Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Forgotten Irish Kid's tv shows

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

While it’s not a kid’s show, does anyone remember a short cartoon that would be on late on RTÉ, it was two lads sitting at a bar. Proper Dubs.

The skinnier one would tell these “tall tales” while the other one, with a moustache, would mostly just grunt every now and then.

After the story was finished the skinny lad would say ‘another Pernod and lucozade there, Rufus!’ and that would be it.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Pat's Chat starring the brilliant Pat Ingoldsby. I think it used to be on before The Den.

5 p.m. : Echo Island with Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh and Dara O Briain
    5.30 p.m. : Clarissa Explains it All (repeated on Saturday mornings) or one of the below
    6 p.m. : The Den "pick the programme" — they gave out premium numbers to phone-vote for Simpsons/ Saved By The Bell or Sister Sister etc.

Not sure how that last one was allowed, there must have been thousands of other kids secretly jacking up the phone bill with 1550 numbers, and dads all across the country getting the cold shoulder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

While it’s not a kid’s show, does anyone remember a short cartoon that would be on late on RTÉ, it was two lads sitting at a bar. Proper Dubs.

The skinnier one would tell these “tall tales” while the other one, with a moustache, would mostly just grunt every now and then.

After the story was finished the skinny lad would say ‘another Pernod and lucozade there, Rufus!’ and that would be it.
    Was it part of The End with Sean Moncrieff as continuity presenter?

Was it part of The End with Sean Moncrieff as continuity presenter?

It could well have been, they had those short cartoons like ‘Beastly Behaviour’ and then stop motion one about people living in English flats.

If I had to guess I’d say it was later than ‘The End’ but I could well be wrong. It would certainly suit the style of that show.

In one episode the skinny guy told a story about having a cabin up the Dublin mountains with cans of beans and a tv. He could “ride out” any nuclear fallout there and afterward the only other thing alive would be cockroaches and he’d be their king.

Don’t really remember any others, just yer man ordering the Pernod and lucozade in a thick Dublin accent.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

It could well have been, they had those short cartoons like ‘Beastly Behaviour’ and then stop motion one about people living in English flats.

If I had to guess I’d say it was later than ‘The End’ but I could well be wrong. It would certainly suit the style of that show.

In one episode the skinny guy told a story about having a cabin up the Dublin mountains with cans of beans and a tv. He could “ride out” any nuclear fallout there and afterward the only other thing alive would be cockroaches and he’d be their king.

Don’t really remember any others, just yer man ordering the Pernod and lucozade in a thick Dublin accent.

Crapston Villas was that one, some funny sketches

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176364/

One I remember in the 90s that I've never seen or heard of again was The Rimini Riddle. As far as I remember it was about a couple of kids that lived with their Aunt Vera in her guesthouse and I think it was near the sea. The distinctive thing about the show was that all the characters were these disturbing looking puppet things that gave me nightmares. I found a clip on YouTube. Jesus Christ the horror!

What sort of acid fuelled horror is that? Jesus Christ.

The Mulk wrote: »
    Crapston Villas was that one, some funny sketches

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0176364/

I seem to remember there was a sex scene where the girl bled afterward. It really didn’t hold back.
    What sort of acid fuelled horror is that? Jesus Christ.

That show got really “intense” when one of the kids started blaming an imaginary Otto who was doing all the bad stuff going on, everyone thought he was making it up but it turned out there was a cat-like thing called Otto, might have been a mink or a stoat, who was somewhat evil running amok.

The whole thing was nightmare fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

anyone remember Mika? not sure what channel twas on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_zc-AxGPkg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,274 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Who remembers Lug? Stop motion animated thingy, it used to be on before the early evening news for a while in 1981, dont it ran for long. Link to an episode here.

https://www.rte.ie/archives/2021/0922/1248316-lug-na-locha/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Morbegs from Morbeg land need your help to under stand !

Some good clips turning up on this Youtube channel. Scratch Saturday was I think, the replacement for the Whole Shebang which in turn was a followup to Pajos Junkbox. The X Cert section was where they'd discuss more "adult" issue based stuff. Look out for Brian Reddin who a few years down the line would do the intros to the Last Picture Show late night movie slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Remember the cartoon that always ended with the catchphrase: '"Allelú", arsa Daithí.'?

or Sean the Leprechaun

Let's Draw with Bláithín

or the dreaded Buntús Cainte, which we all HAD to watch for school?

No?

Guess I'm older than the rest of you :) And we had it tough!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I'm not quite that old but I know of Buntús Cainte, and there are even some clips available (to bring back those treasured memories for you). 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

The Rimini Riddle. This stuff was total nightmare fuel!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

What was the show where Balor flew off into the sky?

That was a stop motion type thing about Na Fianna, wasn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

Fado Fado ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Jesus.

They all look like they've been in horrible accidents and needed skin grafts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭black & white

Daithi Lacha is my earliest Telly memory, that and The Golden Shot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW2x6ZJOtIA

• Advertisement

The movement of their hair was magnificent! And the close-ups of their hands were something else too...

I was in my late teens when Rimini Riddle started and while I was vaguely aware of it, I didn't watch at the time it as it was a "childrens" show. Wish I had as it looks mental and clips of it are rare as hens teeth. Wish RTE would repeat it.

I was 'too old' for it too but I caught it when my younger siblings watched it, and saw how mad it was. 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,236 ✭✭✭✭briany

Physiquiz. A janky kids' quiz show from the early 90s. Starring Michael Sheridan and Kevo.

Something I have almost never seen mentioned is that RTE tried doing a substitute kids TV strand during the summer of '95 - Jump Around hosted by Joe Rooney. It's likely that few kids were indoors too much that summer as '95 went down in history as an absolute scorcher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Joe Rooney has a bizarre Father Stone type portrait of Pat O'Mahony in the background.

Dustin used to make fun of O'Mahony when Pat was RTE's fashion presenter.

I had to google his name and it turns out he's now an Emmy winning documentary producer.

O'Mahony was like the Baz Ashmawy of the early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

It was definitely about Irish mythology, I can't remember the exact details apart from Balor.

Eddie Lenihan used to do his storytelling slots in Dempseys Den, initially called Storyteller. It changed its name later to Ten Minute Tales.

A bit of a diversion from kids tv but does anyone else remember when Eddie Lenihan appeared on an RTE quiz show as a contestant? I think it was either Where In The World or Know Your Sport, but it wasn't as a "celebrity" , just as a regular member of Joe Public. It was when he was doing Ten Minute Tales so he was quite recognisable.

Edit: thinking about it again it could have been Winning Streak.

Eddie said that when he worked for RTE, Gay Byrne stopped him in a corridor one day and said, "I like your show, but some of your stories are intolerably long."

Eddie said of the comment, "I should have told him his whole fcckin' career was intolerably long..."

Advertisement