Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Glass has to be clean and dried properly

Cans in the fridge for about 6 hours

Take can from fridge and leave it rest 5-10 minutes

Open can put with one hand leaving base on the tab!e

Let it rest for thirty seconds

Pour slowly at 50 degree angle

It should look like a big glass on coke

Place in 5cm of water

Run until it reaches the top 6 seconds

It frosty magic should be fine!e from the bottom of the glass

Let it set in the survey

Enjoy

It is lovely and creamy.
    €2.50 a.Can is definitely worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Glass has to be clean and dried properly

Cans in the fridge for about 6 hours

Take can from fridge and leave it rest 5-10 minutes

Open can put with one hand leaving base on the tab!e

Let it rest for thirty seconds

Pour slowly at 50 degree angle

It should look like a big glass on coke

Place in 5cm of water

Run until it reaches the top 6 seconds

It frosty magic should be fine!e from the bottom of the glass

Let it set in the survey

Enjoy

It is lovely and creamy.
    €2.50 a.Can is definitely worth it

It's a pain in the hole spend more time getting ready for it than drinking it !

Suckit wrote: »
    This is the one I got fast shipping.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055876680.html
    I find it better than the 'flat' plate shaped one I also got. That isn't ultra sonic (the one linked is).

EDITED
    The Ultrasonic Cleaners on Amazon - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/ultrasonic%20cleaner
    and the Foamer - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/beer%20foamer

I got the aliexpress one and while it does surge it doesn't seem to explode as such and its like a very slow surge.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

celt262 wrote: »
    I got the aliexpress one and while it does surge it doesn't seem to explode as such and its like a very slow surge.

Any tips?

I too got an AliExpress 'Beer Foamer' and it is fun with Smithwicks and Lagers but pretty useless with Guinness, Surgers or Widget. There is something happening but they just don't have the kick that Guinness needs.

I've now got a Grundig on the way from Amazon DE cost €43 inc. delivery and vat.
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07B7NXD86/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item

POBox19 wrote: »
    I too got an AliExpress 'Beer Foamer' and it is fun with Smithwicks and Lagers but pretty useless with Guinness, Surgers or Widget. There is something happening but they just don't have the kick that Guinness needs.

I've now got a Grundig on the way from Amazon DE cost €43 inc. delivery and vat.

Yep the kick is missing with them. I don't know if i can justify spending any more money on it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

celt262 wrote: »

Any tips?

Water in the 'plate' and hold the button down for about 10 seconds ish. It's not as forceful (for lack of a better word) as the ultrasonic cleaners, but it definitely works. There are videos on youtube showing it working. Having to hold the button down is the main thing.

I tried the two part pour.

When I poured the left overs in there was some automatic reaction, though the box did add some more.

The end result: it looked and tasted the same. Wouldn't bother doing it again
    POBox19 wrote: »

I have the Grundig.

It doesn't have the incredible surge I've seen in some other videos(more the timing it takes to explode seems to be longer more than the overall effect) so you need to give it more than the 3 seconds some have mentioned.

Water in the 'plate' and hold the button down for about 10 seconds ish. It's not as forceful (for lack of a better word) as the ultrasonic cleaners, but it definitely works. There are videos on youtube showing it working. Having to hold the button down is the main thing.

Thanks will try holding it down longer but was afraid of it overflowing so was stopping when it got to the top.

Did the 10 seconds last night and got a great pint out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Wouldn't be taking that tube's word for it anyway. Form yer own opinion lads.

Merch, Jesus wept.

Have now tried 4 of these surged pints , gimmicky **** . This lockdown has driven people bananas. Can't wait for pubs to open so this fad is over. It's the pokemon go of alcohol. The sums of cash involved for blisteringly negligible difference in taste.

Also O Haras Nitro is a superior canned stout. Fantastic tupple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

listermint wrote: »
    Have now tried 4 of these surged pints , gimmicky **** . This lockdown has driven people bananas. Can't wait for pubs to open so this fad is over. It's the pokemon go of alcohol. The sums of cash involved for blisteringly negligible difference in taste.

Also O Haras Nitro is a superior canned stout. Fantastic tupple.

8 out of 10 times, i'm a craft beer drinker, but love a Guinness too.
    I think i'm being objective here.

Yes it is a bit of a gimmick, but it does affect the beer in a positive way.
    The head and lacing / whick are far superior when using the cleaner, whether it be widget cans or surgers. The mouthfeel is quite similar to a pub pint with a surger can also.

I do agree the taste difference is negligible, as you'd expect. It's the same product after all. If Guinness is all you know, then this really is worth the few quid. If you're getting a slab from the North it's €2.30 a can, for a beer that feels more like a pub pint. Delivery is extra, but it's extra from any of the craft beer distributers online too.

Of course O Haras is superior. Any of the craft nitros are, but again, if Guinness is all you drink, then it doesn't matter a fig what anything else tastes like.

BTW almost half of the O Haras nitros I bought failed to surge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

8 out of 10 times, i'm a craft beer drinker, but love a Guinness too.
    I think i'm being objective here.

Yes it is a bit of a gimmick, but it does affect the beer in a positive way.
    The head and lacing / whick are far superior when using the cleaner, whether it be widget cans or surgers. The mouthfeel is quite similar to a pub pint with a surger can also.

I do agree the taste difference is negligible, as you'd expect. It's the same product after all. If Guinness is all you know, then this really is worth the few quid. If you're getting a slab from the North it's €2.30 a can, for a beer that feels more like a pub pint. Delivery is extra, but it's extra from any of the craft beer distributers online too.

Of course O Haras is superior. Any of the craft nitros are, but again, if Guinness is all you drink, then it doesn't matter a fig what anything else tastes like.

BTW almost half of the O Haras nitros I bought failed to surge.

Yes it ruined two o Haras on me. So never again will they go in.

As I said. Not worth the cost or effort. It's a novelty item. And I drink Guinness on the regular. Simply not worth the effort to me. Clean glass, slightly chilled can upside down pour. Done.

Spend the money on another case of the black stuff and enjoy.

listermint wrote: »
    Yes it ruined two o Haras on me. So never again will they go in.

As I said. Not worth the cost or effort. It's a novelty item. And I drink Guinness on the regular. Simply not worth the effort to me. Clean glass, slightly chilled can upside down pour. Done.

Spend the money on another case of the black stuff and enjoy.

No, the O Haras cans themselves didn't surge when opened (the widget didn't activate). Nothing to do with the cleaner.

Horses for courses, but I like it I have to say.
    Not sure i'd buy a full slab again, but if they were readily available here, a 4 pack now and then would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

I have the Grundig.
    It doesn't have the incredible surge I've seen in some other videos(more the timing it takes to explode seems to be longer more than the overall effect) so you need to give it more than the 3 seconds some have mentioned.

The Grundig UC 5620 arrived. It's a neat unit, smaller then expected, rated at 50 watts with a frequency of 43hz. Filled the tank with water so it was almost to the Max line with a glass in it.
    I tried a Surger can with a full pour at a gentle angle so as not to agitate it. It produced a powerful surge effect, I was surprised it was so quick because of your experience, it only took a few seconds.

Wow, settled to a lovely creamy head on the pint and tasted very more-ish indeed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Seems the 'Nitrosurge' device could be coming out by summer...

Pop it over the top of a normal can and away you go, without the need for jewellery cleaner.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Seems the 'Nitrosurge' device could be coming out by summer...
    Those images look like a student project by someone who hasn't got the hang of Photoshop yet.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Those images look like a student project by someone who hasn't got the hang of Photoshop yet.

True but ya man on Instagram doesn't come across as the spreading fake news type though....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

True but ya man on Instagram doesn't come across as the spreading fake news type though....
    Yeah but the person three posters further up the chain might be. We all know how unsourced images can take on a life of their own on the internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Diageo do extensive market research using online polling via a company I can't be bothered using cause they pay too little (Irish Opinions), but via those surveys, long enough ago that they won't care the contents being mentioned, I saw early sights of Rockshore, Carlsberg Light, Carlsberg Unfiltered and various new tap heads and glasses.

So it is possible there is a rough product being run around online surveys. And its also possible its entirely made up.

The nitro gadget (if real) will appeal to a lot more people than the faffing around with a jewelry cleaner and that's before you get into pricking a standard can...

Diaego need to claw back some of the Guinness sales that won't return when pubs open. Peoples drinking habits will have changed and some people may not go to pubs as often as they used too. Some people also only drink Guinness in a pub as that's the only place to get a decent pint....this could help stop that drift to other brands being consumed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I was speaking to a mate that works fairly high up in there and he said there's no chance the surgers / surger cans will be put on sale here directly.

The vintners are their biggest customers, would be a bit of a kick when they're down, and the draught can sales are through the roof anyway, so why change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Turtle001

I was speaking to a mate that works fairly high up in there and he said there's no chance the surgers / surger cans will be put on sale here directly.

The vintners are their biggest customers, would be a bit of a kick when they're down, and the draught can sales are through the roof anyway, so why change anything.

That makes a lot of sense but I think the more interesting part will be whether other brewers latch on to the surger angle in order to increase sales/market share

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Turtle001 wrote: »
    That makes a lot of sense but I think the more interesting part will be whether other brewers latch on to the surger angle in order to increase sales/market share

Great shout, its a massive opportunity for someone to get some lovely marketshare.

9 white deer, brennan's and brewmaster have all capitalised on the keg shortage so why not...

A mate of mine is a haulier and was speaking with a wholesaler in Cork (not Musgraves). They were trying to import the surger cans, but Diageo fought them tooth and nail. They're dead against it, it seems. I'm not sure how Diageo could stop them tbh

I'm not sure how Diageo could stop them tbh
    If they sell any other Diageo products, the company would have leverage.

If they sell any other Diageo products, the company would have leverage.

Would wholesalers here generally import directly from Diageo UK or from another wholesaler in NI in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

So basically that device looks like this device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFdC9VLa4Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Slashs hat wrote: »
    So basically that device looks like this device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFdC9VLa4Q

The results of that device pour look exactly like mine do with the ultrasonic cleaner and widget cans- not amazing 'schtick' (glass lacing).

Advertisement