Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2021

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Hi folks! What happens if you don't take the refund option now and then end up getting injured and unable to run in 2022? Can you defer to 2023 or is the entry just wasted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I'd say there will be a window again early summer 2022 to pass on places given there weren't enough places left over for club/AI entries after the general ballot in early 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Does anyone actually think this will go ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

in 5 years time probably the way things are going in Ireland

• Advertisement

Postponement of DCM 2022 incoming....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Well good to see some people are delighted

Genuinely though I do think they should reconsider moving to the summer given how we've gone so far backwards in the last month.

From reading Varadkars tone yesterday it seems they are loath to disagree with restrictions in winter. Limits on outdoor events void of scientific reasoning as it is seems to be, is still on the cards to be phased in and out along with other measures.

Can DCM afford another year of a non event without the status of the event being compromised?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

DCM can't afford to plan to go ahead without some guarantees from the government. They are too small to swallow the costs themselves, but too big to be able to just wing it at the last moment without spending big in advance.

A temporary move to the end of August/ start of September could be a good idea for next year though. Still leaves them practically the same time to organise, weather less likely to be too hot, and less chance of getting caught up with another winter set of restrictions. They are no longer tied to the bank holiday Monday either now so moving the date is doable.

They could even hold it in the park alone late August as they have a slot with the series.

Just means extending restrictions on roads for most of the day but doable with planning.

Would be easy manage from a start/finish point of view and also ensuring most spectators have to walk in there spreads out the crowds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

What route do you suggest in park? How many do you allow enter? How do you manage leading group getting through thousands of people lapping them

You'd have to close the full park to traffic.

Left lane for lap one and lapped runners. Elites get right lane on subsequent laps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That would definitely be the shittest marathon ever.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've signed up for a repeat of 5 laps around quiet country lanes again next April in order to try for my GFA time. That was pretty rubbish in 2020 running mostly alone for 3 hours in heavy rain. :)

If it was left to the likes of you there won't be a marathon next year in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Still what is your lap? Elites will be I guess 15km in before last person even starts even on short waves. So you’d have thousands of people filtering in a car width route?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FinnC

Sure why not just run it up and down the M50. Road is plenty wide 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Wottle

It's not a bad idea if they want to dig themselves out of a hole, run the event while disincentivising the average runner, therefore reducing the numbers.

Bit like Ryanair, run the event and no refunds.

I for one couldn't do a lapped marathon course and hopefully things improve for 2023

Nothing wrong with multi-lap races. I’ve done plenty of them too. They work well with small to medium numbers. But you can’t have a big mass market event (I presume that’s what’s being proposed) on a narrow course, especially one that would probably end up having to cross itself, Chaos. Numbers wise, the Dublin HM is about the limit of what you can do in the Phoenix Park. Even that is pushing it.

You could certainly have a small Phoenix Park marathon. But not a big mass market Dublin Marathon in the park.

You could go with similar to the half route from 2012-2019.

It usually only covered the same ground for a mile or less. Surely with more use of Farmleigh grounds it could lead to a full lap without retracing your steps.

Scaling up numbers X 4 is the obvious challenge though.

2012 for example

• Advertisement

That route uses most of the roads in the park and still has to leave the park twice to get in the HM distance. There's no way you're going to find another 13 miles in there, Farmleigh or no. You could add a lap of the zoo (that would be pretty cool actually) but you're nowhere near avoiding a 2 lap route, so you can't avoid the route crossing itself. You also have a problem there with the Finish area being surrounded by the course. The last few HMs there you had finishers interfering with the race at the junction of Furze Road and Chesterfield, trying to get back to their cars while people were still running. You could change that finish area, but not many available areas left, and they have to be at the city end of the park to be viable. The Phoenix Park is a fantastic place to run but it's not big enough for the kind of marathon we are talking about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Would be very surprised to see it happening in 2022 or 2023 and would be even more surprised if they tried to pull a different route like running 4 laps of the park, numbers just too big .

Hoping to find another event of similar size in England as i like the idea of a september or october run, can do the training in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Absolutely no reason it couldn't have went ahead this year in October so not sure why people are so pessimistic about next year?

As we speak the muppets who run Wales are putting sporting events behind closed doors.

DCM should have went ahead this year, surely, it will be Jim's legacy and he has decided it himself. The only big city marathon in western Europe which didn't go ahead this autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Frankfurt comes to mind. I'm sure there were more. Hopefully Dublin will happen in 2022, and lots of other races too.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FinnC

Seems to me there are some that would love it not to happen just so they could complain about it not happening…

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

The only people who would love it to not happen are the hide under the bed types, there are quite a few on here though surprisingly.

Middle aged men with public service jobs, a lethal combination for pontificating to the rest of who have still lived in the real world since March 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

Move it to the August Bank Holiday Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Middle aged public servant here, also known as a front-line worker.

Almost all front-line workers are public servants: doctors, nurses, gardai, ambulance, lab techs, fire service and all the rest. I've been working in the health service every day since the pandemic began, treating sick people and making decisions every few minutes that could save or take a life. What have you been doing? What have you done to help in the pandemic? Have you ever made a decision affecting thousands before? Or even one person's life? Or do you just rant online? You seem to have a fair bit of pontificating to do yourself and lots of time to do it in.

For 20 months I have worked in the front-line, slept, and trained when I can and very little else. I wear PPE and worry I'll get sick or make others sick. I stayed away from most of my family as much as possible. I've posted less than a dozen times on boards.ie in that time I'd say. You seem to post that many times every day. And when you do post, it's nothing but childish and bitchy sh1te. What do you get from this exactly? Do you not have anything else in your life?

I want the marathon to go ahead. I don't want it in August (are you fcking kidding me??) In fact, I can't recall anyone actually wanting it to be cancelled. Anyone even discussing that is doing so because they DON'T want it cancelled. We all want life back to normal. We all want races and family and travel as normal.

But, yeah, clearly I am the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭pc11

Dear rovers_runner, please do NOT send me private messages, thanks.

Especially messages that could be read as a veiled threat. That's just childish and silly.

Can you block people on here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

Did Jim piss in your cornflakes or steal your lunch money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

What have we here....

Highlights include people falling over themselves to outdo each other with virtue signalling, a money grabbing gp who lined his pockets acting the hero, funny how covid disappeared overnight once the world realised it had real problems.

While of course gp's around the country continue to do as they please and refuse to take on new patients.

Worth noting though that Dublin was 1 of only 2 big city marathon cancelled last Autumn, also one in Netherlands I think it was.

Advertisement