Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for learner driver, new to Ireland

Options
  • 24-02-2021 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I'm new to Ireand (live in Dublin) and got my car learner permit. I'm looking for insurance options so I can buy a car (have shortlisted a 2008 model). Unlike many others with a learner permit, I don't have family/spouse in this country on whose insurance policy I can be an add-on. I tried 123 insurance but they say I'm not eligible as I don't have driving experience. Any suggestions on which company does insurance for learner permit holders in my situation?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭User1998

If your 25+ you will get insurance no problem, it will just be quiet expensive, around €2500+ for something with a small engine

Just google ‘car insurance’ and take note of every phone number and try them all, or try some insurance brokers like Chill Insurance who will do the searching for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

My niece and my son got a good deal from Axa, they do a discount if you sign up for the lessons at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 choheinzz

User1998 wrote: »
    If your 25+ you will get insurance no problem, it will just be quiet expensive, around €2500+ for something with a small engine

Just google ‘car insurance’ and take note of every phone number and try them all, or try some insurance brokers like Chill Insurance who will do the searching for you

Thanks. I'm 25+ so hopefully will find a company willing to give me insurance!

My niece and my son got a good deal from Axa, they do a discount if you sign up for the lessons at the same time.

Thanks. Will check with Axa.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm afraid you will just have to contact most of them, there is no one insurance company that is cheapest for everyone. Just be sitting down when you get prices though as insurance in Ireland is probably more ridiculously expensive than what you are used to in your home country.

• Advertisement

This raises a lot of questions, actually. How do you find someone to accompany you on every single drive if you're a recent entry to the country and don't know any qualified drivers?

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Afroshack

Liberty are good value! Got insurance as a learner for €1200 when everyone else wanted €2000

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'm afraid you will just have to contact most of them, there is no one insurance company that is cheapest for everyone. Just be sitting down when you get prices though as insurance in Ireland is probably more ridiculously expensive than what you are used to in your home country.

:( Thanks for the warning. Indeed, some of the things I read online seem to suggest that the insurance cost here often exceeds car cost for newbies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

choheinzz wrote: »
    :( Thanks for the warning. Indeed, some of the things I read online seem to suggest that the insurance cost here often exceeds car cost for newbies!

When I was starting off. I was getting outrageous quotes for an older car. Double price of car so I decided to buy a small engine newer car and it brought down the quote drastically.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Afroshack wrote: »
    Liberty are good value! Got insurance as a learner for €1200 when everyone else wanted €2000

Afroshack, can I ask how old you are. I just tried to get a quote from Librterty for my 18 year old daughter who just got her full license and they declined to quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

You might well find that looking at a newer car brings down the insurance by more than the difference in the cost of the car. Insurance companies don't like cars over 10 years old.

Advertisement