Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a new monitor, can I buy 4k?

Options
  • 24-02-2021 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently using a 23" monitor for my home office and it has a scratch which is annoying me.

I am thinking of buying a new monitor , probably 27", but wondering should I stretch to buy a 4k one?

My own laptop has a GTX 1050 graphics card, which I know is quite old at this point, and my work laptop has an Intel UHD 620.

Can any of them handle 4k? Or should I just buy a cheaper Full HD monitor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

1440p is sweet spot for 27", 4k is silly unless you want a mahooosive monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,612 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Would you notice much difference in 1080p v 1440p?

Only really being used for home office stuff, not gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

NIMAN wrote: »
    I am currently using a 23" monitor for my home office and it has a scratch which is annoying me.

I am thinking of buying a new monitor , probably 27", but wondering should I stretch to buy a 4k one?

My own laptop has a GTX 1050 graphics card, which I know is quite old at this point, and my work laptop has an Intel UHD 620.

Can any of them handle 4k? Or should I just buy a cheaper Full HD monitor?

Are you paying for it yourself or is it a company cost?
    TBH, 4k for just home office use is overkill

Buying it myself (unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Would you notice much difference in 1080p v 1440p?

Only really being used for home office stuff, not gaming.

I think the difference is huge.
    I used to work in an office (oh, those were the days) and had two 1440p monitors. And the odd times I had to WFH, connected to a 1080p panel, I would feel the difference in screen real estate. The 15in Macbook, while smaller, would be capable of showing more information than the 24in monitor.

Not long after, I invested in a pair of 1440p monitors (24in) and WFH has been great since. And during the pandemic, these monitors have paid off in a big way.

• Advertisement

Another question now that you've introduced, would I be better buying a 24" 1440p monitor versus a 27" 1080p then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Another question now that you've introduced, would I be better buying a 24" 1440p monitor versus a 27" 1080p then?

I would not buy a 27in 1080p monitor.

I would get a 1440p monitor, 24in, 27in, even a ultrawide (if you can afford it, and have room for it). Or two 24in monitors on a desktop stand.

Advertisement