Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Yeah, they won't work out of freezer-they freeze very quickly! Just put them in fridge for as long as possible.

Why dont they work out of the freezer? And why are you loons drinking stout cold?

Second can worked fine so they must not handle lower temperatures.

I guess it's a hack to drink them if you had no unit.
    Put them in the freezer and they seem to surge themselves(at about 20%).

The head definitely gets a better texture than the cans, and the head is really important so that in itself is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

Interesting point - does anyone know what temperature Guinness is normally pourer at in a pub? I had a few regular cans here at the weekend which were fully chilled in the fridge which is set to 5 degrees. It felt like a proper pint in a pub would be colder initially which would impact on the overall taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Turtle001 wrote: »
    Interesting point - does anyone know what temperature Guinness is normally pourer at in a pub? I had a few regular cans here at the weekend which were fully chilled in the fridge which is set to 5 degrees. It felt like a proper pint in a pub would be colder initially which would impact on the overall taste.

Recommended serving temp is 5-7c, but I'd be fairly certain the actual, average, serving temperature is below that as the kegs usually stored in cold rooms these days and the beer is then put through a python chiller.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

Finally bit the bullet and got myself a jewelry cleaner and some cans. I am lucky to live close to the border and know someone who works there and getting the cans is very easy.

Got the jeweler cleaner on Amazon (UK) and the review mentioned it was a good one for Guinness.

Tried the can last night for the first time but the SURGE only worked from about half way to the top, nothing seemed to happen on the bottom half.

I then read cans should be in the fridge for 24 hours

So I am wondering (and hoping) that this is why it didn't surge properly. Will be trying again this evening, but does anyone else know if this is the case in advance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

bob2oo7 wrote: »
    Finally bit the bullet and got myself a jewelry cleaner and some cans. I am lucky to live close to the border and know someone who works there and getting the cans is very easy.

Got the jeweler cleaner on Amazon (UK) and the review mentioned it was a good one for Guinness.

Tried the can last night for the first time but the SURGE only worked from about half way to the top, nothing seemed to happen on the bottom half.

So I am wondering (and hoping) that this is why it didn't surge properly. Will be trying again this evening, but does anyone else know if this is the case in advance?

They can be a bit temperamental, they don't travel well so if you only got them yesterday and didn't leave them in fridge long enough this could happen. Make sure they are cold(can turns blue) put your glass into fridge and make sure it is 100% clean. Lastly, pour the guinness very slow into the glass. Takes a bit of getting used to to get it right to be honest.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

bob2oo7 wrote: »

Make sure there about 1 CM OF water in the unit and have the glass spotless. Helps if you chill the glass a wee bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

Found this business in Glasnevin, Dublin 11 on FB which has Guinness Surger cans in stock (70€) and went across and got me a slab of Surgers! i dropped them a bit coming in the door so giving them 24hrs to settle and chill in the fridge.
    Book a Bar: https://www.facebook.com/BookaBar03 contact details are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

POBox19 wrote: »
    Found this business in Glasnevin, Dublin 11 on FB which has Guinness Surger cans in stock (70€) and went across and got me a slab of Surgers! i dropped them a bit coming in the door so giving them 24hrs to settle and chill in the fridge.
    Book a Bar: https://www.facebook.com/BookaBar03 contact details are there.

Were you that excited you couldn't hold onto them !

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭minzabud

Have been surging with a jewellery cleaner the last two months, went through 24 surger cans but using normal ones now in can sized glass, talk about reinventing the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Simply Red

Anywhere online that have them in stock for order? Seem to be out of stock in all previous links posted here.

I've done a bit more experimenting.

I can confirm that the 470ML non widget cans work perfectly fine using the piercing method.
    I wanted to try with one of them before I tried with the O'Haras which uses the same system.

I have a Beamish and Murphys chilled and I'll try them with the piercing method in a while.

This completely negates the difference between the widget and non widget cans and it came out every bit as good.

I'm still not 100% on the difference between the Surger cans and the widget using the piercing method.
    I won't draw any final conclusions yet but it might just happen the cleaner alone would suffice than the extra hassle and cost of the surger cans.

There is certainly a difference between pouring them normally and the unit as I had my first tonight by the original method, before moving to the surger.
    The hand poured settled quick which hasnt happened once witn the unit(surger or widget).
    What the unit provides with either can is 100% consistency in the head. With the hand pour I'd find it settles at different rates(longer gives a more consistent head but bubbles with still persist with the cans over draught) but the Unit gives a long and slick head every time.

I'm going to throw 2/3 into rotation with my normal cans so hopefully I can make a good call on the difference with the rotation.
    In terms of visuals anyway, using the widget cans comes out pretty identical so its taste or no difference for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I find the ideal method is chill in the fridge, then remove and set on your counter for a couple of hours while you're drinking them. Full on lacing and cream deliciousness.

Too cold they aren't for me anyway, noticeably waterier and the head is less mouthy. The blue indicator should be kind of man city jersey blue, any deeper and you're in guinness extra cold territory which was discontinued for good reason.

Wish the draught cans with the pin prick were close but they are completely different. You will get the full visual effect and an impressive looking pint but I think they actually taste better with the dunk pour technique. Either way they're a mile behind the surger cans in taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bob2oo7

sharkman wrote: »
    Make sure there about 1 CM OF water in the unit and have the glass spotless. Helps if you chill the glass a wee bit .

2nd try last night, same result, it doesn't surge from the bottom, only from about half way and then settles within seconds, not minutes.

Can was in the fridge for 24 hours, very careful pouring it out.

I am going to buy another jeweler cleaner in the off-license today and send this one back to Amazon, the returns process seems to be very easy.

celt262 wrote: »
    Were you that excited you couldn't hold onto them !

Hahaha. No!
    The plastic wrap on the slab is not a strong as the wrap on the 500ml cans, so it tore and the slab fell.

If you are going to Sweden bring your empty's for a 1Kr refund!

Surger unit arrived this morning and I'm just back from collecting cans its a bit early to crack them open will try hold off a bit!

Surger unit arrived this morning and I'm just back from collecting cans its a bit early to crack them open will try hold off a bit!

Just an update on this.

First can didn't surge i think I poured it to quick as it had a head when I finished the pour.

The next two worked well and were beautiful pints and the fourth didn't surge great it didn't have a great head on it.

I left it at that and might try again tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

Has anyone for a link to a good surger unit/cleaner in stock anywhere?

This might work but won’t be quick

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0NysG7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I got one of those a while back delivered in under 2 weeks. I linked a couple of pages back.
    Also worth looking on hagglezon.com if looking for a jewellery cleaner.

• Advertisement

This might work but won’t be quick

https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0NysG7

I think it was shown earlier that Beer Foamers dont work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I think it was shown earlier that Beer Foamers dont work.
    The fat ones definitely do, the thin ones don't.

There is a video on youtube showing a guy opening both.

One has the Guinness surger ultrasonic plate and similar insides, the other doesn't and has dodgy looking electrics, loads of glue.

After having a good few over the weekend I reckon that it isn't worth the extra 40 quid or do for a slab of these. The dunk pour with the widget cans are not far off quality wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CandyButcher

After having a good few over the weekend I reckon that it isn't worth the extra 40 quid or do for a slab of these. The dunk pour with the widget cans are not far off quality wise.

Its all gimmick bull**** lads its all the same, watch this video of the Guinness guru doing a blind fold test on a surged can and regular, more less the same he says. Dont get ripped off

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMsgjLEnwNQ/?igshid=1sealisoc55ua

Theres a bit of a difference between dunking the cans and using the unit.

But I do agree if you're talking about surging the widget cans and the surger cans.

They both look pretty similar and taste wise I'm not sure how much of a difference there is.
    I can't say I've had a bad can of the surgers, they've all been nice.

I think long term I'll be surging the widget cans, id find it hard to go back hand pouring them tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Theres a bit of a difference between dunking the cans and using the unit.

But I do agree if you're talking about surging the widget cans and the surger cans.

They both look pretty similar and taste wise I'm not sure how much of a difference there is.
    I can't say I've had a bad can of the surgers, they've all been nice.

I think long term I'll be surging the widget cans, id find it hard to go back hand pouring them tbh.

I've been surging the widget cans for a few weeks now and I have to say, I'm mightily impressed with the end result.
    And like yourself, I couldn't see myself going back to hand pouring them.

Haven't yet tried a surger can and looking forward to eventually getting my hands on a slab.
    But there would have to be a major taste improvement to justify that €40 per slab price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Has anyone tried a two part surge yet? I've heard it's really important, and needs to be done for it to taste right.

Effects wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a two part surge yet? I've heard it's really important, and needs to be done for it to taste right.

Never considered it.

I'm not sure how much it will change things.

The head comes out about as good as it can and if people are to be believed its only a marketing gimmick so not sure how it improves the contents on a can, if theres truth to that aspect.

I'll give it a bash tomorrow night and report back :)

Just something I've learned.

The non widget cans seem to come out better than the widget.
    I still had a crate from Xmas and I've surged two, and one OHaras which uses the same system, and it just seems to come out better than the widget.
    I really enjoyed the OHaras(I botched the first two which made them even worse so it's a risk, seems easier to botch those for whatever reason.

20210404_024910.jpg?psid=1

*440ml hence the gap.

testtech05 wrote: »
    Has anyone for a link to a good surger unit/cleaner in stock anywhere?

Give this lad a call. He had them for €50 and slabs for €70.
    https://www.facebook.com/BookaBar03 contact details are there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Its all gimmick bull**** lads its all the same, watch this video of the Guinness guru doing a blind fold test on a surged can and regular, more less the same he says. Dont get ripped off

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMsgjLEnwNQ/?igshid=1sealisoc55ua

Wouldn't be taking that tube's word for it anyway. Form yer own opinion lads.

Merch, Jesus wept.

Advertisement