Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WFH KVM Setup

Options
  • 24-02-2021 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for KVM switches, or other means of switching between your home desktop and work computer?

I've got a windows desktop pc with a GPU that has 1 HDMI and 3 Display Ports. That's connected to two Dell 60Hz 2560x1440 monitors and one Acer 144Hz 3440x1440 monitor. I'm using a corsair keyboard that takes up two USB ports (maybe one is just for the rgb lighting? Not sure, if that's the case I really don't care about lighting so could live without), along with a fairly standard usb mouse and webcam.

Meanwhile my work computer is a Macbook Pro with 4 USB-C ports. Ideally I'd like to connect it to two of the monitors (the acer and one of the Dells) along with the mouse, keyboard and webcam. As I use the desktop for gaming I don't want a system that would introduce latency.

What kind of solutions work for this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I had a sort of similar question appear in a thread of my own a few months ago
    If you can afford them, I would highly recommend Logitech MX Keys and MX Master 3 combo. They are expensive, but they are amazing. You can easily connect them to up to 3 machines (PC, Mac), and switch between them seamlessly with the Options app.

Otherwise, have a look at Synergy. It's a software solution that allows you to operate multiple machines with the same keyboard and mouse. This works well, but you need to have the server online (the machine where the keyboard and mouse are physically connected) in order to operate the other one.

Might be useful for you. I didn't pull the trigger because like you I've a peripheral setup that I've spent a good deal on so far so changing them out for a second expensive set of peripheral's would get me a look from the better half :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

The Logitech gear would not help him, since he wants to switch monitors as well.

I have multiple machines, each with its own monitor(s), and no monitor switching is needed. Hence, the Logitech gear helps me a lot to drive any one of these machines and their respective monitor(s).

The OP wants to switch monitors too. And with the latency constraint, there's no easy answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭quokula

The monitors do have multiple inputs built in so I can toggle between them if I need to and just have a switch for peripherals. The Dells (which were top of the range at the time but are nearly a decade old) only seem to do 1440p on the single DVI input and are maxed to 1080p on the HDMI input though. I can live with this as a second work monitor if I have to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Advertisement