Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Water - Single National Public Water Utility

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I have no problem with Irish Water being set up to look after the water infrastructure in the country. I think there should be one for each of utilities in the country and they should be enshrined in the constitution so that they cannot be sold off. I think bringing everything under the one roof should hopefully improve the service, removing a layer a of bureaucracy is can be a good thing. The job of work for Irish water to upgrade the system is massive one so I don't we will be seeing improvements for a while yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

We had a water department in each council. They would look after any issue pertaining to water needs. They would hire companies as needed to carry out works. They answered to the council and the department of the environment.
    They were underfunded for decades but Irish Water will tell you they did great works despite being under funded.
    All we needed was more funding. Could have used the money wasted on IW/metering/looking after our own/sweet deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

In Ireland, every new quango and department just means more bureaucracy, more office staff and of course more senior executive positions, the replaced agencies never manage to lose the same number of staff. The cost of official Ireland before anything actually useful gets done just keeps ballooning.

Advertisement