Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultimate Battle of Mexico

Options

Comments

Coahuila

Big fan of Madame de la Grande Bouche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Coahuila IMO the colours work well, plus it reminds me of a town crest of a Spanish resort from my youth, and anyway the other looks like a cartoon.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Coahuila, nice colours and a huge level of detail

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Coahuila.
    It has the Basque dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Coahuila
    The coat of arms was approved by the state's congress in 1942.
    The inner shield is divided into three sections. The top left section has a tree and two wolves, which were taken from the coat of arms of Biscay, In the top right section there is a lion rampant on a gold field,. The lower section shows a river, a grove and a raising sun. The grove is related to the word "coahuitl" which means tree in Nahuatl. The river is the Monclova river The sun symbolizes that Coahuila is the birthplace of the Mexican Revolution.

I love this flag. Coahuila for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Coahuila advances to the semi final

Chihuahua

State Capital : Chihuahua

thumb2-flag-of-chihuahua-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-chihuahua-flag.jpg

VS

Colima

State Capital: Colima

thumb2-flag-of-colima-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-colima-flag.jpg

Colima I like the mysterious severed arm.
    Don't like the conquistador reference.

Chihuahua

Tough but just nudges it.

Chihuahua
    The flowers on the upper section are apple tree flowers, which represent the state, as Chihuahua is the main apple producer in Mexico. The main body of the shield is outlined by a laurel wreath symbolizing the triumphs of the people of Chihuahua.
    The bigger section on the top has a blue field for the sky and the three main hills of the City of Chihuahua: Also included are a mining hoist, a portion of the aqueduct of the state's capital and a mesquite tree, all representative of the state.

The central section has a field with sixteen pieces, eight in silver and eight in red which represent the votes to and against the fundation of the City of Chihuahua and that resulted in a tie, over them are the faces of a Spaniard and a Tarahumara looking at each other which represent miscegenation. The lower section, with a blue field, the front of the Cathedral of Chihuahua in gold.
    The words "VALENTÍA, LEALTAD, HOSPITALIDAD" mean "Courage, Loyalty, Hospitality" in Spanish.

This flag for me

• Advertisement

Chihuahua advances to the semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 86,237 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Coahuila

State Capital: Saltillo

• Registered Users Posts: 86,237 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chihuahua

Semi Final kicks off at 7:30PM

Lads and ladies, 30 minutes per semi final. Let us know which your favourites are as we whittle the final four down to a our last pairing. Semi Final 1 is coming up momentarily.

Coahuila

State Capital: Saltillo

thumb2-flag-of-coahuila-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-coahuila-flag.jpg

VS

Tlaxcala

State Capital: Tlaxcala

thumb2-flag-of-tlaxcala-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-tlaxcala-flag.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

Tlaxcala - all around I prefer this one, the red in the bacground and the simple but balanced crest

Coahuila I like it the colours work and it reminds me of a holiday resort.

The other is a tidy enough flag but Coahuila is better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Too many royalty and conquistador nods on Tlaxcala so I will go for the other one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Ah - two of my favourites. I think I'll have to plump for Tlaxcala - the red is quite dashing, and I can mark the other one down for a bit much writing.

• Advertisement

Two of my favourites, but will go for Coahuila this time.
    It's just nicer and the dogs

Still going with the skulls, Tlaxcala gets my vote. Plus the red background makes a nice change from all the white.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,430 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Tlaxcala

Castle and skull and crossbones for me
    The other might of pipped it if it lost the large writing on the flag.

Coahuila
    The inner shield is divided into three sections. The top left section has a tree and two wolves, which were taken from the coat of arms of Biscay (a province in the state)

In the top right section there is a lion rampant on a gold field, and the words "Plus Ultra" from the shield of Badajoz, an important city in Extremadura. This refers to Coahuila's original name of New Extremadura.

The lower section shows a river, a grove and a raising sun. The grove is related to the word "coahuitl" which means tree in Nahuatl. The river is the Monclova river.

The sun symbolizes that Coahuila is the birthplace of the Mexican Revolution.

Tlaxcala

The flag of Tlaxcala is a very old flag in Mexico's flags history. It is a rectangle divided in two diagonal stripes, one in colour red and the other one in white.

The crest, which was given in arms in 1535 (being the first indigenous city to receive one by the Spanish Kingdom) consists a "French style" green-bordered red shield. It bears a yellow castle resembling Castile (Spain) whose flag over the main tower shows the Austrian arms.

Over the border, at the top corners there are two golden initials "I" and "F" for the Catholic Monarchs of Spain, Isabel (Elizabeth) and Fernando (Ferdinand) respectively; between them the letter "K", also golden, for Karolus (Charles I of Spain and V of Germany) who granted to Tlaxcala such arms; in both side two leaves, and in the bottom two skulls and two crossed bones.

I love both flags. I love the reference to the birth of the Mexican revolution on the flag of Coahuila.

I love the colours on the flag of Tlaxcala. As is mentioned already it looks tidy. References to Spanish history is a disadvantage but I love the skull and crossed bones.

Overall aesthetically it's the flag of Tlaxcala for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Coahuila - There aren’t enough flags with rivers on them.

Only one vote in the difference but we have our first finalist.

Tlaxcala advances to the final

Guerrero

State Capital: Chilpancingo

thumb2-flag-of-guerrero-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-guerrero-flag.jpg

VS

Chihuahua

thumb2-flag-of-chihuahua-4k-silk-flag-mexican-state-chihuahua-flag.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Hm. Not sure either of these will win the final, but I like the guy in the jaguar kit. The other one is quite bland - quirky font aside - and I'm surprised it's made it this far tbh

Has to be Guerrero, Jaguar Man on a flag is just bonkers.

• Advertisement

Guerrero
    The jaguar knight keeps on fighting

Advertisement