Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Anyone purchased on on Amazon and have a link?

Ya man Crossy from FM104 has some of the special cans from somewhere and has a video on his Instagram page.
    This is the one I got fast shipping.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055876680.html
    I find it better than the 'flat' plate shaped one I also got. That isn't ultra sonic (the one linked is).

EDITED
    The Ultrasonic Cleaners on Amazon - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/ultrasonic%20cleaner
    and the Foamer - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/beer%20foamer

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭scholes

BeerNut wrote: »
    AFAIK it's the same gas mix in the kegs.

Thanks. Was thinking it was

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Suckit wrote: »
    This is the one I got fast shipping.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055876680.html
    I find it better than the 'flat' plate shaped one I also got. That isn't ultra sonic (the one linked is)

I have just pulled the trigger on this and I see an off licence 20 minutes away is selling cans so time to stock up!

I’m the other way around, got the cleaner in Lidl but cans can’t be got.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I’m the other way around, got the cleaner in Lidl but cans can’t be got.

They're up the north.

You can use normal cans if you prick them to release the pressure while not activating the widget then spoon off any head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Invincible wrote: »
    North Dublin suit you?

Pm sent.

Some bought the ultrasonic jewellery cleaner in Lidl or Amazon, about 5 seconds activation.

any chance of a pm?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Invincible

zweton wrote: »
    any chance of a pm?

Sent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Invincible

zweton wrote: »
    any chance of a pm?

Space in inbox now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,322 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a farce that the stuff is brewed down here yet this is only available up north.

I could understand that they could have had a particular viewpoint up to 2019, but things have changed so much since last year, it would be fairly criminal if they haven't plans in place to either push this or similar for the home market.

Theirs was a much smaller market here with Irish pubs actually about to pour decent Guinness.

Obviously 2020 changed things. But I people are only recently looking at things. I can see them bringing them back out officially soon. Probably need to manufacture more units.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mellor wrote: »
    I can see them bringing them back out officially soon. Probably need to manufacture more units.
    I doubt Diageo will be willing to risk giving up the extra margin they make on a draught pint of Guinness versus canned, and they're not going to want to damage the symbiotic relationship they have with the pubs which makes it possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

I doubt Diageo will be willing to risk giving up the extra margin they make on a draught pint of Guinness versus canned, and they're not going to want to damage the symbiotic relationship they have with the pubs which makes it possible.

Yep, whether it is right or wrong, most Guinness drinkers believe that a pint pulled in a pub is a different species to what they can drink at home. And Guinness earn significantly more for those people continuing to believe this.

Do they make an extra margin on pints/kegs?
    I've no idea what pubs are paying for kegs. Nor shops for cans for that matter. But I assume the kegs were cheaper from Guinness as they are cheaper on the retail market. But maybe the keg retail price is close to the price the pubs are paying.

I assume the kegs were cheaper from Guinness as they are cheaper on the retail market.
    A quick-and-dirty search on Musgraves shows a 50L keg of Guinness for €171.50 (€3.26/L), and 24 500ml cans for €28 (€2.33/L). Add in the cost of packaging for cans (which has to be done in the UK) and I'd say there's a sizeable margin on kegs, even allowing for the sales support pubs get.

Bottom line is, if your customers are raking it in because they exist in a market largely free of competition, you ought to be getting a piece of that when you supply them. The pint-drinker will cover the cost, and shows no sign of price sensitivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I know they're not available here (surger cans), but the equivalent price in the north is between €3 / L and €4 / L depending if they're €40 or €50 a slab.

A quick-and-dirty search on Musgraves shows a 50L keg of Guinness for €171.50 (€3.26/L), and 24 500ml cans for €28 (€2.33/L). Add in the cost of packaging for cans (which has to be done in the UK)
    I’d assume that prices includes the “cost” of the keg. Pubs would have that discounted as they return empty ones. Add in the cost to clean there I suppose.
    Feels like it’s pretty close wherever it falls.
    Bottom line is, if your customers are raking it in because they exist in a market largely free of competition, you ought to be getting a piece of that when you supply them. The pint-drinker will cover the cost, and shows no sign of price sensitivity.
    They’re definitely entitled to a slice of the trade they bring to pubs. But I just think that if they invent a home can system that was genuinely on par with the pub. They could easily stick 25c on the can or whatever was needed so that they made the same whether you drink it in the pub or at home.

I just think that if they invent a home can system that was genuinely on par with the pub. They could easily stick 25c on the can or whatever was needed so that they made the same whether you drink it in the pub or at home.
    But it's at the potential cost of alienating their best customers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

But it's at the potential cost of alienating their best customers.

True but isn't off site consumption growing at the expense of on site consumption even before COVID?

People are entertaining more and more at home, COVID is likely to change people's habits when this is all over.

Pubs will never die obviously but in home has to be a segment they are looking at. The pubs might not like it but the brewers want their product consumed...wherever that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Nothing confirmed but I’ve reason to believe these may be available in traditional retail within ROI soon...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I know they're not available here (surger cans), but the equivalent price in the north is between €3 / L and €4 / L depending if they're €40 or €50 a slab.

£50 is about €58. Is about €2.40 a can.
    I managed to get some but paid well over the odd for them but the are definitely worth it at that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Owh do tell. And how soon is soon ;)

• Advertisement

The sooner they're released by Guinness the better. Some places are charging crazy prices.
    They're available on https://clickadrink.ie/product/guinness-surger-can-single-520ml-can/ for €3.20 per can.

When you factor in shipping, it comes to €3.50 per can, if ordering a slab.
    Seems way OTT imo.

The sooner they're released by Guinness the better. Some places are charging crazy prices.
    They're available on https://clickadrink.ie/product/guinness-surger-can-single-520ml-can/ for €3.20 per can.

When you factor in shipping, it comes to €3.50 per can, if ordering a slab.
    Seems way OTT imo.

I can get them for €2.46 a can but i will be collecting them myself.

Hopefully Guinness will get the finger out and we can get them easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,776 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Philips Sonicares are ultrasonic come to think of it - that just looks like an oscillating one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Shouldn't this be in the Coronavirus forum? I've unfollowed the general Coronavirus thread and now following this instead.

Tazz T wrote: »
    Shouldn't this be in the Coronavirus forum? I've unfollowed the general Coronavirus thread and now following this instead.

Which will you get first the vaccine or the cans ? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

celt262 wrote: »

The cans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

celt262 wrote: »

Whatever is available first.

Maybe the ones from the UK will throw in a free batch of Astra with every slab bought.

Seeing as theres one place in the south selling the cans, I've bit the bullet on a Ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon.De.

Sure the cans are dear, but a proper pint is still a few months away. I'll just ration some cans into the rotation along with the normal cans and get longer out of them.

Will hopefully get to try one Friday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

Got my ultrasonic cleaner from Amazon.es yesterday- this one.

Fits a regular old-fashioned pint class, 500ml old-fashioned glass, and a newer gravity glass (540ml) bought from Lidl. It's a model that an Instragram page person has used. I'm going to try it with normal cans on Friday- that page have a few posts on how you can use a normal can without activating the widget.

I probably need my head checked, but it's only forty euro or so for the jewellery cleaner and sure what else is there to be doing.

Advertisement