Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

Placed an order on the clickanddrink site above.

Received another email a while after saying:
    "We have received your back order for Guinness Surger cans on our website Clickadrink.ie, we are just letting you know that we have been updated by our supplier that we should expect our next delivery by the 12th April. Your order is on the back order file for this stock and will be despatched as soon as we get the product".

They had them listed as being in stock.
    Secondly if they dont have any, why not send someone up north in a van, they're getting a good price for them as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

Placed an order on the clickanddrink site above.

Received another email a while after saying:
    "We have received your back order for Guinness Surger cans on our website Clickadrink.ie, we are just letting you know that we have been updated by our supplier that we should expect our next delivery by the 12th April. Your order is on the back order file for this stock and will be despatched as soon as we get the product".

They had them listed as being in stock.
    Secondly if they dont have any, why not send someone up north in a van, they're getting a good price for them as it is.

At nearly 80 quid for a slab before delivery they can f**k right off. Would pay you to put diesel in the car yourself and venture North.

At nearly 80 quid for a slab before delivery they can f**k right off. Would pay you to put diesel in the car yourself and venture North.

Its grand for those around Dublin, it's only an hour(or someone willing to do a run is easier to find due to proximity).
    For those of us nearly three hours away, its too much of a commitment and would take the guts of a day off to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Its grand for those around Dublin, it's only an hour(or someone willing to do a run is easier to find due to proximity).
    For those of us nearly three hours away, its too much of a commitment and would take the guts of a day off to do it.
    I have a friend who works in Diageo, he's not close to any senior position, He was part time until 2019. He has been looking for the cans and he says that there are rumours rife within the walls he works that they are coming here soon. Maybe around €55 per case through legit stores when it does. :eek:

He doesn't know if there will be a surger unit on sale, but it would make more sense that there would be.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Would be stupid not to sell a surger unit, they can make a few quid off it and if branded nicely, they can have something that will sit in someone's kitchen as a permanent advertisement for their beer. There's very few brands in the world could even dream of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

irish_goat wrote: »
    they can have something that will sit in someone's kitchen as a permanent advertisement for their beer. There's very few brands in the world could even dream of that.

At least since the end of it being acceptable to give out branded ashtrays. Fairly sure the one my parents have on the garden table for is still a now rather UV damaged Tennants one from the 1980s.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

L1011 wrote: »
    At least since the end of it being acceptable to give out branded ashtrays.
    Doesn't everyone have at least one stolen Guinness pint glass? Everyone apart from me, obviously ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BeerNut wrote: »
    Doesn't everyone have at least one stolen Guinness pint glass? Everyone apart from me, obviously ;)

A stolen Guinness pint glass (from Browns Barn, RIP) was left in my house by a mate who was working for the same company as me, when we shared a taxi back from the Christmas party and he was busting to use the jacks. Sculled the remaining, presumably very warm pint, and left the glass on the cistern.

So I have one, but I'm only handling stolen goods rather than the thief :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Video doing the rounds of an auld lad using a cheap aul electric toothbrush into the glass to activate it and it worked a treat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Video doing the rounds of an auld lad using a cheap aul electric toothbrush into the glass to activate it and it worked a treat.

Featured here a few posts back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

irish_goat wrote: »
    Featured here a few posts back.

Ah my bad, twitter blocked here at work so didn't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

They don't last long. Why on earth do they make beer receptacles from such a breakable material?

Just get one of these. There are probably Guinness-branded ones.
    5f9ac0e94a0a5a16f75a34af-large.jpg

What’s in the surger can that makes this work anyway? Like why can’t you throw poured can of smithwicks in the jewellery cleaner and do the same thing with it?

What’s in the surger can that makes this work anyway?
    Nitrogen, dissolved in the beer. When you dissolve carbon dioxide in beer, it will come out of solution once the pressure is released -- that's what fizz is: the CO2 moving from a place of high concentration (the beer) to a place of low concentration (the air).

But if you use nitrogen instead, air is already mostly nitrogen, so it's not going to move anywhere when the pressure is released. It needs to be agitated in order to get it to move. The restrictor plate on a nitro draught tap, the widget in a can, the hard pour, and the ultrasonic surger are all ways of shaking up the beer to encourage the nitrogen out of solution.

Nitrogen, dissolved in the beer. When you dissolve carbon dioxide in beer, it will come out of solution once the pressure is released -- that's what fizz is: the CO2 moving from a place of high concentration (the beer) to a place of low concentration (the air).

But if you use nitrogen instead, air is already mostly nitrogen, so it's not going to move anywhere when the pressure is released. It needs to be agitated in order to get it to move. The restrictor plate on a nitro draught tap, the widget in a can, the hard pour, and the ultrasonic surger are all ways of shaking up the beer to encourage the nitrogen out of solution.

Would it have resurrected my Hope nitro that had no head on it? Wish I’d tried it now.

No idea. If there wasn't enough nitrogen in it in the first place, no amount of ultrasonic agitation will make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The hope nitro I had poured a little better than say a xxxx Porterhouse (which is full of life), so i'd imagine the surger unit would help.
    I have a can of hope left and may try it at the weekend.

So, the ultrasonic cleaner I ordered off an Irish website actually came from China and is a heap of ****e...
    It made no difference to a Guinness or the hope nitro.

Rather than have a wasted beer, I tried the toothbrush like the auld fella in the video.
    It worked perfectly with both!

Back to the drawing board for a unit now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

So, the ultrasonic cleaner I ordered off an Irish website actually came from China and is a heap of ****e...
    It made no difference to a Guinness or the hope nitro.

Rather than have a wasted beer, I tried the toothbrush like the auld fella in the video.
    It worked perfectly with both!

Back to the drawing board for a unit now...

Did you put the water in the cleaner...? Have read a few people forgetting to do it.

• Advertisement

Did you put the water in the cleaner...? Have read a few people forgetting to do it.

Yea, I followed the instructions in the videos alright.
    It may have been damaged in transit. Small bit of a rattle inside it.

It was off Fruggo, not sure what they're like for returns.

Very disappointed..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Very disappointed..

I think it has to vibrate at a certain minimum frequency to work. Something like 42 KHz or above.

I don't think those beer foamers work with the Guinness cans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

Suckit wrote: »
    This is the one I got fast shipping.
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33055876680.html

EDITED
    The Ultrasonic Cleaners on Amazon - https://www.hagglezon.com/en/s/ultrasonic%20cleaner[/url

How long did it take to get to you?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    I think it has to vibrate at a certain minimum frequency to work. Something like 42 KHz or above.

I don't think those beer foamers work with the Guinness cans.

Mine is 40khz, maybe that's why.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

celt262 wrote: »
    How long did it take to get to you?
    I think less than 2 weeks. Can't remember exactly, but it was quick.

EDIT - Ordered late Monday night arrived the next week Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

BigAl81 wrote: »

I hope not, currently waiting on unit from amazon that's 40KHz.. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Humm, 40khz should be close enough I'd have thought? I'm no expert tho and just saw it on a YouTube comment somewhere that 42 plus was the number to aim for.

Yea, i'd have thought it'd do the job too.
    It does vibrate, but doesn't agitate the beer even 1%.

It's possible mine is a dud. I plan to return it, and have ordered a 43 Khz one from GB, and it's due here on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 devlad

Think I got the same one from Fruggo. Is it the blue one, mine wasn't the one i ordered so hopefully they will refund me.

• Advertisement

I ordered
    145834329-max.jpg

This arrived
    USC.jpg

Advertisement