Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France bans filtering, bikers protest

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

After reading these links, and interesting comments about self-driving and driving aids, I'm thinking a race track could be a viable business in years to come. All those riders and drivers keen to escape a restrictive road environment and get back to a simpler world. Maybe include a mx track too.

BTW There was a plan to build a new race track in South Wales. Wonder how that's going.

Circuit of Wales isn't going ahead, it's already supposed to have been built and held races.

Norn Iorn is the newest one that isn't going ahead

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/northern-ireland/brakes-on-plans-for-30m-northern-ireland-race-track-as-site-up-for-sale-37972304.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    The only thing in our favour here is the fact that motorcycles have been so roundly ignored by the government that they may not get off their collective holes to actually enact this.

Here's hoping.

And even it did change, guards are unlikely to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

May be an opportunity to pick up a cheap French bike if the ban sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

May be an opportunity to pick up a cheap French bike if the ban sticks

Remember the Alcohol testers that you are supposed to carry in France?
    Maybe the retroreflective panels on your helmet or jacket?
    What about the new rules for blind spot warning signs on Vans and trucks?
    https://trans.info/en/france-to-require-blind-spot-warning-stickers-for-hgvs-as-it-implements-new-direct-vision-standards-210732

None of these amounted to much and I suspect this may just be more of the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Remember the Alcohol testers that you are supposed to carry in France?
    Maybe the retroreflective panels on your helmet or jacket?
    What about the new rules for blind spot warning signs on Vans and trucks?
    https://trans.info/en/france-to-require-blind-spot-warning-stickers-for-hgvs-as-it-implements-new-direct-vision-standards-210732

None of these amounted to much and I suspect this may just be more of the same thing.
    Ah bummer

Was looking at a lovely red vespa for €900
    Grab a parka and I would be back in my youth :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Reflective panels on helmets, maybe jackets too, required by locals but not visitors.

Two other requirements:
    Spare bulbs required for cars, not sure about motos.
    Hi-vis tabard required for car occupants and motos for breakdown situations.
    Hard to imagine a gendarme enforcing these for a tourist moto but why take the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Reflective panels on helmets, maybe jackets too, required by locals but not visitors.

Two other requirements:
    Spare bulbs required for cars, not sure about motos.
    Hi-vis tabard required for car occupants and motos for breakdown situations.
    Hard to imagine a gendarme enforcing these for a tourist moto but why take the chance.

Au contraire....tourists are easier pickings than locals. Under time pressures, they'll pay up more promptly.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 35,059 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Are we talking a cash "fine", no receipt, kind of thing?

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

galwaytt wrote: »
    Au contraire....tourists are easier pickings than locals. Under time pressures, they'll pay up more promptly.

Everyone pays up - on the spot for speed traps.
    If you need cash you go to an ATM while your passport/licence is retained.
    So payment terms the same for locals and visitors.

To be fair the French cops in the moto cases I know about haven't gone looking for other infringments.

Are we talking a cash "fine", no receipt, kind of thing?

No! Except in the Élysée Palace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭newmember2

fenris wrote: »
    Imagine the havoc if you were to have a backpack that looked like a stop sign, level crossing sign or just a 30 kmh speed limit sign :-)

tbh I can't really see how a smart (dumb) driverless system can be introduced that will not be able to be easily manipulated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Montana state has just legalised lane filtering under certain conditions.

https://blog.motorcycle.com/2021/03/03/motorcycle-news/montana-lane-sharing-legislation-becomes-law/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The simple and not so nice for us answer is to remove non automated traffic from the mix, pretty much how horses and slow vehicles are excluded from the motorways.

There is a lot of research on "Adversarial Attacks" on the image recognition, from simple putting a few bits of tape on a sign to screw up the recogniser.
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/cars-that-think/transportation/sensors/slight-street-sign-modifications-can-fool-machine-learning-algorithms

I do like this one though
    https://nextconf.eu/2017/03/trapping-self-driving-car-magic-circle/
    Basically drawing two circles, the inside one is a solid white line and the outside one is a broken while line paralyses the car because kids, as we all know you do not cross the solid while line :-)

Couldn't edit my previous post.
    I checked with a local about 'bike regulations.

Spare Bulbs: Not mandatory to carry on a 'bike
    Hi-viz: Mandatory to have one with you for breakdown/emergency
    Fine: €11. or up to €38.
    Fine for not wearing it on the roadside: €135 or up to €750
    Gloves: Rider and pillion must wear CE-marked gloves
    Fine: €68 Up to €450.

Roll-on holidays! Roll-off ferries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Jaysus, fines for the type of gloves you wear :rolleyes:

Classic riders won't like that at all.

They wouldn't want you acquitted on a technicality, such as wearing your marigolds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Jaysus, fines for the type of gloves you wear :rolleyes:

Classic riders won't like that at all.

Never knew that they can't make classic style gloves that meet CE criteria.

I'd say the guys buying cheap gloves off AliExpress and other such sites have more to worry about than someone who rides a classic.

Advertisement