Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yoghurt milk

• 23-02-2021 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

What are the benefits of yougourt milk, anyone feeding it.

If feeding 3 LTRs per feed could it be 1 ltr of fermented milk/yougourt and 2 LTRs of fresh.

have a weak half off a cow which was imported and seems little or no minerals were fed, thought it might give a some benefit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If feeding 3 LTRs per feed could it be 1 ltr of fermented milk/yougourt and 2 LTRs of fresh.

have a weak half off a cow which was imported and seems little or no minerals were fed, thought it might give a some benefit.
    Dairy farmers feeding yoghurt milk to heifer calves was all the rage a few years ago but I haven't heard much about it since other than people feeding live culture yoghurt to a sick calf. I presume that the calf is sucking the cow and if so then I would give the calf a pot of natural (live culture yoghurt) between two feeds. I use a dosing gun to feed it but a 60ml dosing syringe would also work.
    Edit to add - I don't think you can mix yoghurt milk with fresh milk when feeding as it dilutes the benefits of the live cultures in the yoghurt milk iykwim. Can you make up a batch of 6 litres yoghurt milk daily, keep half a litre back to culture the next batch for the next day. The principle is the same as sour dough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭jntsnk

Always fed yogurt to calves . I used to culture 5 gallons of milk by adding two pots of yogurt into warm milk and leave over night. Then mix it into the auto feeder tank full of cooled milk from plate cooler not bulk tank. Never had digestive or scour issues.
    You could refill another 5 gallons from the feeder tank to use for next fill. Washing was less also as the milk wouldn’t go off as much .
    That’s a while ago now. Not milking any more.

Advertisement