Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden, planter box install wanted

Options
  • 24-02-2021 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭

I'd like to build a narrow planter box along the fence in pics, about 700mm in length. Probably 2 sleepers high. Do I ask a gardener or a carpenter, and if anyone has had it done, roughly how much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Faze11

sassyj wrote: »
    I'd like to build a narrow planter box along the fence in pics, about 700mm in length. Probably 2 sleepers high. Do I ask a gardener or a carpenter, and if anyone has had it done, roughly how much?

I would do stepped raised beds right or just under to the level of the cement base of fence. Honestly if you have the time it would be something you could quite easily do yourself. Not a big job at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That looks quite narrow. Do you use the rear gate ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

Might be easier to put in a strip of 5mm *125mm steel as a raised edge.benefits are it won't rot and doesn't take up space. You need to preserve as much of the planting space as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭rje66

Something like this. Height can be adjusted

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

Discodog wrote: »
    That looks quite narrow. Do you use the rear gate ?

I do use the gate but there is plenty of room for planter -the photo is zoomed in to obsure any identifiable things. There was a planter there a long time but it rotted ((12 yrs and uncared for).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭sassyj

I would plant and use trellis however this area has very shallow soil before it hits solid ground hence the need for a planter. I could probably build by getting a few lengths from Woodies or similar, but planter needs to be 3 sided and secured to concrete parts of fence, thatvI really am not sure I could manage

Advertisement