Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepared Meals - Who To Buy From?

Options
  • 24-02-2021 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Not sure if i should start a new thread or if this thread is sufficient .

Has anybody ordered from any of the pre-prepared meal companies such as Gourmet Fuel, clean cut meals etc ?

How was your experience ?

Is there on company thats generally better than the others or is it all subjective ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: Great idea for a new thread, I've split it from the General Chat Thread :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I was given a gift of Drop Chef meals for a while after I had a baby.

The quality was really excellent, but the flavours were a little bland, and I didn't find it any more convenient honestly than buying my own food.

I also struggle with my meal being decided for me so I'd often let the ingredients just sit there for a few days as I didn't fancy them.

But it's worth trying because the quality and convenience really is good. Whether or not it will suit you is another question

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Yeah it seems there are loads of those type of companies now.

They seem to vary in price quite a bit.

Is it a case of you get what you pay for ?

Im a terrible cook and trying to cut back on takeaways so thought i might give them a try.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

If you're not a good cook it could suit you well, everything is portioned and prepared, just a bit of chopping to do. No harm signing up for a trial!

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

We used Drop Chef for a few months pre-pandemic. It was pretty good. We got some interesting dinners from it, the menu changes every week and some weeks were a lot better than others.

I don't think it's really aimed at convenience, some of the recipes are quite involved, I think it's more aimed at people who want to make different meals than they'd usually make by giving them just the ingredients they require and the instructions to do it.

As I said, some weeks were better than others, we were on the 3 meal plan and there was usually about 7 or 8 or so to choose from. The frustrating thing was some weeks I'd spot 4 or 5 that I'd love, and other weeks I'd struggle to pick 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

I have tried https://www.eatto.ie/ a few times. Just got the mains and they are all nice so far from what I have tried.

You might when you sign up first, get 10% off your first order.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Marje wrote: »
    I have tried https://www.eatto.ie/ a few times. Just got the mains and they are all nice so far from what I have tried.

Just had a look at that site. Some nice dishes and not crazy expensive either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've seen a few of these things on TV ads recently and on the face of it, they look like a good idea. Especially if you're only cooking for two, and buying some of the more obscure ingredients in small enough quantities to not have to throw anything away could be difficult. I'd worry a bit about the plastic packaging and, of course, the price but interesting nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Fantomas9mm

Alun wrote: »
    I've seen a few of these things on TV ads recently and on the face of it, they look like a good idea. Especially if you're only cooking for two, and buying some of the more obscure ingredients in small enough quantities to not have to throw anything away could be difficult. I'd worry a bit about the plastic packaging and, of course, the price but interesting nonetheless.

Stupid question.

But they come cooked and you just reheat in the microwave ?

Is that how they work ?

Stupid question.

Is that how they work ?

I think the previous posters are talking about two different things. There are ones where you can buy ready prepared chilled or frozen meals that only need defrosting/heating up yes, eattto.ie seems to fall into that category.

There are others though where you just get a box of ingredients, all portioned up and a recipe, dropchef.com fits into that category.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Recliner

Stupid question.

Is that how they work ?

Actually I had assumed that they sent the ingredients and you cook the meal yourself but I had another look at the eat.ie site and it's frozen meals that you reheat in the oven from frozen.
    I'm pretty sure there are sites that do send the ingredients though.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭pmurphy00

I've used AMPX lots recently. i find them excellent. sometimes i cook a side of veg with them to bulk up. Very useful when work is busy instead of cooking for one. usually €5 a meal. i've always have a code.
    i've used the 2 other similar companies in first post but found these lads better.

Stupid question.

Is that how they work ?

For Drop Chef it comes raw. Basically you get the exact amount required for the recipe and then the recipe itself.

All you have to do is cook it (and chop the odd vegetable).

awec wrote: »
    For Drop Chef it comes raw. Basically you get the exact amount required for the recipe and then the recipe itself.

All you have to do is cook it (and chop the odd vegetable).

As a matter of interest, what are the portion sizes like? I generally find most pre-cooked ready meals for 2, just right for 1 person most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭YellowLead

https://www.kaylaskitchen.ie/

I’ve heard rave reviews from a good friend who swears by these and keep meaning to try myself. Apparently the quality is good and then don’t seem very pricey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

As a matter of interest, what are the portion sizes like? I generally find most pre-cooked ready meals for 2, just right for 1 person most of the time.

Portion the word that means "not enough".

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

My question exactly there from Alun too. I had seen the dropchef ads but felt it was quite expensive for a family of four adults (only two earning!) unless the portions were pretty generous. They'd be for days when work prevents us getting a dinner ready at a decent time.

I would say the portions are what you are supposed to be eating, but are probably smaller than what people usually would give themselves.

I was never hungry though, but you'd not be stuffed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Stupid question.

Is that how they work ?

Eatto come prefrozen and in ice and insulated, put them straight into freezer.

Some you only have the option to cook directly in oven - usually 40-45 minutes,

Others have both oven and microwave options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Supervalu have a wide range of ready meals. They have really expanded them and several brands. Many way above me in every way! I am not a fan of curry or rice or pasta. etc "curried cauliflower"!

cully and sully...Pembroke Ladle...GLAS.. a wide range.

Look at supervalu.ie shopping at the "chilled food" page .

I enjoy their simplest traditional meals; Irish cabbage and bacon, and cottage pie, and they are good portions. Just need microwaving.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Marje wrote: »

Seems like a very good idea.
    (Thinking of my uncle).

But: Nationwide delivery is €6.95.

That doubles the price.
    I guess the idea is to buy in bulk?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Seems like a very good idea.
    (Thinking of my uncle).

But: Nationwide delivery is €6.95.

That doubles the price.
    I guess the idea is to buy in bulk?

My octogenarian friends in England rely on Wiltshire deliveries. They do have some coverage over here in Ireland now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I'll second the fresh supervalu range. These are prepared instore and imo represent great value and a decent choice esp in the larger stores.

Veg / sides are separate to the meat/fish, so you can create various combinations

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Pistachios & cream

Ive used the Boojum mexican fajita mealkit and it's very good. Bit pricey though so more a treat than a regular thing.
    Also used drop chef a couple of times. In general found the recipes nice enoug.

Also id you area 3 ireland customer they often have codes for these.

Advertisement