Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    5000 at large outdoor venues from august.

That's the marathon out the window

Not the full story, 25pc of large venues, Croker would be over 20k.

I could see(hope) a marathon going ahead but probably not at full capacity and possibly other restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭ger664

It wont be finically viable to stage the race on the streets with anything less then 15,000 to 20,000
    runners for the organisers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Not the full story, 25pc of large venues, Croker would be over 20k.

I could see(hope) a marathon going ahead but probably not at full capacity and possibly other restrictions.

In early August, up to 5,000 people could be able to attend events in big outdoor venues, or 25% of capacity, whichever is the lower figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

5000 at large outdoor venues from august.

That's the marathon out the window

25 percent of a closed stadium.
    Progress as I see it.

Apples and oranges to compare it to a road wide enough for 8 cars as a start line for DCM.
    I see their choice is approx 60% or 15000 with 4 waves, less than 4000 a wave 20 mins apart minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

20000 at the all Ireland final doesn’t translate well to DCM when you combine 20000 runners + god knows how many spectators along the route and stewards as well. In a country where ‘an abundance of caution’ is a slogan this ain’t happening.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

20000 at the all Ireland final doesn’t translate well to DCM when you combine 20000 runners + god knows how many spectators along the route and stewards as well. In a country where ‘an abundance of caution’ is a slogan this ain’t happening.

Yeah thats what the leaks last night are saying to me. Hope I'm wrong. Really think we are being far too cautious now. The 80% of adults By June 30th will be missed by a small amount so lets prolong this for the summer seems to be the approach.

Hope the govt grow a pair and get far more proactive with this. They need to recognise that people have largely given up now. We ain't stupid. So react accordingly.

Colm Henry "the profile has changed of cases. Outbreaks, hospitalisation, deaths, cases to do with vaccinated groups, have all collapsed". Not word for word but thats the gist of what the chief clinical officer of the HSE said yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

They could do something like this.

Have 10K entrants.
    All entries from last year carry over so they have about 20k people entered.
    Offer all 20k the option to defer to next year. If you choose to defer, guaranteed a place in 2022.
    If you dont, you go in to another lottery for this year.
    Those drawn out get to run this year.
    Those who dont get deferred to next year.

Means you have a marathon of 10k this year and then for 2022 you have 10k deferred to it so then do normal lottery entry for the rest.

Might not be financially viable, so maybe its 15k entrants or whatever the govt allow. But I could see something like that and I'd be happy with it. If it was me, I would defer to next year, no interest in a sanitized or smaller DCM. If thats the case I would go run a smaller marathon. I run Dublin for the size of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

event wrote: »

Have 10K entrants.
    Offer all 20k the option to defer to next year. If you choose to defer, guaranteed a place in 2022.

Means you have a marathon of 10k this year and then for 2022 you have 10k deferred to it so then do normal lottery entry for the rest.

Might not be financially viable, so maybe its 15k entrants or whatever the govt allow. But I could see something like that and I'd be happy with it. If it was me, I would defer to next year, no interest in a sanitized or smaller DCM. If thats the case I would go run a smaller marathon. I run Dublin for the size of it

Other half is expecting around the DCM weekend so I'd be happy to defer and guarantee a place for 2022 if the option arrived. Live in the West so it's not like I'd only be gone for a few hours. I presume others will have their own reasons for deferring. Probably not 10k but some.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Have 10K entrants.

If they're going to start picking and choosing who gets to run in a scaled back event, I'd suggest prioritizing those who:

(a) Showed their loyalty by running the virtual event last October

and/or:

(b) Had an entry for 2020 and supported the financial viability of the DCM organization by not requesting a refund on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Whatever about runners in the starting pens, if spectators along a 26 mile route are cause for concern then we may as well crawl under our beds for good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

geodesic wrote: »
    If they're going to start picking and choosing who gets to run in a scaled back event, I'd suggest prioritizing those who:

and/or:

(b) Had an entry for 2020 and supported the financial viability of the DCM organization by not requesting a refund on that

The sentiment is nice with those two options but many many people had to prioritise funds for real life stuff and had zero interest in training for a virtual marathon.

They should see how many would like to defer before making a final decision. That will give them an approximate number on how many are interested in being on the start line if it were to go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

and/or:

If you really want to do it by loyalty, give it to those who have ran it the most over the years.

Virtual doesnt count as too much going on for alot of people back then.

and/or:

Show loyalty to people who decided to run a virtual event?

And obviously if you requested a refund for 2020 you wouldnt be in for 2021. How would you be, you got a refund?

Show loyalty to people who decided to run a virtual event?

And obviously if you requested a refund for 2020 you wouldnt be in for 2021. How would you be, you got a refund?

Eh, well, yeah. That was my point. Give priority to the people who stood by the event by not requesting a refund and/or by running the virtual event. There was 4,149 in the latter group, of whom I'd guess many are in the former group also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Eh, well, yeah. That was my point. Give priority to the people who stood by the event by not requesting a refund and/or by running the virtual event. There was 4,149 in the latter group, of whom I'd guess many are in the former group also.

You choose people who paid a few euro for a non event as that's what virtual events are. You are paying for a medal etc to do a run around your area over people who've ran it for 5, 10, 20, 30 years?

I signed up to the virtual so Im happy either way if they did go down that route. But there are people who have done one DCM in 2019 and a virtual last year and some people who have done 20 of them. You think the former should have preference?

No special treatment to anyone, that will only cause complaints. Its fairer just to have all names in a hat and draw it that way if they had to

I signed up to the virtual so Im happy either way if they did go down that route. But there are people who have done one DCM in 2019 and a virtual last year and some people who have done 20 of them. You think the former should have preference?

No special treatment to anyone, that will only cause complaints. Its fairer just to have all names in a hat and draw it that way if they had to

The virtual isn't and never will be a marathon, it was a revenue generator to keep them ticking over so unfair to give preference to people who paid into it.
    I paid for it out of loyalty to them but didn't do it as its not the marathon if you aren't on the course.

Loyalty to past participants counts for a lot as was shown by how they rectified the problems with entry to 2020 before pandemic hit.

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    You choose people who paid a few euro for a non event as that's what virtual events are. You are paying for a medal etc to do a run around your area over people who've ran it for 5, 10, 20, 30 years?

That "non event" may have been the difference between ongoing financial viability and bankruptcy for the DCM.

IIRC around 13,000 signed up for the virtual events run on the marathon weekend last year at various distances ... equates to a couple hundred grand in revenue when you include the merchandising sales.

BTW I'd have no problem with them also giving the very few who've run it 20 or 30 times a guaranteed entry. There are likely so few of them that the DCM organizers know them all personally.

That "non event" may have been the difference between ongoing financial viability and bankruptcy for the DCM.

IIRC around 13,000 signed up for the virtual events run on the marathon weekend last year at various distances ... equates to a couple hundred grand in revenue when you include the merchandising sales.

BTW I'd have no problem with them also giving the very few who've run it 20 or 30 times a guaranteed entry. There are likely so few of them that the DCM organizers know them all personally.

So you think people who threw them a few quid last year over people who've given them hundreds over the years? When they didn't even have a sponsor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

So you think people who threw them a few quid last year over people who've given them hundreds over the years? When they didn't even have a sponsor?

I doubt they have a database of how many each person has done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,836 ✭✭✭Trampas

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I doubt they have a database of how many each person has done.

Results page on website gives how people did

Well I've done it 4 times myself up to 2019, so I get it that the "real" event beats out the virtual version every time. But I also feel I got good value each of those times, it's not like the DCM organizers owe me anything - they produced quality, well run events with a reasonable entry fee (by international standards).

The 2021 event, if it goes ahead, is essentially a delayed running of the 2020 marathon - so seems logical to me to prioritzie the folks who stood by the DCM organization during that difficult time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

If the new target of having 70% fully vaccinated by the end of July, there really is no reason to limit the DCM numbers 3 months later.

To alleviate congestion at the start, it could be as simple as everyone walking with their 2 arms outstretched until they cross the start line. Not perfect but would remove any issues with no SD at the start pens.

Well I've done it 4 times myself up to 2019, so I get it that the "real" event beats out the virtual version every time. But I also feel I got good value each of those times, it's not like the DCM organizers owe me anything - they produced quality, well run events with a reasonable entry fee (by international standards).

The 2021 event, if it goes ahead, is essentially a delayed running of the 2020 marathon - so seems logical to me to prioritzie the folks who stood by the DCM organization during that difficult time.

Would you go as far as who ran the other virtual events or who bought some gear if numbers still to many.

If an elite didn't do the virtual are they out?

But there is people who stood with them through darker times also, these are the ones that need to be looked after first.

Then you have the volunteers that looked after the events over the years, those club runners and clubs need to be looked after. No volunteers, no race.

So signing up for the VM is great, but its not the deciding factor, the deciding factor is those that stood with the marathon over the years and will continue to do that over the next 20 years!!

Thats one thing that will decide if DCM goes ahead as well, volunteers. Some people might not be comfortable with volunteering this year, which is their own choice.

Thats one thing that will decide if DCM goes ahead as well, volunteers. Some people might not be comfortable with volunteering this year, which is their own choice.

Don't think volunteers will be the issue.

Tony Holohan will be though

PUP being phased back from Sept.
    I think we have lift off, in Ireland if you follow the money trail it's usually where you will find the answers.

PUP being phased back from Sept.
    I think we have lift off, in Ireland if you follow the money trail it's usually where you will find the answers.

Reducing the pup as people are refusing to go back to work. Wait till they are asked to pay the tax on the pup payments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Is it a given that it will go ahead. ?June now so probably should start upping mileage if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ittakestwo wrote: »
    Is it a given that it will go ahead. ?June now so probably should start upping mileage if so.

I would say far from a given.

Reducing the pup as people are refusing to go back to work. Wait till they are asked to pay the tax on the pup payments

Reducing the PUP and increasing property taxes as they are broke.
    By reducing this payment they would have to open all sectors of the economy, otherwise they are forcing people out of work without continued supports.

They are also cutting the payment completely for 3rd level students from Sept.
    It will make 2008 look like a holiday by the end.

ittakestwo wrote: »

June 25th Is D-Day

Tony Holohans hissy fit on Saturday has me thinking the marathon will be no go or very limited.

June 25th Is D-Day

Tony Holohans hissy fit on Saturday has me thinking the marathon will be no go or very limited.

Strange to make the call on a Friday, must have a sit down with stakeholders and Govt ministers on the Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

June 25th Is D-Day

It should be the opposite!

If all those people can be on top of each other singing and shouting for hours and no spike is recorded, then it renders any advice against a short time in a starting pen ridiculous.

• Advertisement

It should be the opposite!

If all those people can be on top of each other singing and shouting for hours and no spike is recorded, then it renders any advice against a short time in a starting pen ridiculous.

Forget it.

https://twitter.com/AndreaHoran/status/1400085421078482948?s=19

Fairly grim outcome alright, when there is no spike in two weeks time we can rightly push back against this nanny state behaviour.
    Until then though it's a case of how deep a hole the powers that be dig for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Fairly grim outcome alright, when there is no spike in two weeks time we can rightly push back against this nanny state behaviour.
    Until then though it's a case of how deep a hole the powers that be dig for themselves.

Sadly, we have plenty of evidence already to suggest outdoor transmission is negligible. But every time something happens, it's a "superspreader".

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Alana123

I think we will get to run marathon. My auntie who is 48 got her first Phizer jab yesterday. The gap between the AstraZeneca Jabs are quicker now which means more people will be vaccinated Then planned over the next 4 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sgal

Alana123 wrote: »
    I think we will get to run marathon. My auntie who is 48 got her first Phizer jab yesterday. The gap between the AstraZeneca Jabs are quicker now which means more people will be vaccinated Then planned over the next 4 months!!

Agreed! I registered for the vaccine yesterday and received my appointment for this Sunday. Manufacturing issues will ease as production goes on so supply will be more reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

sgal wrote: »
    Agreed! I registered for the vaccine yesterday and received my appointment for this Sunday. Manufacturing issues will ease as production goes on so supply will be more reliable.

I hope ye are right folks- finding it hard to be positive about returning to normal enough conditions that would allow a 20k+ marathon after the last year and a half of ups and downs.
    All well and good having everyone vaccinated but by then we could be told that a booster is need for the ψ variant. I just find it easier to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I hope ye are right folks- finding it hard to be positive about returning to normal enough conditions that would allow a 20k+ marathon after the last year and a half of ups and downs.
    All well and good having everyone vaccinated but by then we could be told that a booster is need for the ψ variant. I just find it easier to expect the worst and be pleasantly surprised.

The thing is they need to make the call so early - end of June. Things should be different by then but it’s hard to envisage it given the restrictive manner of the last 15 months. If we don’t have a date for park run, I think getting the okay for a major marathon is going to be a challenge.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The thing is they need to make the call so early - end of June. Things should be different by then but it’s hard to envisage it given the restrictive manner of the last 15 months. If we don’t have a date for park run, I think getting the okay for a major marathon is going to be a challenge.

Dont understand why parkrun isn't back yet.
    Unless its the contact tracing but there is none of that on a sat night in town

Sat night in town isn't isn't organised event. Parkrun is

Sat night in town isn't isn't organised event. Parkrun is

Streets closed off, ber served, tables provided etc. That's pretty organised

The issue with parkrun is that you can rock up and take part and head off again with no trace of you being there if you so wish.
    With an organised paid event you can have a register of attendees at least, with chip timing even better again.

It is a concern though that they can't even get permission for 200 at this stage.
    Looking at dept health and Govt there are a lot of people who are fit and healthly(compared to years past) with an interest in sport but the lobbying isnt there.

Don't see DCM organisers being able to commit to anything as of now.
    Plus they have no plan or announcement on how they would limit numbers so people won't start training without a definite target, training plans should be kicking in around the end of June. Ballot would need to be immediately after a decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Would there be any point in the organisers trying to get a sense of their numbers ahead of 25th?

For example - how many participants have they signed up? Minus those who want refunds. Offer a deferral until next year and minus those who want to avail of that.

They may be able to run it at a lower capacity without upsetting anybody that way? Or at least they will know what numbers they are asking for from the council. Financially, they may be okay with the funds coming in from the virtual series and if they run a virtual marathon again too?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

errr. fairly flawed
    Anyone could run that virtual event, so its hardly loyal.

If you wanted to go on loyal, then it would make sense to give priority to those that have run actual DCM events in the past number of X years.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Is there anywhere to check if you currently hold an entry?

Mar Azul wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to check if you currently hold an entry?

Your email

• Advertisement
Advertisement