Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Guinness have just announced a new system called Guinness Microdraught for bars and restaurants.

https://youtu.be/bXNeJtad8sE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Cazale wrote: »
    Guinness have just announced a new system called Guinness Microdraught for bars and restaurants.

is it a relaunch its been around awhile. remember seeing it on reddit a few months ago. https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/jopbss/guinness_can_dispenser_any_info/

shanec1928 wrote:
    is it a relaunch its been around awhile. remember seeing it on reddit a few months ago.

Was it ever launched? Is that video from reddit official?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭scotchy

Was it ever launched? Is that video from reddit official?

Definitely saw similar in some Scottish bars while touring around there a few years ago.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

From Diageo:
    "Guinness MicroDraught will be trialled in Fridays restaurants in Great Britain from June, in venues in Ireland from July and fully launched in Korea in July. Further trials in the United States, China, Hong Kong, Germany and Russia will follow later this year. "
    "The secret to how the MicroDraught unit produces beautiful Guinness every time is the world-first patent-pending double coaxial piercing of the can. It uses an air pump - as opposed to the gas cylinder used in the traditional system - to push the liquid out of the can and through the standard Guinness Draught spout."

Is this the end of the jewellery cleaners?

Is this the end of the jewellery cleaners?

I'd doubt it.

Looks to be retail only and even if you find a way around it, these are new cans so sourcing is a second issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Gas that they kept the two part pour with this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

jakiah wrote: »
    Gas that they kept the two part pour with this
    I'd say that's its primary purpose: to ensure the customer sees it being poured in two goes because that's how you recognise proper Guinness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

Another format for the Guinness supertasters to compare and contrast anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's like a parody of all the things thrown at Guinness over the years wrapped into one no doubt expensive electronic tap.

People will go wiiiild.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

I don't understand how so many people get so, yes, triggered, by a marketing exercise from a brewery.

I don't understand why some people are determined to scoff at any attempt by those of us looking for an upgrade on hand pouring cans.

If some of ye are happy with the cans, that's great, but some of us are willing to spend a little more to get something a letter closer to a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I'd doubt it.

Looks to be retail only and even if you find a way around it, these are new cans so sourcing is a second issue.
    What makes you think that?
    I got the impression that it would be available for home. But not entirely sure where I got that impression either, could very well be wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Suckit wrote: »
    What makes you think that?
    It's pretty heavily implied in the video, which is all footage of restaurants.
    Diageo wrote:
    To bring, fresh, beautiful Guinness on tap to outlets all over the world no matter their size or their setup

Padraig who runs the Open Gate tweeted yesterday
    Diageo wrote:
    Guinness Microdraught launched today, brilliant plug&play system for restaurants and cafes that don’t have space for a full setup.

It's for the on-trade.

This 'Microdraught' launches in Ireland next month. That means the cans will be available in wholesalers that supply small on-trade outlets. Chances are that it is the same beer as the 'Surger' Guinness in a slightly different can which will be no bother for most to workout how to get at the contents.
    I'd suggest that this will solve the long term sourcing issue for Surger fans and possibly bring the cost down.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I wondered about the can size.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/draught-alcohol-free-guinness-set-to-land-in-pubs-next-monthin-keg-so-small-its-a-can-40524041.html
    Unlike normal Guinness cans, which are 500ml, there is no ring pull and no widget inside, the 558ml can is designed to be slotted into the MicroDraught dispense unit.

558ml sounds too much for a pint glass. A pint is 568ml and a 500ml can is unsuitable, resulting in a huge head. I have added more guinness from a second can and reckon about 530-535ml would be a good amount to suit a 568ml glass.

I think 558ml would overflow the glass, the head is foamy/creamy and takes up more volume. I reckon its a mistake and cannot find an image of the can with the volume visible.

Surger cans are 520ml and also leave an overly large head in a 568ml glass.

Lots of "pint glasses" you might have are not 568ml. I think CE marked ones should be correct.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I could be wrong but I don't think they need to advertise the volume of the can if it's not being sold directly to the consumer. A keg, for example, doesn't have the volume on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

They should have had the Surger can there aswell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

celt262 wrote: »
    They should have had the Surger can there aswell :D

Video from January 2020 before renewed interest in the Surger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

POBox19 wrote: »
    This 'Microdraught' launches in Ireland next month. That means the cans will be available in wholesalers that supply small on-trade outlets. Chances are that it is the same beer as the 'Surger' Guinness in a slightly different can which will be no bother for most to workout how to get at the contents.
    I'd suggest that this will solve the long term sourcing issue for Surger fans and possibly bring the cost down.

only problem there is I think there is no ring-pull on these cans?

kingaaa wrote: »
    only problem there is I think there is no ring-pull on these cans?
    Would you think that would stop us getting at the black stuff inside?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭kingaaa

POBox19 wrote: »
    Would think that would stop us getting at the black stuff inside?:D:D

lol....not at all, but it could be messy !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

kingaaa wrote: »
    lol....not at all, but it could be messy !!!!

I think it will depend on how it's gassed in the can. I suspect the dispensing device will puncture the can in a specific way that allows the gas inside to create the fine bubbles typical of a nitro- pour. The advertising blurb claims to use an air pump, which might mean its not pressurised at all.. So, its a bit of a mystery.. Hopefully, all will be revealed here in July..

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Brian1975

Anyone know anything about Guinness Surger availability? Have seen videos of lads creating perfect pints at home using surger cans and ultrasonic jewelry cleaners as the activator. The official surgers were apparently 15 quid back in the day but are now going for 200 odd on eBay.

To be honest, I'd never even heard of the things but a bit of googling suggested they gave it up in 2009 and everything was discontinued. However Beershark has an ad for a 24 pack of "new stock". Can't find anything official about it being reintroduced but seems like plenty of people are getting their hands on it.

Hi. I do have them often enough. They are a lot creamier than the normal widget cans. They are a bit dearer but sure ye can have a nice creamy pint at home. If you want to try them out give me a shoutðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Anybody know anywhere in Enniskillen that sells the cans them and how much they cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

Was in the First and Last yesterday, slabs were reduced to £47.50 I think it was.

First time trying the surger cans, whilst I think they are slightly better than surging a regular can and will buy them the odd time, I don't think they are twice the price nice..

• Advertisement

I never bothered with the last 6 of the few I got, wasn’t worth the faff. Normal can is just as grand.

Advertisement