Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Got the €7.99 glasses in Lidl yesterday so had to try a surger can on a weeknight :)

E6-B2-AD50-E65-D-4345-A786-23-D42-D9-D5-F2-B.jpg
    D6-C2-C927-6-E26-4974-B0-BE-3388-CABE0-FC0.jpg
    AD3663-BB-FD92-49-EE-8-B77-954-B01-D94-E59.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

sharkman wrote: »
    Tried it tonight by putting a tiny hole in the can , sucessfully got the Guinness out without the wigit activating . It worked perfectly in the surger unit but , but it diddnt taste the same ...

I'd imagine the taste to be the same as a regular widget can, but did the surger unit (using a widget can) create a better head / lacing / nicer mouthfeel vs just opening and pouring a standard widget can

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

I'd imagine the taste to be the same as a regular widget can, but did the surger unit (using a widget can) create a better head / lacing / nicer mouthfeel vs just opening and pouring a standard widget can

Yes , using the can without activating the widget and then surging it gave a much creamier head which lasted a bit longer . However there was a noticeable taste difference (I believe) .

I believe the liquid in the Surger cans is originally destined for kegs where as the contents of the draught cans is separate and treated differently. Almost the same liquid but different levels of gas’s included in the canning process.

without activating the widget

Go on then, you've grabbed my attention. How is this done?

Go on then, you've grabbed my attention. How is this done?

I used a pin and gently poked a hole just below the lid of the can . Leaving the pin in to prevent a quick change in pressure in the can as this is what activates the widget .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Yes , using the can without activating the widget and then surging it gave a much creamier head which lasted a bit longer . However there was a noticeable taste difference (I believe) .

I believe the liquid in the Surger cans is originally destined for kegs where as the contents of the draught cans is separate and treated differently. Almost the same liquid but different levels of gas’s included in the canning process.

Noticeable difference vs a widget can poured normally, or vs a surger can?
    Did it taste a bit flatter, due to the gas being released do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Lynk

BeerNut wrote: »
    Can you describe what the difference is?

Theres no twang or bad aftertaste that you would sometimes get with the cans. The whole thing feels lighter for lack of a better word, I feel a mediocre or worse pint of Guinness has a weight to it and is a chore to get through, I was knocking back the surger cans effortlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Jaaaaassssuusss

This thread is giving me an awful thirst

Pint-of-Guinness-scaled.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lynk wrote: »
    Why don't you try them yourself instead of being so bitter? (pun intended)

I had 3 cans of 500ml and followed it up with it 3 cans of Surger and there's a definite quality jump with the surger cans. I really wish this wasn't the case, I don't fancy shelling out 80 euro for a slab if I could just put up an 8 pack for 12 but jesus, there's no contest. I even did the widget trick just to test it out, the surger honestly makes no difference with the standard cans taste.

Because I won't spend 70 bills on a slab of Guinness whatever the origin.

Secondly as I said call my cynical all you like. I think given a blind taste test you'd become unstuck on your assessment.

Il await someone in here to do a real blind taste test

Theres no twang or bad aftertaste that you would sometimes get with the cans. The whole thing feels lighter for lack of a better word, I feel a mediocre or worse pint of Guinness has a weight to it and is a chore to get through, I was knocking back the surger cans effortlessly.

Would absolutely love to put you to the test.

The mind has alot to answer for with placebo effect. And one of them can be your brain justifying expenditure ;)

• Advertisement

Blind taste test done , picked the Surger straight away .

Blind taste test done , picked the Surger straight away .

Words mean nothing. Need video and control.probably time get on to the Guinness guru. He appears to be open to being wrong.

listermint wrote: »
    Because I won't spend 70 bills on a slab of Guinness whatever the origin.

Secondly as I said call my cynical all you like. I think given a blind taste test you'd become unstuck on your assessment.

Il await someone in here to do a real blind taste test
    Would absolutely love to put you to the test.

The mind has alot to answer for with placebo effect. And one of them can be your brain justifying expenditure ;)

Jesus lads, it's 80 euro, most of you have knocked that off in a ****e nightclub, I don't get the begrudging? I had 3 500ml cans, and I followed it with the surgers. There's a definite quality difference, I don't buy this blind taste bollocks being the litmus test.

Jesus lads, it's 80 euro, most of you have knocked that off in a ****e nightclub, I don't get the begrudging? I had 3 500ml cans, and I followed it with the surgers. There's a definite quality difference, I don't buy this blind taste bollocks being the litmus test.

Your not in a nite club. Your at home. It's not begrudging it's calling waffles on taste difference. It's placebo it's alot of money to spend.

As I said I'm in no doubt you wouldn't be able to pick between them.

Also it's your money who cares how you spend it. But k can equally say I don't think it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

How are we back to this discussion already ffs.

Your not in a nite club. Your at home. It's not begrudging it's calling waffles on taste difference. It's placebo it's alot of money to spend.

Also it's your money who cares how you spend it. But k can equally say I don't think it's worth it.

Just let people enjoy what they want. It’s little enough anyone gets these days.

People regularly spend 80 or more on pints on a night out, if you want to go halves with someone it lowers the cost. Do I personally think its worth 80 euro if its for your own personal consumption? No, but that's me. If there's a demand in this country and its available for 50 I'd buy it regularly over the normal cans. You can't call it a placebo if you haven't tried it.

Good for you lad. I'm telling you there's a difference, I've tried both, you haven't. Until you have how about piping down and leaving the thread? You have no experience with these cans, everyone who has so far has said they think there is, and every one of them that has has people like you lashing out at them for even suggesting there is. Cop on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Mod: Right lads, it's Friday night, give it a rest and just keep the discussion to the cans and how to source them. No point going round and round arguing whether there's a difference in them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

Does anyone know if Guinness that comes in the Keg is carbonated or is it just flat. Is it just the gas that it is dispensed with that introduces the 70 %nitro and 30% c02 or is there already c02 in the keg and you just dispense then with the mix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

So further down the rabbit hole I went.

Just in case the new style Guinness glasses I had were affecting my Surger pints, I ordered the old style original proper pint glasses which arrived today.

After testing them I can say it improves the Surger pints even more and they are now 187% better than draft cans and 93.5% as good as a pub pint :p:D;)

The double bind phase three peer reviewed clinical trials have confirmed this.

546839.jpg

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    So further down the rabbit hole I went.

Just in case the new style Guinness glasses I had were affecting my Surger pints, I ordered the old style original proper pint glasses which arrived today.

After testing them I can say it improves the Surger pints even more and they are now 187% better than draft cans and 93.5% as good as a pub pint :p:D;)

The double bind phase three peer reviewed clinical trials have confirmed this.

546839.jpg

Got myself a few Pint glasses from Lidl and am also impressed . Chilled the glasses for 5 minutes before pouring and the creamy head lasted half an hour . Was trying to drink responsibly ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I have an original surger unit In a press at home from years ago. Used to get cans from the uk,but then I couldn’t get them anymore. I’d lick the Guinness stains off that unit at this stage, where are ye buying the cans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

XsApollo wrote:
    ... where are ye buying the cans?

Check out one of the first few pages in this thread, I believe Kyle can point you in the right direction ;)

XsApollo wrote: »
    I have an original surger unit In a press at home from years ago. Used to get cans from the uk,but then I couldn’t get them anymore. I’d lick the Guinness stains off that unit at this stage, where are ye buying the cans?

Check out Book A Bar on facebook or Kyle on this thread . If your close to the Border theres an Offie in Jonesboro with pallet loads .

It's a farce that the stuff is brewed down here yet this is only available up north.

I could understand that they could have had a particular viewpoint up to 2019, but things have changed so much since last year, it would be fairly criminal if they haven't plans in place to either push this or similar for the home market.

The latest ad on the TV is about the cans so here's hoping it's a clue to the direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,768 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's not canned in ROI. Then again, neither are any of the other Guinness cans!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

scholes wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Guinness that comes in the Keg is carbonated or is it just flat.
    AFAIK it's the same gas mix in the kegs.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

It's a farce that the stuff is brewed down here yet this is only available up north.

I could understand that they could have had a particular viewpoint up to 2019, but things have changed so much since last year, it would be fairly criminal if they haven't plans in place to either push this or similar for the home market.

The latest ad on the TV is about the cans so here's hoping it's a clue to the direction.

Seemingly, the vintners assoc objected to them originally so that's why the don't see them here. Like you said, things have changed so hopefully that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭POBox19

Dose anybody know where one would get a ultrasonic cleaner / jewellery cleaner in Dublin, the lidls in and around my area are sold out.

I just ordered one on AliExpress for 13€ from France, due in a couple of weeks. They call them Beer Foamers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

POBox19 wrote: »
    I just ordered one on AliExpress for 16$ from France, due in a couple of weeks. They call them Beer Foamers.

Anyone purchased on on Amazon and have a link?

Ya man Crossy from FM104 has some of the special cans from somewhere and has a video on his Instagram page.

Advertisement