Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Used Car What Precautions Should I Take During Covid?

Options
  • 23-02-2021 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I'm having a look at a car tomorrow to buy, it's through a private seller, it's a nice car, and am meeting the driver tomorrow. I'm just wondering what precautions I should take when buying a car from someone during a pandemic? I don't want to seem rude or anything by pulling out a anti-bac spray or anything, but I do want to have a good look at the car before handing over any money as well. Thankfully their in the same town, and theirs no travel involved, but I'm super anxious about this virus, but I really need a car to care for my parents, for things like hospital or doctors trips, and essential journeys, shops, which I do for them.

I have sprays and everything, hand gel, I also have my mask and a shield. I'm worried about my clothes, so when I get home should I put them immediately in the washing machine? Theirs so much to think about now, it is adding to my anxiety and stress levels. Beside the cost and the insurance lol!

Sorry, just looking for any ideas on what to do around this virus.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

I had to do same recently. I wore a mask (so did they) and I had gloves with me (they didn't). I put the gloves on when handling the keys, examining the car, test driving, etc and then binned them before using hand wipes before getting back in to my own car. I bought the car in question and will be doing the same when I collect (will give it a clean when I get home). The seller didn't seem surprised or offended but to be honest I didn't care if they did.

I didn't do anything with my clothes as I didn't think it was warranted (I'm not in a specific risk group either).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I've sold a few cars privately during the pandemic. Most people have turned up with a mask on, i've always kept my distance, never really any trouble with both parties showing a bit of common sense.

Trickiest bit is wanting to test drive. I went in the back seat, mask on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Is there no valeting place doing a clean that sanitises a vehicle. Are the dealers not going something along those lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

From the seller’s point of view, I don’t think they’d appreciate if you started self sanitising their vehicle, spraying god knows what all over their seats and steering wheel.
    All you can do is protect yourself and use common sense. Test drive might be awkward though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Test drives: When I was selling I sat in the back across from the driver. When I was buying I was just on my own (I'd left my car there with the keys etc).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 brigidcooley75

JoeA3 wrote: »
    From the seller’s point of view, I don’t think they’d appreciate if you started self sanitising their vehicle, spraying god knows what all over their seats and steering wheel.
    All you can do is protect yourself and use common sense. Test drive might be awkward though...

No, I won't do that, as I wouldn't want to be rude. I'll be covered up and as I'll be in a large parking lot, I'll be test driving the car on my own, as I have someone with me who can stay with the seller as I test drive it in the parking lot, which their okay with.

Advertisement