Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspended sentence for causing brain injury

Options
  • 23-02-2021 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Man (24) who caused pub-goer to sustain brain injury after one-punch attack given suspended sentence https://jrnl.ie/5363351

The judge... Martin Nolan....what a surprise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Would it really do any good locking him up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Yes.

It might make others think twice before throwing punches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Thugs from a rich background buying their way out of prison by the sounds of it

Yes.

It might make others think twice before throwing punches.

I really don't think it would

Yes. That’s the nature of the justice system. Or should be.

• Advertisement

You are wrong. A society without laws descends into barbarism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I thought the idea was to punish. Who gives a **** what good it does.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

What if you are his next victim? Will you feel the same?

Don't you think dangerous people should be locked away to protect civilized law abiding people for several years at least?

What if you are his next victim? Will you feel the same?

I don't know, but locking people up isn't always the answer, that's all I'm saying, it can do more harm than good sometimes. If the man was genuinely remorseful for doing something like this and unlikely to do it again I'm not sure what should be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Me_Grapes

Society (99% of the population) in general is put off from going around and punching people at will because of the consequences attached with such actions, i.e being locked up.

And as well, the chap deserves to be punished for his act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I don't know, but locking people up isn't always the answer, that's all I'm saying, it can do more harm than good sometimes. If the man was genuinely remorseful for doing something like this and unlikely to do it again I'm not sure what should be appropriate.

How do you know hes genuinely remorseful? It's very easy to say.

How do you know hes genuinely remorseful? It's very easy to say.

I don't know, but I guess that was up to the judge to decide.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Genuinely remorseful or not the same rules should apply anyone who assaults someone and csuses a brsin injury and the sentencing should be consistent regardless of who the judge is.
    If you don't want jail time don't commit crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

You are wrong. A society without laws descends into barbarism.

Barbarism begins at home

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I really thought you meant the Judge...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Soft sentence
    As the convicted man was being thrown out of the pub, he went back to assault the victim.
    This was after the initial altercation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I think rehabilitation would be better than incarceration. An anger management course and community service and a suspended sentence. Prison should be used as a very last resort. I don’t want Ireland becoming a country where 1 in 50 people are locked up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

The boards.ie lynch group are really clutching at straws with this one, no previous convictions, seems genuinely remorseful, willing to compensate, very unlikely to reoffend, and the real damage to the victim may have been as a result of a fall after the assault.

If ever there was a case for a suspended sentence then it seems this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Yes, it would. My Brother died in exactly the same type of stupid attack. Lock em up. Set an example.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭thefa

begbysback wrote: »
    The boards.ie lynch group are really clutching at straws with this one, no previous convictions, seems genuinely remorseful, willing to compensate, very unlikely to reoffend, and the real damage to the victim may have been as a result of a fall after the assault.

It’s not that basic at all. He was remorseful after they tracked him down. Left the scene after sucker punching the guy and leaving him unconscious.

No punch, no fall. Which impact caused the greater damage is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Nolan?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

Is anybody else sick of hearing that so and so wrote a lovely reference to submit to the judge. I don't think it matters if he was nice in that person's experience, what really matters is what happened in the course of the incident.

Poor ****er has no sense of smell now and at risk of seizures but sure wasn't your man that clattered him a grand footballer back in the day.

Judge: Say no more, suspended sentence.

Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Yes, it would. My Brother died in exactly the same type of stupid attack. Lock em up. Set an example.

I agree.

My father was killed (stabbed in the stomach) by someone who a few years before had stabbed some one else. They were very remorseful, the first time, and escaped a prison sentence. For my fathers murder they were found guilty, sentenced to life, and were out in 10.

Families of the victim need to be considered too, trying to move on with your life is much more difficult when you feel the weight of injustice (soft sentence).

EDIT: Having now actually read the report, it was not as serious a injury as I assumed, but I still think the punishment was soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Suspended sentence but he should be paying compensation for the rest of his life.

poisonated wrote: »
    I think rehabilitation would be better than incarceration. An anger management course and community service and a suspended sentence. Prison should be used as a very last resort. I don’t want Ireland becoming a country where 1 in 50 people are locked up.

So better to leave criminals on the streets committing more crime? Sure as long as he's wiping a bit of graffiti off the walls in-between muggings, that's ok. Nah, anyone that's on their 10th strike should be taken out of society for societies safety.

And before anyone complains about the cost, factor in their free house, welfare, legal aid and the cost of constantly chasing them and bringing them to court. Prison is probable cheaper.
    SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I agree.

My father was killed (stabbed in the stomach) by someone who a few years before had stabbed some one else. They were very remorseful, the first time, and escaped a prison sentence. For my fathers murder they were found guilty, sentenced to life, and were out in 10.

Families of the victim need to be considered too, trying to move on with your life is much more difficult when you feel the weight of injustice (soft sentence).

EDIT: Having now actually read the report, it was not as serious a injury as I assumed, but I still think the punishment was soft.

My sympathies for your father. Life is 25 years, remission at 10 years is a very significant reduction, especially for a repeat offender. Was there some unusual circumstances? Like a terminal illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I agree.

Jaysus. Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I'm sure you'd have a different opinion if it was your son who'd gotten brain damage .

I'm sure you'd have a different opinion if it was your son who'd gotten brain damage .

I don't think so, this guy doesn't sound like a scumbag to me, I think most blokes have it in them to get in a row at least once in their lives or throw a punch they shouldn't have.
    I just don't think locking him up would do any good, so I agree with the judge in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If only the victim had run out in front of a car in order to aquire his brain injury, he'd be a millionaire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

begbysback wrote: »

No previous convictions = Never caught before

very unlikely to reoffend = An assumption.

I hung out with a guy like this when I was in my late 20's. Would get tanked up and get aggressive with people. Looking for fights. Nicest guy in the world when sober, a demon when drunk. But always "remorseful" the next day.

Did it stop him getting tanked up and looking for fights the next time? No.

Maybe 6-12 months in the can would have forced him to change his behaviour.

Advertisement