Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,387 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

A can shouldn't fill a pint glass. A lot of the reason why can pints look so sad is that the head doesn't dome over the edge of the glass like it would if it was dispensed in a pub.

Using the correct, 500ml glass corrects this.

I have often wondered why Guinness and other drinks companies don't do 565ml cans for the Irish and UK market. Must be no profit in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

A can shouldn't fill a pint glass.

The surger cans are 520ml. The surge then creates the head that brings it right to the top of the glass!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

The normal cans are nice, I had one or four, the surger cans however are superior. Sorry, you can discount this, you can say they came from the same supply, but... Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have often wondered why Guinness and other drinks companies don't do 565ml cans for the Irish and UK market. Must be no profit in it.

The floating widget 500mL can is already the same size as a 568mL non-widget can. A 568mL widget can wouldn't fit in a lot of people's fridges.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The floating widget 500mL can is already the same size as a 568mL non-widget can. A 568mL widget can wouldn't fit in a lot of people's fridges.

It could be slightly wider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭jakiah

I love an aul "Guinness drinker" thread. I bet these lads eat steak well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It could be slightly wider.

I suspect that canning machines are generally designed to take varying heights not varying widths; or at least they would only be designed for the standard two widths (the "normal" one and the "Red Bull and now Coke" width). Looking at can blanks from the main suppliers and they all just vary in height.

That a 520ml can surged fills a pint glass does give an indication of what liquid volume you're getting served as a pint in most cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

These Guinness threads really bring out a certain type, and there's been a few in this thread alone.

If you dislike either Guinness or 'that type' of Guinness drinker, do everyone a favour and don't contribute to the thread.

If someone believes that a Guinness pour is alchemy, they're not going to have their opinion changed by someone on the internet, who's clearly trying to belittle them.

Very rarely in any of the many craft beer threads, do you get a Guinness (or any macro) drinker interject, to pontificate to craft beer enthusiasts. However, every time, without fail when a Guinness thread is started, you see these know alls 'surge' in to share their pearls of wisdom, and try to enlighten the savages.

I love craft beer and i love Guinness too. Can't we all just get along...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Plenty of people who know the marketing nonsense is nonsense still drink the product.

L1011 wrote: »
    Plenty of people who know the marketing nonsense is nonsense still drink the product.

I'm one of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

These Guinness threads really bring out a certain type, and there's been a few in this thread alone.

If you dislike either Guinness or 'that type' of Guinness drinker, do everyone a favour and don't contribute to the thread.

If someone believes that a Guinness pour is alchemy, they're not going to have their opinion changed by someone on the internet, who's clearly trying to belittle them.

Very rarely in any of the many craft beer threads, do you get a Guinness (or any macro) drinker interject, to pontificate to craft beer enthusiasts. However, every time, without fail when a Guinness thread is started, you see these know alls 'surge' in to share their pearls of wisdom, and try to enlighten the savages.

On a discussion forum related to beer it's not unreasonable for beer enthusiasts to point out myths and inaccuracies about beer perpetrated as facts.

You'd like a beer thread where no one can be challenged on their "facts"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The thread had nothing to do with Guinness vs cans vs craft beer. It was about surger availability and options. A few of us got sorted, and happily so.

If all you want to do is pontificate about absolute nonsense or feel some misplaced (very, very misplaced in some of your cases) smug sense of superiority because you're craft beer **** who love to laugh at the plebs drinking Guinness or you're professional flavourists or whatever, kindly piss off somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 l14masasddadsg

They are, especially in niteclubs and function rooms where the keg room may as well be in another county is so far away. These are the exception.

I was gonna say if you think Guinness tastes the same everywhere you've never had one in a nightclub.

There are pubs that have good Guinness, and there are some that don't. To say it's not a thing and the same everywhere is incorrect. To say a can is the same as draught is even more wrong.

Coming from Cork, there are some pubs I'd drink Murphys or Beamish, and others I wouldn't touch it. Guinness is the same, but probably the most reliable of the 3.

On a discussion forum related to beer it's not unreasonable for beer enthusiasts to point out myths and inaccuracies about beer perpetrated as facts.

You'd like a beer thread where no one can be challenged on their "facts"?

This isn't a thread about that though.
    It's about Guinness drinkers looking to source a 'new' product that's supposed to be somewhere between the widget cans and a draught pint.

From the initial video, and posters here sharing their own experiences using a surger unit or ultrasonic cleaner, it definitely appears that the beer is closer to a draught pint than a standard can. It'll be another few months before people can get a pint so where's the harm in them trying to enhance their drinking experience?

I said earlier in the thread, that for me, Guinness is mostly about the mouthfeel and appearance, and this unit certainly appears to improve it.

There are literally dozens of more interesting stouts and porters available on the market, and i've tried and loved most of them, but sometimes it's nice to have a few pints of Guinness, and enjoy them full in the knowledge that most of the marketing is boll1x.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

The thread had nothing to do with Guinness vs cans vs craft beer. It was about surger availability and options. A few of us got sorted, and happily so.

If all you want to do is pontificate about absolute nonsense or feel some misplaced (very, very misplaced in some of your cases) smug sense of superiority because you're craft beer **** who love to laugh at the plebs drinking Guinness or you're professional flavourists or whatever, kindly piss off somewhere else.

Clearly the professional flavourists are the lads drinking Guinness, superhuman levels of ability to taste subtle differences, depending on the method of dispensing.

Obviously it is the rest of us talking 'absolute nonsense' alright. Unwilling to meet lads in car parks for a pack of Guinness cans that you pay twice the amount for, that has had to be got from the UK (I thought once Guinness hits the UK, it turns ****e?). Yep, we are the ones talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Slashs hat

So how much would you pay for a surger unit. - I am not selling put just asking this group how much would be willing to spend on the tower unit with your own cash. Going stupid money these days in my view. Would ye pay €300

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Slashs hat wrote: »
    So how much would you pay for a surger unit. - I am not selling put just asking this group how much would be willing to spend on the tower unit with your own cash. Going stupid money these days in my view. Would ye pay €300

35-40 euro for a jewellery cleaner. There's absolutely no need to buy the official surger.

Slashs hat wrote: »

Personal preference i guess.
    I couldn't see why anyone would pay any more than €25 / €30 if that's what an ultrasonic cleaner is going for.
    You could even get a black one, and put a Guinness sticker on it if for whatever reason, it improved how it looks for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Right folks, can we get back to discussing the surger cans and units just. We can have other threads on Guinness in general if needs be. Please also remember to be at least be civil if you are disagreeing with someone on here.

BigAl81 wrote: »
    K, the scientific research continues.

This evening I added more water to the jewellery cleaner, so at least an inch deep.

Before I had less than half that.

It's a complete game changer, tonight's beers are twice as good I reckon. Bigger fuller creamier head that lasts the whole way down to the end. Very impressed this evening I have to say!

I'm going to have another one now just to be sure ;)

Have you tried using the surger with a standard widget can, like in the video below? I'd be interested to see your results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Dose anybody know where one would get a ultrasonic cleaner / jewellery cleaner in Dublin, the lidls in and around my area are sold out.

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect that canning machines are generally designed to take varying heights not varying widths; or at least they would only be designed for the standard two widths (the "normal" one and the "Red Bull and now Coke" width). Looking at can blanks from the main suppliers and they all just vary in height.

That a 520ml can surged fills a pint glass does give an indication of what liquid volume you're getting served as a pint in most cases.

A canning line would be easily adjusted for different widths but probably more difficult at the can manufacturing side of things.

Have you tried using the surger with a standard widget can, like in the video below? I'd be interested to see your results?

I'll be trying this at the weekend and am very (very!) interested to see how it goes. I'll report back.

If that trick means we can use regular Guinness cans that would be deadly!!

I'm also planning a blind taste test with regular Guinness v Surger Guinness. Watch this space!

Another authentic Guinness experience this morning after a few Surger cans last night. I'm starting to see where the surge name came from I think ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'll be trying this at the weekend and am very (very!) interested to see how it goes. I'll report back.

If that trick means we can use regular Guinness cans that would be deadly!!

I'm also planning a blind taste test with regular Guinness v Surger Guinness. Watch this space!

Another authentic Guinness experience this morning after a few Surger cans last night. I'm starting to see where the surge name came from I think ;)

Tried it tonight by putting a tiny hole in the can , sucessfully got the Guinness out without the wigit activating . It worked perfectly in the surger unit but , but it diddnt taste the same ...

sharkman wrote:
    Tried it tonight by putting a tiny hole in the can , sucessfully got the Guinness out without the wigit activating . It worked perfectly in the surger unit but , but it diddnt taste the same ...

Would you try a blind taste test ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I see a lot looking for the ultrasonic cleaners - you can search for them across all eu amazons using hagglezon.

But there are cheaper options that work, and some are even copies of the Guinness surger itself (without the lights and decor)

I have been looking for Surger cans and this thread keeps popping up, so I had a look through it. I know there is an off licence in Glasnevin that sells them. Not sure which one though and I believe it is €70 a slab.

Anyway - These Ultrasonic 'foamers' work well. I haven't compared them to the ultrasonic cleaner half filled with water though, so not sure which is better, but this is well worth the €10 I paid (different seller last year) and even the €15 now. Might be cheaper elsewhere.

Use your own USB plug.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Lager-Beer-Foamer-Surger-Unit-Sonic-Ultrasonic-Perfect-Head-Frother-Foam-Maker/393160963403
    There are different versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

sharkman wrote: »

Probably because it's possibly a load of bollix for folks who've justified in their minds buying a machine and spending twice the money on a can for it.

I'm waiting on a serious blind taste test ok a surger unit , normal can and a draught.

We will see them what's actually bollix. My money's on the surger being shown up as no different solely because I hate to see people robbed of hard earned money.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

listermint wrote: »
    Probably because it's possibly a load of bollix for folks who've justified in their minds buying a machine and spending twice the money on a can for it.

I'm waiting on a serious blind taste test ok a surger unit , normal can and a draught.

We will see them what's actually bollix. My money's on the surger being shown up as no different solely because I hate to see people robbed of hard earned money.

Why don't you try them yourself instead of being so bitter? (pun intended)

I had 3 cans of 500ml and followed it up with it 3 cans of Surger and there's a definite quality jump with the surger cans. I really wish this wasn't the case, I don't fancy shelling out 80 euro for a slab if I could just put up an 8 pack for 12 but jesus, there's no contest. I even did the widget trick just to test it out, the surger honestly makes no difference with the standard cans taste.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Lynk wrote: »
    there's a definite quality jump with the surger cans.
    Can you describe what the difference is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Would you try a blind taste test ;)

Have a fresh half keg to open next week and will be doing just that.

Advertisement