Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Where did ye get all your gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Can confirm that they are worth it. Made with a Silver Crest cleaner, have a black unit ordered though.

D5-EC5-AFD-19-A6-4037-99-B6-0844-E62-B6-C05.jpg
    93-AD168-E-0870-4-C34-A5-A8-7-CA6970-EECB1.jpg

Can ye post a link or tell me where you got the silver crest cleaner mark? Or where you have ordered your black unit from? Trying to get one for a present

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

Can ye post a link or tell me where you got the silver crest cleaner mark? Or where you have ordered your black unit from? Trying to get one for a present

Silvercrest one is lidl, and it's available for 25 quid, but it really depends on the lidl, it's labelled as an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner. If that fails, look for an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner on amazon or eBay, it may take longer to arrive but they should be OK too

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

Lynk wrote: »
    Tested out my first can earlier, put the glass in the freezer for 10-15 mins, put the can in there for 20.

What I will say is the head is half way between the proper pint and the cans, I wouldn't say its a creamy a top as a top level pint. But the flavour is great. Honestly, I reckon flavour wise its a 8/10 pint you'd get in a pub, which is worth it's weight in gold at these times.

The same beer goes into the normal cans, surger cans and kegs. This is not flavour you are talking about.

However drinking a beer ice cold is one sure way to hide any flavour.

• Advertisement

I tried 5 Lidl stores on Saturday but couldn't find any.

The one I ordered is this one https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N6SUZKH/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item

MarkN wrote: »
    I tried 5 Lidl stores on Saturday but couldn't find any.

The one I ordered is this one https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01N6SUZKH/ref=pe_3044161_185740101_TE_item

How are ye lads getting this delivered to Ireland? It keeps saying it's unavailable for delivery, can't get my head around it at all

The same beer goes into the normal cans, surger cans and kegs. This is not flavour you are talking about.

However drinking a beer ice cold is one sure way to hide any flavour.

The normal cans are absolute garbage and you know that. Metallic taste, settles in 5 seconds and goes flat 4 mins after you pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Responded to my Query on the 26th of Feb
    Dear Mr,

Unfortunately as the surgers are not used in bars in Ireland

Not anymore but I have been served a surger pint in a bar in Dublin!

Looked and tasted exactly the same as any draught pint of Guinness, if I hadn't seen it being done I'd have been none the wiser.

Also cans cannot have a 'metallic taste' cans are plastic lined- and aren't beer kegs made out of metal....?

Have never had a floating widget can of Guinness go flat in four minutes either. The head from the fixed widget can slabs at Christmas wasn't nearly as good, but I wasn't letting them sit long enough in the glass to care :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Not anymore but I have been served a surger pint in a bar in Dublin!

Looked and tasted exactly the same as any draught pint of Guinness, if I hadn't seen it being done I'd have been none the wiser.

Also cans cannot have a 'metallic taste' cans are plastic lined- and aren't beer kegs made out of metal....?

Have never had a floating widget can of Guinness go flat in four minutes either. The head from the fixed widget can slabs at Christmas wasn't nearly as good, but I wasn't letting them sit long enough in the glass to care :pac:

I'm talking about the fixed widget. The cans prior to the pandemic weren't bad at all, then they seemed to get progressively worse in quality, culminating in the fixed widget which is absolute sludge. Those cans are the ones that settle in 10 seconds and go stale in 4 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anyone try an ordinary can on the sonic cleaner probably noted previously

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

How are ye lads getting this delivered to Ireland? It keeps saying it's unavailable for delivery, can't get my head around it at all

Unusual, just checked here and mine was delivered directly to me without any third party courier.

Until you've tried these cans, it would be best to reserve judgement. They are a far superior product. Seriously. :D

Quickest I can get the Klarstein ultrasonic cleaner is estimated 15-19th March through Amazon ES (Spain) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

The normal cans are absolute garbage and you know that. Metallic taste, settles in 5 seconds and goes flat 4 mins after you pour.

Hardcore Guinness drinkers are absolutely insane. The Gemma O'Dohertys of the beer drinking world. Conspiracy after conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I'm talking about the fixed widget.

The fixed widget isn't the normal can, and hopefully won't be back.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This thread is evidence that you eat with your eyes as much as you do with your mouth.

Most hardcore Guinness drinkers have trouble distinguishing between Guinness and Murphy's let alone between cans, kegs and surgers.

Hats off to the Guinness marketing department though. The amount of myths that have created around their product is something else.

Hardcore Guinness drinkers are absolutely insane. The Gemma O'Dohertys of the beer drinking world. Conspiracy after conspiracy.

Hahaha, 5G is to blame for the lacklustre Guinness products of late. Either that or George Soros. ;)

Most hardcore Guinness drinkers have trouble distinguishing between Guinness and Murphy's let alone between cans, kegs and surgers.

It's like Pepsi and Coke. Murphys and Guinness are both stout, but they have a different flavour. Doesn't take someone "hardcore" to know that. Just someone with functioning taste buds.

Don't think I'll bother at this stage either and will talk sense into the oul lad.

If Guinness themselves didn't bother to make such a product available during the last 12 months that tells you all. Sure they could have made an absolute fortune selling official gadgets to make their cans taste more like a pint in the pub.

When you type "Guinness surger unit" into google it brings you to Ebay UK, where old, old pieces of equipment in places like Stoke, are being sold by complete numpties who think their worthless piece of equipment is somehow able to be sold for £300GBP all of a sudden. Another fad, people going mad over something just to say they have it, each to their own.

Don't think I'll bother at this stage either and will talk sense into the oul lad.

If Guinness themselves didn't bother to make such a product available during the last 12 months that tells you all. Sure they could have made an absolute fortune selling official gadgets to make their cans taste more like a pint in the pub.

When you type "Guinness surger unit" into google it brings you to Ebay UK, where old, old pieces of equipment in places like Stoke, are being sold by complete numpties who think their worthless piece of equipment is somehow able to be sold for £300GBP all of a sudden. Another fad, people going mad over something just to say they have it, each to their own.
    The cans taste exactly like (sometimes better), than pints from the pub. They don't look like pints from the pub however.

• Advertisement

The cans taste exactly like (sometimes better), than pints from the pub. They don't look like pints from the pub however.

Proved my argument, you don't have functioning taste buds either that or your local must be serving out absolute dross.

Na I'd have to disagree there, the cans don't taste the same ever, and from a few people I know who've used the gadget, they said they're very very good, but still not as good as a top class pour from a decent local.

I don’t understand the hate towards those who want to use these. There is a difference. Murphy’s and Guinness, there is a difference (totally different malt flavour from Murphy’s). If you can’t taste that, there’s something up.

We’re 12 months into this crap, if people want to try surge cans, what’s the harm !

MarkN wrote: »
    I don’t understand the hate towards those who want to use these. There is a difference. Murphy’s and Guinness, there is a difference (totally different malt flavour from Murphy’s). If you can’t taste that, there’s something up.

We’re 12 months into this crap, if people want to try surge cans, what’s the harm !

There is a difference yes, but most people wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. Case study of one I know, but a friend of mine is one of those annoying Guinness drinkers. Only drinks it and claims it's better in Grogans/Palace/_insert good Guinness pub here_. So as an experiment we got him a pint of Murphy's served in a Guinness glass. He literally proclaimed it to be a particularly excellent pint of Guinness. The flavour profiles are different but not a million miles different.

A blind taste test on pulled, surged and canned pints would be interesting. I would bet most would struggle to identify the better drink. And of course they would, it's the same beer in all three.

But yeah, go buy your surger if you want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Demonstrably bollocks.
    This thread is evidence that you eat with your eyes as much as you do with your mouth.

Nothing close to a hardcore Guinness drinker here and can say that this is, again, absolute bollocks.

Just ****ing lol.

Demonstrably bollocks.

Nothing close to a hardcore Guinness drinker here and can say that this is, again, absolute bollocks.

Just ****ing lol.
    Demonstrably bollocks, I suppose you will be able to point to the evidence so, because whether kegged or canned it comes from the same fermentation vessel and is chemically indistinguishable.

Without the cue of sight I would bet you couldn't reliably tell the difference. That's nothing to be surprised about, some people can't tell the difference between pork and lamb in a blind test, wine experts are not be able to distinguish between red and white wine dyed red.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is a difference yes, but most people wouldn't be able to tell you which was which. Case study of one I know, but a friend of mine is one of those annoying Guinness drinkers. Only drinks it and claims it's better in Grogans/Palace/_insert good Guinness pub here_. So as an experiment we got him a pint of Murphy's served in a Guinness glass. He literally proclaimed it to be a particularly excellent pint of Guinness. The flavour profiles are different but not a million miles different.

A blind taste test on pulled, surged and canned pints would be interesting. I would bet most would struggle to identify the better drink. And of course they would, it's the same beer in all three.

Tbf. Murphys and Guinness is easily spotable they are completely different tastes.

Your friend is just a bull ****ter.

And yes these surgers are a gimmick.

All these things can be true at the same time .

I don't think this lad has ever had a decent pint, probably goes to Dublin Airport to get his Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Demonstrably bollocks, I suppose you will be able to point to the evidence so, because whether kegged or canned it comes from the same fermentation vessel and is chemically indistinguishable.

Without the cue of sight I would bet you couldn't reliably tell the difference. That's nothing to be surprised about, some people can't tell the difference between pork and lamb in a blind test, wine experts are not be able to distinguish between red and white wine dyed red.

a) you could absolutely tell the difference

b) is not chemically indistinguishable. A 90 second check on the Guinness website will tell you that the brew in the keg (the same that goes into the Surger cans) is carbonated more. Lately a chemical difference between the two.

c) it's almost as if sight is an important part of the dining experience, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I do feel people may be able to tell the difference between canned and kegged nitro Guinness in blind tests (no knowledge of surger) but I think it would be due to them feeling slightly different (the head does seem to be a slightly different texture to my untrained Guinness palette!) rather than tasting different.

Whether you think that what the tasteless part of a drink feels like should be the key variable in judging the quality of said drink is a different matter of course...

Advertisement