accusing Glynn of hiding something.

Hiding what? Refusing to comment until you have factual evidence I would suggest is the responsible course of action instead of being party to scaring the sh!te out of pregnant women.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Hiding what? Refusing to comment until you have factual evidence I would suggest is the responsible course of action instead of being party to scaring the sh!te out of pregnant women.

And if there was something to it and they waited you and others would be on here giving out they did not give advice to pregnant people to be careful

If Glynn was blindsided as suggested by another poster surely it would make sense to address the question when more information was available?

But would the media (and many posters here) not be unanimous later in demanding his dismissal for staging a cover-up? Any delay, or lack of detail, by the HSE in releasing information is by definition a "cover-up".

And if there was something to it and they waited yoube on here giving out they did not give advice to pregnant people to be careful

You think pregnant women in the middle of a pandemic need advice to be careful?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

top floor wrote: »
    Sadly the end of the road is being reached. End of life decisions are now being taken by relatives and medical staff in relation to those who went onto ventilators six weeks ago (at the peak of entry to ICU) and are not showing any further hope of recovery.

Proof

top floor wrote: »
    But would the media (and many posters here) not be unanimous later in demanding his dismissal for staging a cover-up? Any delay, or lack of detail, by the HSE in releasing information is by definition a "cover-up".

Who suggested a cover up?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

A poster with a join date <Oct 2020 is best ignored, no matter what side of the debate they place themselves on.

There appears to be a concerted campaign to ferment division on the site, with new posters taking ridiculously hard line stances

I agree but its a moderated open forum if you dont like anyone who objects to the longest hardest in the civiized world I am voting with my feet going back to my home of 12 years life is for living, not covid

Who suggested a cover up?

I am not sure if you misunderstand my point. I am not suggesting a cover-up at all.

The point is that where the HSE does not release all information immediately (even if incomplete) it is open to accusations of a cover-up.

wadacrack wrote: »

Really encouraging to see positivity rate continue to drop alongside decreasing hospital numbers. According to that thread, if trends continue on current trajectory, we could be looking at circa 150 cases on average by next month and sub 100 in 6 weeks time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

I think people want to undermine NPHET and paint them as some sort of boogey men pulling the strings when they just provide info.

If they can discredit them then they can discredit public help advice and benefit their vested interests.

We've seen it right the way through.

It's very telling when certain poster latch on to anything said to undermine them.

Pretty standard, shoot the messenger strategy.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement