Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Butson

Can't get these anywhere.

Local Super Valu and Carry Out thought it would be near the Halloween Bank Holiday weekend before they got them again. Huge demand.

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea, same thoughts here.

Better than the widget cans, not as good as pub pints. To be expected, not realistic to expect a little device stuck on top of the can to match a proper setup for pouring.

Because surging the widget cans is probably better than the new cans.

Last night I had the Nitrosurge, then I Nitrosurged a Surger can(it barely worked and came out awful), and then I used the jewellery cleaner with a widget can for the above. That was settling a good while before I even took the photo.

The new device just won't give a long, large surge like that.

The longer and more intense the surge, the better the head IMO, that's why the cans come out poorly (using the widget) as they settle immediately and dont have enough time to work the bubbles out.

I haven't tried using the jewellery cleaner with the new device, but have used the new device on all three cans and the box works far better.

Having said that what the new device gives is convenience, you can have a few cans outside your home without bringing a box with you or using the widget.

I'll also use it a small bit at home, but I'll keep using the box as well with the widget cans in particular.

I wouldn't bother getting the surger cans again though with them being the same price as the Nitrosurge, so I'll use a mix of the other two when having a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I genuinely think you havet a clue how to use the new surger because you made a bit of a balls of what is a simple process and gives a perfect dome on the glass .

It a two part it's not meant to give a surge the length of the entire glass . Your shaking all the body out and just giving a big fat short term head...

What are you talking about?.

I think YOU haven't a clue what I was on about as the pictures above are both from a widget can.

Im perfectly capable of using the Nitrosurge cans and never made any mention of them in the last message.

I said the new unit doesnt surge as the jewellery cleaner, I wasnt talking about the dome.

Dont patrionaise me saying I've messed up 'a simple process' when you're misquoting me to begin with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's not meant to surge like a jewellery cleaner . It's a jewellery cleaner it's meant to clean objects ultrasonically.

The surger is perfectly designed by engineers to give consistent domed head from a can each time. It's been designed to be the best possible outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I saw in Dunnes at the weekend that the slabs of widget Guinness now come in the larger size to fill a pint glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

Bit confusing to be fair because you have a picture of a nitrosurge can in the background of the first picture Einstein.

Bought this over the weekend, overall impressive.

As with all Guinness, the pint glass is so important. Needs to be really clean and dry.

Fantastic, creamy head all the way down. Definitely fuller and thicker than the usual cans, not quite like a good pub pint but fair is fair that's pretty much impossible out of a can.

I tried it on top of a Normal, widget Guinness can. Definately improved that also, fuller head on it. I've young kids and don't get to the pub much anymore, so overall this is worth the investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I bought some of these cans accidentally at weekend without looking properly. What are they and what kind of device do I need to drink them? They're in my fridge now begging to be drank but no way of opening them, there's no ring pull at all. Must be some form of piercing and pouring machine but I'm not sure what it is or where I'd get one. But I'm determined to drink them so I'll buy whatever is necessary!

• Advertisement

You're out of luck.

They're the new Microdraught and require a tap style system to dispense.

Was released for the bar/restaurant sector a few months ago.

Not sure how you bought the cans though as they shouldn't be available unless they're bought from the service industry?.

You could maybe pierce them and use the new device or the jewellery cleaner. Not sure why that wouldn't work to be honest.

That's what I thought. I bought them in a eurospar in Dublin. Bit mad selling them if can't be used

Not sure why they're stocking them. The unit to use them isnt on general sale.

If you paid a decent price I'd bring then back as the piercing may not work the same as the other cans.

4 for a tenner. I thought they were nitrosurge because they looked very different from usual cans and just picked them up, they were in a little cardboard multipack holder so didn't cop they had no ring pull. I'll be passing that place in a few days. Can I defo not buy the unit? Wouldn't mind buying it unless it's an extortionate price

No, I'd love to get one. I have a relation who owns a few cafes and was going to ask him could he source one and the cans and I'd buy it.

It launched in the UK first I think and is being used in Irish pubs now with Guinness 0.0.

You'd need someone with access to retail products to get the unit and it's pretty big, likely costs a few 100. Youd nearly need a bar for it as its basically a bar tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Have you any publican friends who sell the new Guinness Zero?

If so, their contraption might be able to pop them for you. You'll probably have to give him/her whatever the equivalent of a corkage charge for a can is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Loads of the devices in Greystones Tesco last weekend - with the N/A stuff. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, will probably be the weekend at this stage. (With Guinness 0.0, O'Hara's Nitro and found a Hope Nitro can in the stash!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Even though I have one of these, can no longer justify walking past €26 slabs to pay nearly 150% more for the same drink.

You dont have to. Pierce the top of the widget can and use the device on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Could you elaborate on this? Pierce with what? So do you pierce the can and then open it and attach the surger as if it was the surger can?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Info here.

Some prefer to pierce the top (golden in the video) part of the can, with a thumb tack or dart or whatever. Move it around slowly to release the gas without activating the widget.

Edit:

In the case of the Guinness surger unit, you'd pierce the can as above, wait a few mins, then open and pop the surger unit over like you would with a surger can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

what exactly is happening there - you release the pressure in the can, does than not release the Nitrogen in the widget as well?

Not if you barely lift the tab. It hisses like in the video if you go softly enough.

It can be hit and miss which is why most people seem to prefer using a dart / tack of some description to pierce the top of the can.

so where does the nitrogen go, is it released into the beer when you pour?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I've never done this, but I thought the whole point was to release the gas from the widget so it doesn't disturb the nitrogen dissolved in the beer until whatever hardware you're using can get to work on it. That looks to be what's happening in the video anyway.

That's exactly it.

It pours as per the video and looks like flat coke, but when you put the glass in an ultrasonic cleaner, the vibrations release the nitrogen and the surge starts.

Similar with the Guinness surger device, except it's activating the nitro bubbles as you pour.

so there's Nitrogen dissolved in the beer as well as in the widget?

There's both nitrogen and co2.

It's the c02 that's mostly dissolved in the beer, my mistake. That's what helps form the head.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Yes. Nitrogen dissolves easily in beer and stays put. The technological challenge is getting it out so that it forms bubbles: floating widgets full of compressed gas, restrictor plates, ultrasonic agitation and the plain hard pour are all just ways of shaking the dissolved nitrogen out of solution.

• Advertisement

Advertisement