Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Slashs hat wrote: »
    So basically that device looks like this device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFdC9VLa4Q

Aw here i wont be able to help myself with this now !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Would wholesalers here generally import directly from Diageo UK or from another wholesaler in NI in this case?
    Not sure what you mean. "Generally" Irish companies buy Diageo products from Diageo Ireland or a company supplied by Diageo Ireland. In this case they're trying to buy a product that isn't available in Ireland, so they would have to buy it in the UK. They probably can't buy directly from Diageo UK because Diageo doesn't want the product sold in Ireland. So they would have to use a different supplier.

There's a similar situation with Wetherspoon. Diageo doesn't mind Guinness being sold at JDW prices in Britain but won't tolerate it in Ireland. When JDW threatened to bypass Diageo Ireland and source Guinness kegs from a supplier in Britain, Diageo was able to threaten them hard enough to make them think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    . When JDW threatened to bypass Diageo Ireland and source Guinness kegs from a supplier in Britain, Diageo was able to threaten them hard enough to make them think again.

That kind of strong arm tactic didn't work out too well for Heineken - JDW, temporarily, withdrew Heineken products from all of their UK outlets until Heineken Ireland decided to play nice.

That kind of strong arm tactic didn't work out too well for Heineken - JDW, temporarily, withdrew Heineken products from all of their UK outlets until Heineken Ireland decided to play nice.
    Definitely a case of Heineken thinking "We can play hardball too" and then being knocked unconscious by the first pitch. I like how JDW menus state categorically that when you order a Heineken in an Irish branch you're getting the 5% Dutch-brewed version, same as the UK, not the 4.3% one from Lady's Well.

https://twitter.com/thebeernut/status/1013091130194513920

(Apologies for veering off topic somewhat.)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They don't mark the Carlsberg with the reverse statement, though (3.8% instead of James Gate 4.3%).

Diageo don't seem too bothered about that, but its not the powerhouse brand it was in the (distant, tbh) past now, and as a licensee may not actually care. My local shop imported UK market Carlsberg and Tuborg for some years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

So basically that device looks like this device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFdC9VLa4Q
    celt262 wrote: »
    Aw here i wont be able to help myself with this now !
    They were giving that with the slabs in bar03 today or yesterday, Not great. It is like a really weak beer foamer (the thin one). I am going to give it another try tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

Suckit wrote: »
    They were giving that with the slabs in bar03 today or yesterday, Not great. It is like a really week beer foamer (the thin one). I am going to give it another try tomorrow.

Also this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IMMhifde5I

That looks very like the Guinness one from the posts further back, I wonder is the Guinness one just on a much higher setting.

Just give us the canssssss.

Bloody hell we all have the units now, we don't need another gizmo or different cans.

We just need what's already being produced at a reasonable price.

When only one company makes the product you want, there's no reason for them to sell it at a reasonable price. Capitalism baby!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

If they don't do surger cans and units in ROI, no big deal. They can be bought 40 mins from Dublin airport in Newry so their loss. I'm sure draught sales are through the roof, still doesn't make sense not to have an alternative Guinness product the way they do with bottles of stout, the Guinness craft stuff etc - it's all product. I'd well believe the LVI put pressure on them too though.

It seems odd that the product was on sale here before though https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10057102.html

That yoke is terrible. Worst of all of them, it literally does nothing at all.
    I tried new batteries, opened it to have a look, tried pressing it for longer, checked if light changes at all. It does nothing.
    When pouring through it, it makes the can kind of gargle, but that is the Guinness going through the tube/valve thing, nothing to do with any ultrasonic surge type thing.
    If I had paid €20 or even €1 from monkey whatever, I would be very pissed off..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A sign of the hype - all my Google Ads keyword suggestions for the beer brand account I buy ads for are related to Guinness Surger this month!

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

Anyone pouring a beer that way will get a great big head on it without a gizmo assisting.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Rx713B

Lads can ya surge the normal cans ? Any way of not activating widget

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Rx713B wrote: »
    Lads can ya surge the normal cans ? Any way of not activating widget

Yep, prick the top of a can with a pin or what i use, the corn on the cob holders lol....leave a minute then pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

MarkN wrote: »
    If they don't do surger cans and units in ROI, no big deal. They can be bought 40 mins from Dublin airport in Newry so their loss. I'm sure draught sales are through the roof, still doesn't make sense not to have an alternative Guinness product the way they do with bottles of stout, the Guinness craft stuff etc - it's all product. I'd well believe the LVI put pressure on them too though.

It seems odd that the product was on sale here before though https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-10057102.html

Pubs have too much of an influence... lets face it, regular Guinness in cans while drinkable, isnt great.... if you could replacate draught Guinness with a surger can and a widly available gizmo 'surger' .. a lot more people would give the pub a miss at least every now and then...

Maybe guinness designed and patented / copyrighted the surger here in order so nobody else could make it... they could control its manufacture.... ie. Keep it as a rare as hens teeth product... keep people in pubs buying the expensive pints as opposed to cheap cans...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yep, prick the top of a can with a pin or what i use, the corn on the cob holders lol....leave a minute then pour.

What's the difference between pricking it with a pin, and just pulling the tab to let the gas out without activating the widget, like in the video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1iB1hLMCz8

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭testtech05

What's the difference between pricking it with a pin, and just pulling the tab to let the gas out without activating the widget, like in the video?

Personally I've tried to do the tab method a couple of times and keep setting off the widget. I find sticking a thumb tack or similar into the top of the can works more reliably for me at least

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Listrydude

testtech05 wrote: »
    Personally I've tried to do the tab method a couple of times and keep setting off the widget. I find sticking a thumb tack or similar into the top of the can works more reliably for me at least

And when removing the pin or thumb tack, remove it slowly so the air releases gradually rather in one shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

testtech05 wrote: »

Ah ok. I must have the knack for it as i've managed to do it without activating the widget each time!, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

I tried that but kept setting off the widget. So I got a very fine pin and went in at the top of the side where the aluminum is very light. Keeping the pin in controls the release of pressure. You can then make the hole bigger and that helps to get a smooth pour without bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

I reckon I've a 50% success rate of opening the can by pulling the tab. So I use a screw to pierce the top each time- I've only messed that up once.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Checking in

Got my jewellery cleaner up and running.
    took a while to get the pin prick technique just right, have the hang of it now to do is slowly and keep the pin in until all gas is gone.

Overall happy with it, definitely creamier head, dont think much difference with taste, would like to give it a shot with the surger cans some day and experiment.

Will do a side by side test tonight- Draught Can vs Jewellery can and compare the 2.

Overall - would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Strumms wrote: »
    Pubs have too much of an influence... lets face it, regular Guinness in cans while drinkable, isnt great.... if you could replacate draught Guinness with a surger can and a widly available gizmo 'surger' .. a lot more people would give the pub a miss at least every now and then...

Maybe guinness designed and patented / copyrighted the surger here in order so nobody else could make it... they could control its manufacture.... ie. Keep it as a rare as hens teeth product... keep people in pubs buying the expensive pints as opposed to cheap cans...

None of this surger nonsense will stop people going to the pub for a pint of Guinness. Just no. Fraid not.

listermint wrote: »
    None of this surger nonsense will stop people going to the pub for a pint of Guinness. Just no. Fraid not.

You are right, it won't replace the pub but some people's habits of going X times a week will change once things reopen as they realise ever theyv saved by not going out.

You are right, it won't replace the pub but some people's habits of going X times a week will change once things reopen as they realise ever theyv saved by not going out.
    A lot of peoples habits will have changed. Especially all those that got mini keg systems, and have converted the shed/garage/kids bedroom :pac: into a personal bar area.. Or the people who have neighbours who did.
    Bar prices in my local are on a par with the highest in the Country, so I definitely wouldn't be running back.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think people are sick of seeing their own four walls. I think your over egging the notion people will stay at home over a few euro. There's no evidence of that. Sure people were going to sheebeens not because of the cost but to get out of the house and chat with people. The allure of just seeing crowds and social aspect even people watching will be always stronger than the price of a single can.

listermint wrote: »
    I think people are sick of seeing their own four walls. I think your over egging the notion people will stay at home over a few euro. There's no evidence of that. Sure people were going to sheebeens not because of the cost but to get out of the house and chat with people. The allure of just seeing crowds and social aspect even people watching will be always stronger than the price of a single can.

I never said they won't go to a pub again, I said I think they won't go as often.

Sure there will be the rush to go to them at the start but drinks/entertainment at home is a lot cheaper than just 'a few euro' over pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

For those of you trying to use normal cans, a sewing needle works a treat! Leave it in place for a few mins and slowly pull it out

Advertisement