Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I never said they won't go to a pub again, I said I think they won't go as often.

Sure there will be the rush to go to them at the start but drinks/entertainment at home is a lot cheaper than just 'a few euro' over pubs.
    I agree. People will undoubtedly go to the pub again, and when lockdown lifts, they will go in their droves. But when the dust settles, there will be long periods spent at home or in neighbours setup etc.
    The government may also try to come down hard on public drinking, but the truth is many are enjoying it, and not causing a disturbance or littering etc.
    Anyway, going OT.

Has anyone tried the O'Hara's Nitro stout in the surger?
    Is there a widget in the can?
    https://postimg.cc/JsYZxtX0
    None in any of my locals, so I will have to do without until I am near an O'Briens or can source some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

MarkN wrote:
    For those of you trying to use normal cans, a sewing needle works a treat! Leave it in place for a few mins and slowly pull it out

Did you stick it in the side, or near the ring pull tab bit?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Suckit wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the O'Hara's Nitro stout in the surger?
    Is there a widget in the can?
    Yes, there's a widget in the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

BigAl81 wrote: »

the side works for me - I use a corn on the cob holder as suggested by someone on here

I use a dart in the top...who's going to be first to stab themself and what household item will it be?.

Pierce Responsibly.

• Advertisement

I was reading this yesterday
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12316743-200-technology-the-extra-ingredient-in-a-can-of-draught-guinness-/
    and this
    https://www.marketingweek.com/guinness-unveils-perfect-pint-to-reverse-poor-sales/
    Got me thinking.. From the first paragraph in the article on the newscientist:
    The company has succeeded in canning a form
    of Guinness that, until recently, was available only on draught in public
    houses and restaurants.
    Which to me implies it is the same shtuff in the draught cans as in the surger cans (Draught Guinness :/ ), only they have taken the widget out, and introduced the surger to do the same thing, only better.
    I know many on here have already stated similar, but last night a friend of mine drove up North to get some for his father (even though I gave him book a bar details) for £50.. :eek::pac:
    And continued to tell me his father has been drinking Guinness for 100 odd years and this is the best creamiest Guinness he has ever tasted in his whole entire life ( I may have exaggerated some of that). But refuses to believe that they are the same product, or at least, could possibly be the exact same product.
    He used the term 'bitter' when referring/comparing the draught cans.
    I just don't get it... :confused:
    Also, thought this bit in the marketingweek article, was also worth taking notice of. Particularly the bolded bit.
    It will be available from February 27 with a starter kit priced at &£16.99, containing a Guinness Surger unit, a pint glass and two 520ml cans of Guinness Draught Surger beer. A four-can pack of Surger will also be available and will be priced in line with Guinness Draught in cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I'm back on the draught with the pin for a few days til I get a re-supply of the surgers.

It's still lovely like but there is a very obvious taste difference. Maybe it's the canning process or however they alter the abv (it's 4.1 in the surger v 4.2 in the draught...) Know nothing about brewing or anything so I have no idea but thankfully know what may taste buds tell me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

BigAl81 wrote: »

In the ring pull centre itself. Poured it for someone else, I usually have surgers on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The New Scientist article is from 1989 and is referring to the introduction of widget cans not the surger product. The surgers are from the mid 00s though I believe they tested the concept in the 70s but the tech for the surger itself was far too dear.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

2ndcoming wrote: »
    (it's 4.1 in the surger v 4.2 in the draught...)
    4.1% is the usual strength of Guinness in the UK. Draught cans are 4.1% there as well.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    The New Scientist article is from 1989 and is referring to the introduction of widget cans not the surger product. The surgers are from the mid 00s though I believe they tested the concept in the 70s but the tech for the surger itself was far too dear.
    Yeah, I saw that, but I was referring to the mention where it said "until recently, was available only on draught in public houses and restaurants." implying to me that it was the same stuff that is in the tap, as is the surger cans today.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Well, it'd be the same beer but they do state it was additionally nitrogenated, just as widget cans are now. That's the fixed widget era (or the first one, ignoring the recent one...), so slightly different.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

I heard that somewhere in Coolock village supplies slabs of Surger cans. Does anyone know where exactly?

POBox19 wrote: »
    I heard that somewhere in Coolock village supplies slabs of Surger cans. Does anyone know where exactly?
    A friend of mine got one, down the back of shops I think he said (I will find out), but iirc they charge €80.

Book a bar are in Glasnevin and €70

Suckit wrote: »
    A friend of mine got one, down the back of shops I think he said (I will find out), but iirc they charge €80.

Book a bar are in Glasnevin and €70
    Thanks, I'll stay with Book a Bar in that case.
    No problem with MUP at that price.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Where exactly are book a bar located in Glasnevin?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Stephen Gawking

Hi all, does anyone know where i could buy guinness surger cans in ireland? Or a link to a reputable online store? My father is lost without being able to go for a pint & he wants a taste of the black stuff before he goes doo lally. Thanks in advance.

Do you mean cans with the ball in them? Is that not every can? My dad practically lives on Guinness and anything that's come from Centra or Tesco has had the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Here you go. A detailed thread on it already

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058163370

Though with pubs open in a matter of weeks, it would be a waste buying it at this stage imo.

BeerNut wrote: »
    4.1% is the usual strength of Guinness in the UK. Draught cans are 4.1% there as well.

I'm aware of that, we're talking about UK surger cans vs Irish draught cans with the pin I would have thought

• Advertisement

POBox19 wrote: »

Bob's off licence Darndale. Book a bar cheaper and a good few lone rangers about delivering for 70

Edit: bob's newsagents

poundhound wrote: »
    Where exactly are book a bar located in Glasnevin?

Near the Willows. Contact them before heading there, details are on their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/BookaBar03

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Couldn't you just get him a takeaway pint at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Anyone here have links to get a surger? Being in dundalk fairly sure I can get the cans just up the road in jonesborough. Thanks

Anyone here have links to get a surger? Being in dundalk fairly sure I can get the cans just up the road in jonesborough. Thanks
    Hagglezon.com

https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/ultrasonic%20jewellery%20cleaner
    donedeal and adverts are selling them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Contact first and last off license.
    They have the cans, but a while back were selling the cleaners too.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Do book a bar or First and last Deliver surger cans?

Only Mulkerns Wines deliver from the north as far as I know, but I got an email this morning to say my order from last Thursday morning has just been processed...

They had been doing next day delivery but I guess that horse has bolted as the word spread, not their fault I'd say demand is through the roof but if I knew it was going to take a week I wouldn't have ordered from them it only works out about €20 dearer for two slabs from Book-a-bar.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Only Mulkerns Wines deliver from the north as far as I know, but I got an email this morning to say my order from last Thursday morning has just been processed...

They had been doing next day delivery but I guess that horse has bolted as the word spread, not their fault I'd say demand is through the roof but if I knew it was going to take a week I wouldn't have ordered from them it only works out about €20 dearer for two slabs from Book-a-bar.

Good shout on the above.

Thats not much dearer than NI retail and delivery wasnt too expensive.

Ordered two crates, still have 16 left so can wait it out.

• Advertisement

Good shout on the above.

Thats not much dearer than NI retail and delivery wasnt too expensive.

Ordered two crates, still have 16 left so can wait it out.
    How much did the 2 crates cost delivered?

Advertisement