Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Marathon 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    60,000 gonna be in Wembley for the Euro Semi and Final...Ironman UK happening in a week there too.

Here we are about to cancel a marathon at the end of October with every single vunerable person in the country vaccinated. By the end of October probably every 20 year old will be vaccinated too....beyond embarrassing at this stage.
    Bluesquare wrote: »
    With all the talk on the “ Delta -and Delta Plus “ variants and not lifting restrictions further decisions could go either way . I’m not happy training for an event for 17 weeks for it to be cancelled on Dr. Tony’s whim. So I’ll be one person looking for a refund should it go ahead.
    Our ambition as a country to exit restrictions just seems to be so much lower than elsewhere but this is people running outside at the end of october, post vaccination programme, surely this will happen... sometimes i really hate this place :(
    Your mistake there is putting forward a completely valid and logical argument. Pretty sure Tony has the Delta 3.0 Plus variant up his sleeve for that one.

Some people have really lost the run of themselves, you'd swear given their posts that DCM were in cahots with the 'deep state' in stopping them "running outside".

I particularly find the nudge, nudge, wink, wink mentioning of one individual, ala a certain former journalist's sycophants really distasteful. Decisions are made by government, following professional advice of experts and not shared memes on facebook.

I've said it before and I stand over it, but the small minority 'woe betide me' DCM entrants are the same people who arrive at parkruns at 9-25, tut because there is a delay getting their results and never see the volunteers who were there 45mins before the start and the marshals who stand on the course until the last person has passed them. The decision to run or delay the race, will not be made to piss you off, rather it will be a medical safety and business decision, maybe go feel sorry for yourselves on the conspiracy theory thread or send an angry postcard to Gemma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    Some people have really lost the run of themselves, you'd swear given their posts that DCM were in cahots with the 'deep state' in stopping them "running outside".

I particularly find the nudge, nudge, wink, wink mentioning of one individual, ala a certain former journalist's sycophants really distasteful. Decisions are made by government, following professional advice of experts and not shared memes on facebook.

I've said it before and I stand over it, but the small minority 'woe betide me' DCM entrants are the same people who arrive at parkruns at 9-25, tut because there is a delay getting their results and never see the volunteers who were there 45mins before the start and the marshals who stand on the course until the last person has passed them. The decision to run or delay the race, will not be made to piss you off, rather it will be a medical safety and business decision, maybe go feel sorry for yourselves on the conspiracy theory thread or send an angry postcard to Gemma.

Very well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

The inidividual quoted is the professional whose advice heavily influences government decisions, which in turn will heavily influence the decision on DCM. Hardly nudge, nudge territory, and belittling 'the small minority' of DCM entrants that have the audacity to have a personal interest in the decision is distasteful. We all know it's just a race, but after the last year people are completely entitled to personally elevate its importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daz23

Ah folk's we need to see woods from the trees here. The marathon is still 17 weeks away so although the delta variant might cause delays in opening up the country at present until they administer the second dose of the az vaccine to the vulnerable, we will have the majority population vaccinated by the end of October.

As said the biggest concern to the race is if another variant that the vaccine is not effective against but there have been no variants so far that the current vaccines haven't proven effective against.

The question is if the organisers are willing to plan ahead with the risk of another variant that the vaccines are ineffective against appearing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

We won't know til we know on Friday but my tuppence worth is
    There will be more variants - thats a given but we need to plough on with event's such as these

IF something comes long and it has to be pulled closer to the date yes it will be a pain in the hole for all
    BUT it shouldn't be cancelled this far out until it can be proven it actually NEEDS to be

Btw if anyone has a spare entry please pm me ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

People need to remember that its only a race, it will happen eventually.
    But having 16k odd people in very, very close proximity, all sweating etc may not be the best thing to do this year yet....we'll see.

Regardless of what happens, the organisers will get sh*t all thanks from some people regardless of the decision it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Cabaal wrote: »
    But having 16k odd people in very, very close proximity, all sweating etc may not be the best thing to do this year yet....we'll see.

Regardless of what happens, the organisers will get sh*t all thanks from some people regardless of the decision it seems.

Outdoors. For a few minutes at the start. Easily mitigated with people walking with arms outstretched and staggered starts.

I won't blame the organisers as they know their business better than me, but Ireland really will be an outlier (more than already) if we accept that any event cant happen by the end of October when almost everyone will be fully vaccinated.

What's the point in vaccination if we cant get back to normal would be my question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Decisions are made by government, following professional advice of experts and not shared memes on facebook.

Turns on TV and see's 125,000 people in attendance at the Indy 500, sees full stadia in Copenhagen, Budapest, 60,000 in Wembley and full attendence at baseball games all across America.

GAA will have 2,300 spectators at the Munster Semi Final in two weeks as a "trial" event. What do they need to trial, do they not have eyes and knowledge of the world outside of this island?

Only country in Europe refusing to introduce Antigen testing for travel. Thats right the considered Irish medical advice of the " Irish experts" is obviously superior to the rest of our European medical colleagues. The same experts that warned opening the country up would lead to 3,000 cases a day.

Medical experts :pac: "2 weeks to flatten the curve"

Medical Fascists more like.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭jams100

In fairness, I think most people (myself included) actually feel sorry for the DCM organisers.
    They are in the position where they probably can't afford to let the event go ahead if there is even a 10% chance of it being cancelled a month in advance.

I stand by what I said before there is no reason why this shouldn't go ahead. Unless the medical powers that be in this country know something that medical advisors in other countries don't then there is no reason why this shouldn't go ahead.

London, Belfast, Berlin marathon etc. all going ahead...anyway I guess we'll find out one way or another tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I just want to know can I start checking the weather forecast tomorrow.

Do the organisers want to go straight for 15,000 - 20,000 people event without a dry run which they could do with the half?

Do all parties need to agree.

I still think getting the volunteers might be difficult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,073 ✭✭✭✭event

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Turns on TV and see's 125,000 people in attendance at the Indy 500, sees full stadia in Copenhagen, Budapest, 60,000 in Wembley and full attendence at baseball games all across America.

GAA will have 2,300 spectators at the Munster Semi Final in two weeks as a "trial" event. What do they need to trial, do they not have eyes and knowledge of the world outside of this island?

Only country in Europe refusing to introduce Antigen testing for travel. Thats right the considered Irish medical advice of the " Irish experts" is obviously superior to the rest of our European medical colleagues. The same experts that warned opening the country up would lead to 3,000 cases a day.

Medical experts :pac: "2 weeks to flatten the curve"

Medical Fascists more like.

I'm sure you'll be able to apply for the position of CMO when it comes up anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭Kander

jams100 wrote: »
    In fairness, I think most people (myself included) actually feel sorry for the DCM organizers.

Fully feel sorry for the organizers on this. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one side they have a risk adverse government and the other they have probably every run hungry runner in Ireland foaming at the mouth to get going :D

Imagine if it was cancelled during the taper mania...there would be riots but by people desperately trying not to get injured or catch a cold :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Kander wrote: »
    Fully feel sorry for the organizers on this. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. On one side they have a risk adverse government and the other they have probably every run hungry runner in Ireland foaming at the mouth to get going :D

Imagine if it was cancelled during the taper mania...there would be riots but by people desperately trying not to get injured or catch a cold :p

I'm honestly not suer about the appetite amoung the general running public for races. A local club here in Mayo are in the middle of a 5k Saturday morning series that is struggling to attract 100 people. Its a well ran and well advertised series but numbers are low. I assumed the first races post lockdown would be pree booked and over subscribed but that's not the case. Social Media is an unreliable indicator of public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

ultrapercy wrote: »
    I'm honestly not suer about the appetite amoung the general running public for races. A local club here in Mayo are in the middle of a 5k Saturday morning series that is struggling to attract 100 people. Its a well ran and well advertised series but numbers are low. I assumed the first races post lockdown would be pre booked and over subscribed but that's not the case. Social Media is an unreliable indicator of public opinion.

I think there was a large percentage that went to races for the social aspect, it'll take them longer to get back.

Did what was effectively a trial event in Kildare on Sunday (they had 5k and 10k on Fri/Sat) 100's of runners in well organised wave starts. It felt very safe a manageable. Funnily enough people seemed well used to giving each other plenty of space and nobody was on top of each other. Be a long while before we have to engage the elbows to fight for our piece of road when the gun goes off in races!

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

I'm honestly not suer about the appetite amoung the general running public for races. A local club here in Mayo are in the middle of a 5k Saturday morning series that is struggling to attract 100 people. Its a well ran and well advertised series but numbers are low. I assumed the first races post lockdown would be pree booked and over subscribed but that's not the case. Social Media is an unreliable indicator of public opinion.

I saw them advertised. They're not doing chip timing, no bibs and you have to record your own time? Does that not make it more of an organised group run than a timed race? I haven't ran them and I know it's better than nothing but even Parkrun records the time for you. Something like the Black pig 10k Race in Sligo will be more of a gauge of interest in the west where races take longer to sell out than Dublin.

As for DCM this time tomorrow I'll be clicking refresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Sweat doesn't transmit COVID-19.

Space out the start waves, spectators need to be sensible and space out on the route. That would do it.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Sweat doesn't transmit COVID-19.

Space out the start waves, spectators need to be sensible and space out on the route. That would do it.

You think the general public can be sensible? Not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

They've limited it to members of a club though, I'd have been there in a flash otherwise and so would some of my running buddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

16k ppl sweating won't be the cause of a covid spike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

BUT it shouldn't be cancelled this far out until it can be proven it actually NEEDS to be

That's not the way it works. A final decision has to be made as soon as expenditure needs to be committed. That point is not 4 weeks before the race, it's long before that.

Yep. I dont think people get that they need to make financial decisions now. They need to start ordering the medals and tshirts now and to pay for them.

If all the entrants agreed to forgo their entry fee if it has to be cancelled, that would go a long way to giving them the security to plan ahead.

I wonder how many would be happy to do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

event wrote: »
    Yep. I dont think people get that they need to make financial decisions now. They need to start ordering the medals and tshirts now and to pay for them.

If all the entrants agreed to forgo their entry fee if it has to be cancelled, that would go a long way to giving them the security to plan ahead.

I wouldnt be happy to forgo my entry however i have no issue not getting a t-shirt or medal if that would allow them to plan without making financial commitments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You think the general public can be sensible? Not a chance

You must be in government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I think the running population of Ireland is foaming at the mouth for this by now, its the insurance companies that are likely going to make the final call/have already made it.
    The fact that the twitter account is still posting training plans a couple of days ago gives me hope.
    Lots of page refreshing tomorrow!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

For me personally I don’t really care about a fee I paid out 18 months plus ago but I do care about the time and energy required to train for a marathon - so based on the last year I’m going to decide against doing it even if it’s game on . I’m not pushed on marathons as a general rule so just saving myself potential heart ache down the line - the security I need to motivate myself is not there . Maybe if I had a sunnier disposition !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It would also need the sponsors to still stump up their cash despite not getting the promised coverage, and for the traders at the expo to be prepared to forgoe their potential income boost and and fees they had paid for a stall. Me losing an entry fee which I'd paid out two years ago is already written off in my finances. Would be nice to get a run out of that entry at some point, but have to consider the money long gone personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Looking forward at some stage in the future to a more eco-friendly Dublin marathon without free medals and T-Shirts; a nice free digital photo crossing the line for finishers would be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭py

echancrure wrote: »
    Looking forward at some stage in the future to a more eco-friendly Dublin marathon without free medals and T-Shirts; a nice free digital photo crossing the line for finishers would be nicer.

If there's no T-Shirt or beanie, how else are people to know I've run DCM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    16k ppl sweating won't be the cause of a covid spike

True, sure they aren't breathing (heavily) in close proximity at the same time after all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

Supercell wrote: »
    I think the running population of Ireland is foaming at the mouth for this by now, its the insurance companies that are likely going to make the final call/have already made it.
    The fact that the twitter account is still posting training plans a couple of days ago gives me hope.
    Lots of page refreshing tomorrow!

Why would the insurance company make a call. They won't be covered if it is cancelled for covid reasons anyway you can be sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

True, sure they aren't breathing (heavily) in close proximity at the same time after all.....

Vaccinated people....outside. We have to move on at some stage.

Well when i ran DCM in 2019 I was within 2m of no more then 10 ppl in the entire run

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I'd be happy to forego my fee even if they cancelled it now. (As long as I got first refusal on a slot the following year).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,496 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Christ I thought this **** had been debunked a long time ago now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

ariana` wrote: »
    They've limited it to members of a club though, I'd have been there in a flash otherwise and so would some of my running buddies.

Is that actually the case? What happens if you have an entry carried over from last year but you're not in a club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

ariana` wrote: »
    Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Is that actually the case? What happens if you have an entry carried over from last year but you're not in a club?
    Bananaleaf, you're reading ariana` quote out of context. Their on about a different club race, not DCM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Dudda wrote: »
    Bananaleaf, you're reading ariana` quote out of context. Their on about a different club race, not DCM

oops, sorry! Thank you for clearing that up

Regardless of tomorrow's announcement there will be a virtual event too. So the training plan will be posted on social media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭Peckham

Announcement postponed until 15 July

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Peckham wrote: »
    Announcement postponed until 15 July

Says who?

• Advertisement

Nothing on twitter or website that i can see. That is leaving it very late if true. Was going to commit to Belfast or Dublin today :confused:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Nothing on twitter or website that i can see. That is leaving it very late if true. Was going to commit to Belfast or Dublin today :confused:

Exactly.... However, if I was a betting man, its not going to happen with all this speak of delta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭The Davestator

It could actually be a clever move to postpone the announcement. By then, there will be less uncertainty around the latest variant, more vaccinated people and reasons to not host it will be running out for the people who remain afraid.

I really hope they make a call one way or the other today. If they put it back to July 15th, thats a bit annoying. I can see why they might, they obviously really want to host it and want to wait as long as they can. Thats 14 weeks out, suppose people will have only done 4-6 weeks training so its not that bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I really hope they make a call one way or the other today. If they put it back to July 15th, thats a bit annoying. I can see why they might, they obviously really want to host it and want to wait as long as they can. Thats 14 weeks out, suppose people will have only done 4-6 weeks training so its not that bad.

Personally motivation is very low, if not announced today, I know I’ll struggle to train properly until July 15th.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭Rossi7

I heard the 15th of July last night, just read confirmation from themselves now it's delayed to the 15th. They are still in the process of engaging with the relevant stakeholders. They state no later than the 15h of July so they may make the decision before then.

Yeah see that now. At well, cant do much about it. Hope they dont get as much grief now as the Belfast marathon did when they changed their date

In two weeks time all we are going to hear about is Delta Delta poxy Delta with maybe 10 more in hospital, lock the whole country down again.
    Frustrating watching other Delta ridden countries getting on with sporting events as is, not the DCM's fault i suppose that the powers that be here are rediculiously cautious, predictable.
    Sorry, just venting, i'd say the organisers are between a rock and a hard place here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

They obviously want to host it and are desperate to get the race run but there is no way NPHET will agree to anything of significant size due to the latest boogeyman Delta

So it looks like it will just be a virtual race again.

Are the group who organise the marathon losing money from last year and this year? Factor in the loss of the title sponsor, could this be the end of the Dublin Marathon as we currently know it

Advertisement