Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Your email

Cheers, I searched but can't find anything. I did a big clean out. Fairly certain I have an entry but would just like to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

Mar Azul wrote: »
    Cheers, I searched but can't find anything. I did a big clean out. Fairly certain I have an entry but would just like to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Mar Azul

py wrote: »

Cheers, that sorted it and I do have an entry. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Would there be any point in the organisers trying to get a sense of their numbers ahead of 25th?

For example - how many participants have they signed up? Minus those who want refunds. Offer a deferral until next year and minus those who want to avail of that.

They may be able to run it at a lower capacity without upsetting anybody that way? Or at least they will know what numbers they are asking for from the council. Financially, they may be okay with the funds coming in from the virtual series and if they run a virtual marathon again too?

Well 20% of the runners are overseas visitors.
    Allow for even 10% cancellations from domestic runners, given what’s been going on over the past 18 months, and you’re at 70% capacity without much effort - but that’s still 17,000 runners.

[url] https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/other-sports/dublin-marathon-optimistic-for-25-000-runners-this-october-1.4555926[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Cabaal wrote: »
    errr. fairly flawed
    Anyone could run that virtual event, so its hardly loyal.

If you wanted to go on loyal, then it would make sense to give priority to those that have run actual DCM events in the past number of X years.

Well I'm one of actual DCM event runners also (for X=4) and TBH I feel like I already got my value for each of those events - they owe me nothing more for those events, over and above the well-managed races they already produced.

But yeah, I understand there are different views on this. Neither of us posting here are going to sway the outcome one way or the other. I'd suspect the decision is already made, and in any case they've committed to announcing on Friday fortnight so we'll see soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My guess, rollover to spring (when lockdowns are hopefully a thing of the past) or some kind of lottery for this autumn with rollover (or refund) to 2022 for lottery loosers.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd be happy to fly over an run in October, less happy if I have to pay hundreds extra each way for getting tests.

Isolating would get me out of needing to do the school run for a few days though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Belfast Marathon confirmed but date change to 3rd October ..... Bode well for Dublin ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Belfast Marathon confirmed but date change to 3rd October ..... Bode well for Dublin ???

Electric picnic is going ahead sept 24th-26th
    If that can happen then DCM can go ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

Was just about to say that.

Dublin could move theirs off the traditional weekend, thats what EP and Belfast have done now.

Move it to end of November

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

event wrote: »

Move it to end of November

Don't think that would help as you'd be heading into rising numbers of flu cases by then, which we don't know how that will pan out this year as could be non existent after a year and a half of minimal cases world wide so new strains not appearing...or could be a new tougher strain which they don't manage to predict in the annual flu jabs... and then layer some covid variants on top of that and could be a bad winter. No suggestion that it will be anything like the last year, but there will be a lot of nervous hospital staff that they won't get a relatively easier year I'd predict.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,861 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Electric picnic is going ahead sept 24th-26th
    If that can happen then DCM can go ahead.

No they are confident it can go ahead but not sure yet. They got a big grant to help them cut down on the attendance also

I think if Dublin goes ahead, it be only for residents in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

I think if Dublin goes ahead, it be only for residents in the county.

Keep the culchies out

UM1 wrote: »
    Keep the culchies out

Haha. Too late. We already run Dublin:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I'll be looking for a refund at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Do they have an idea where they stand on volunteers?

How many do they need?

Without them they've no chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

No they are confident it can go ahead but not sure yet. They got a big grant to help them cut down on the attendance also

That's not the case. Perhaps the change of date may mean some request a refund, but the funds were not to simply cut xx amount of thousands who have tickets. Imagine how difficult that would be?!

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    Do they have an idea where they stand on volunteers?

How many do they need?

Without them they've no chance

Thats a big obstacle I reckon

That's not the case. Perhaps the change of date may mean some request a refund, but the funds were not to simply cut xx amount of thousands who have tickets. Imagine how difficult that would be?!

They were on the radio saying they got a grant for over 400,000 to help.

They got it from this https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0616/1147757-arts-funding/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Has there been any leaks or kite-flying at all yet?

I'm still hopeful rather than expectant at this stage

Nah, dont think you'll get any leaks really. It'll be announced next Friday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Suppose it might leak once all stakeholders meet next week.
    OPW, AGS, DCC members who will be dealing with permit applications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

so we are expecting formal announcement on thursday, correct?

so we are expecting formal announcement on thursday, correct?

By Friday officially:

https://twitter.com/dublinmarathon/status/1389897665060642819?s=20

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Fully expecting it to be cancelled based on the charade that we saw in Croke Park at the weekend.

The Danes last night would do your heart good, packed stadium and enjoying life.

I assume if this one doesnt go ahead the October Irish 3/4 marathon is a dead duck again this year, anyone heard anything about that one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

But if they cancel it for this year - what do the organisers do then? Do they just push all entrants off until next year - people who technically are holding an entry for 2020 based on having run in 2019? Would many people just get pee'd off and demand a refund? Would people just get fed up waiting for DCM?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    But if they cancel it for this year - what do the organisers do then? Do they just push all entrants off until next year - people who technically are holding an entry for 2020 based on having run in 2019? Would many people just get pee'd off and demand a refund? Would people just get fed up waiting for DCM?

Most ppl will understand its not them messing them around

It really does beggar belief that this is even in doubt at this point.

End. Of. October. And we're still worried about an outdoor event.

Be nice if they just came out and said, it's on once the government don't F up the vaccine rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭jams100

Be nice if they just came out and said, it's on once the government don't F up the vaccine rollout.

There's zero reason why it shouldn't go ahead at this stage.
    If this doesn't go ahead then its almost a certainty that there will be more lockdowns in winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭sk8board

They have to take account that people usually do a standard 16-18 week training block. it’s not a coincidence that this Fridays decision is 17wks from race day.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

They might. But there will be people who will take that entry quickly so they'll be fine

jams100 wrote: »
    There's zero reason why it shouldn't go ahead at this stage.
    If this doesn't go ahead then its almost a certainty that there will be more lockdowns in winter

Its amazing that people can be do definite about something they know nothing about.

Insurance is one of the big blockers. They need insurance but the cost is massive and will insurance cover another lockdown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

sk8board wrote: »
    They have to take account that people usually do a standard 16-18 week training block. it’s not a coincidence that this Fridays decision is 17wks from race day.

The Boards.ie Mentored Novice plans for the last few years were all 18 weeks.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16gSieCUamkjxOBVB2li8jA6bQSvkuLySyjG-ZilizDY/edit?pli=1#gid=86664611

This years bunch have already lost a week!

event wrote: »
    They might. But there will be people who will take that entry quickly so they'll be fine

Its amazing that people can be do definite about something they know nothing about.

It's amazing that people can be so definite about people they know nothing about!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

I think it will get the green light in some form or other. HSE, who you would assume would be conservative to take pressure off themselves are on about everyone being fully vaccinated at this stage so if it cant go ahead qfter that you'd wonder when it could ever happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

60,000 gonna be in Wembley for the Euro Semi and Final...Ironman UK happening in a week there too.

Here we are about to cancel a marathon at the end of October with every single vunerable person in the country vaccinated. By the end of October probably every 20 year old will be vaccinated too....beyond embarrassing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

With all the talk on the “ Delta -and Delta Plus “ variants and not lifting restrictions further decisions could go either way . I’m not happy training for an event for 17 weeks for it to be cancelled on Dr. Tony’s whim. So I’ll be one person looking for a refund should it go ahead.

• Advertisement

Yeah if I can, I'll be deferring to next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Think I will be deferring until next year too if possible.

For a start, this doesn't bode well for Friday's announcement:
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0623/1230807-coronavirus-ireland/

Even if the news is good Friday, I don't trust that it won't end up cancelled further down the line anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

It's gonna be a Virtual only event- I have zero confidence that the powers that be will allow it or the race organisers can take the financial risk of ploughing ahead only to see it cancelled come Autumn anyway.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

It's gonna be a Virtual only event- I have zero confidence that the powers that be will allow it or the race organisers can take the financial risk of ploughing ahead only to see it cancelled come Autumn anyway.

Any insurance they can get won't cover a cancellation due to Covid so really they can't afford to take the chance. Which is fair enough.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Any insurance they can get won't cover a cancellation due to Covid so really they can't afford to take the chance. Which is fair enough.

Would be fairly minimal cost though for government to cover in the event of them bringing back in restrictions that caused the marathon to cancel. They could just write off road closure and policing charges, and then find a few spare Euros down the back of the sofa to pay for the other costs that might be paid out up front. That then keeps the marathon afloat for another year, and also keeps all the other smaller businesses which are expecting that income going for another year as well.

The government always gets over half the money back anyway through taxation, paye, and vat.

robinph wrote: »
    Would be fairly minimal cost though for government to cover in the event of them bringing back in restrictions that caused the marathon to cancel. They could just write off road closure and policing charges, and then find a few spare Euros down the back of the sofa to pay for the other costs that might be paid out up front. That then keeps the marathon afloat for another year, and also keeps all the other smaller businesses which are expecting that income going for another year as well.

Yeah but unfortunately that all assumes that the government gives a sh1t about athletics
    robinph wrote: »

The government always gets over half the money back anyway through taxation, paye, and vat.

Aye, the house always wins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Our ambition as a country to exit restrictions just seems to be so much lower than elsewhere but this is people running outside at the end of october, post vaccination programme, surely this will happen... sometimes i really hate this place :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Our ambition as a country to exit restrictions just seems to be so much lower than elsewhere but this is people running outside at the end of october, post vaccination programme, surely this will happen... sometimes i really hate this place :(

Your mistake there is putting forward a completely valid and logical argument. Pretty sure Tony has the Delta 3.0 Plus variant up his sleeve for that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bluesquare wrote: »
    With all the talk on the “ Delta -and Delta Plus “ variants and not lifting restrictions further decisions could go either way . I’m not happy training for an event for 17 weeks for it to be cancelled on Dr. Tony’s whim. So I’ll be one person looking for a refund should it go ahead.

Hardly on his whim, more a considered medical opinion.

tunney wrote: »
    Hardly on his whim, more a considered medical opinion.

How is this for a considered medical opinion....

Top medic advised against Cervical Check review

• Advertisement
Advertisement