Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness Surger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭celt262

I ordered
    145834329-max.jpg

This arrived
    USC.jpg

Looks like a baby bottle sterliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 devlad

celt262 wrote: »
    Looks like a baby bottle sterliser.

Thats the same as me, €30 but reluctant to buy another

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I ordered
    145834329-max.jpg

This arrived
    USC.jpg
    devlad wrote: »
    Thats the same as me, €30 but reluctant to buy another
    Surely they have refund policy? Do Fruugo use paypal?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Mate of mine is engaged to a girl in Belfast but works in Dublin Monday to Friday. Was going to start bringing trays of this down with him.
    Is there still much interest in them here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

mfceiling wrote: »
    The Gardaí would deffo be interested. Revenue too, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

BeerNut wrote: »

I'd say the gardaí wouldn't give the slightest **** to be honest with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭SteM

They might if they're Guinness drinkers.

So Clickadrink have actually increased the price of the Surger cans.

An increase in price despite the fact they don't have any stock, or will for a few weeks.

I won't be buying at €3.60 anyway so will have to source an alternative angle.... I suppose when we get back to normal I could go up north for a night/weekend instead of picking somewhere south and stock up heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭MarkN

Not sure where you're based obviously but an overnight may not be necessary, it's 10 mins over the border. ;)

• Advertisement

It would be nothing to do with them, customs maybe but I don't think there are any restrictions on north/south goods.

Guards don't care about excise and certainly for personal use there won't be any issue.

https://home.kpmg/ie/en/home/insights/2020/12/brexit-vat-and-customs.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

MarkN wrote: »
    certainly for personal use there won't be any issue.
    I didn't infer "personal use" from mfceiling's query about continued interest.

"trays" is very vague to be fair. Could mean 5. It still won't be of any relevance to the guards. You're more likely to get hassle over the 5k without a valid reason & letter.

Moving on ....Still waiting on my surger hooe to have it by Easter.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mgray

mgray wrote: »
    I hope not, currently waiting on unit from amazon that's 40KHz.. 😬

Arrived on Friday and can confirm 40KHz is enough. Don't have any surger cans yet but tested with a few regular cans and worked fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

So i've just written off the Fruugo one.
    It cost me €30 delivered. The cheapest price to return it was €16.
    I read that refunds can be difficult to get, and i didn't want to lose any more money to them. Lesson learned there..

I ordered this below last Thursday, and it arrived Saturday afternoon.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B08LQHKRMP/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A friend was in Belfast with work on Friday, so i asked him to pick me up a slab of surger cans, so by Saturday evening i was good to go!

I had 3 surger cans and they were somehow different to the regular widget can. The head had a much lighter feel to it and was 'creamier'.
    I said i'd try a widget can then, to see if i could tell the difference, now that I had a few in me, maybe my taste buds wouldn't notice.
    There was a noticeable difference. The head was much firmer. The beer itself seemed to have a more watery feel to it vs the surger can.
    I can't explain the reason why this was. The widget can was grand, but the surger was a level above for sure.

Yesterday evening i had 2 cans, a widget can follow by a surger.
    For the widget can i followed the online video where you let the gas out of the can without cracking the seal, then pour it and put it in the ultrasonic cleaner.
    It worked a treat and definitely had a better mouthfeel vs had i just poured a widget can normally.
    I couldn't say i noticed a taste difference vs a regular can like another poster mentioned though.

I then had the 2nd can which was a surger, and like the previous night the difference was noticeable. If I wasn't working today, I may well have had a couple more!

I would buy the surger cans if they became available in ROI

I have to admit that on Saturday, between mid pint 2 and the end of pint 3, I was thinking they were grand and looked great etc, but didn't taste of a whole lot.
    I then remembered that i had thought the same, the few times i got pints delivered from a local bar.
    That's most likely down to my taste buds, as i mostly drink craft stouts that have more complex flavours etc, but if Guinness is all you drink, or is your go to beer, then this really is imo worth it.

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-29-at-12-00-31.jpg

Whats-App-Image-2021-03-29-at-12-00-31-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭frankled

My first go at this was over the weekend too- using regular cans and the ultrasonic cleaner bought from Amazon.es.

I felt the difference of between a surged regular can and a can poured 'normally' is minimal- the head was creamier- but not by much. However, I will say that I tend to pour by plonking the can into the glass and withdrawing the can relatively quickly- doing this seems to help with the surge effect. So maybe that's why I can't notice the difference too much.

One thing that helps from an aesthetic point of view is to spoon off some of the 'head' as per this Instagram post- if you're bothered of course. But I haven't managed to achieve this level of creaminess/shtick. But I'll keep trying, in the name of science, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CandyButcher

Can anyone tell me if its worth it for the taste difference???? Not ascetics

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Mate of mine is engaged to a girl in Belfast but works in Dublin Monday to Friday. Was going to start bringing trays of this down with him.

Id take a few trays alri

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

have the lidl ultrasonic cleaner from a few weeks ago. with the surger cans they taste a million times better than regular cans.

Pub pints>surger cans surged>regular cans surged>regular cans

ive been surging the surger cans for about 5 seconds max.

for regular cans, ill normally crack the can slightly and leave in fridge for about 30 minutes, any less and they still have too much of a head.

one thing i have noticed, sometimes a surger can doesnt surge, one of my cans from the als 24 just wouldnt surge. it looked like a regular can when poured also, was weird.

have seen it happen with the odd regular can surged also.

one last thing, the electronic guinness dispenser that was doing the rounds a while back (https://www.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/jopbss/guinness_can_dispenser_any_info/) is apaprently going to be released in 2021...whether or not thats to joe public remains to be seen. .deffo interested, esepcially a the 400euro price range i heard.

Thanks!

Dont suppose any lidl still have these in stock ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Thanks!

Dont suppose any lidl still have these in stock ?

i know my local one in swords, i got the last one. that was about a month ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

BeerNut wrote: »

Ah he wasn't going to be like the beer baron tbh!!

He rang a few work mates and a few family members and got an order of 20 slabs. He was telling me the lad in the off licence says they're flying off the shelves!!

I got my unit from Amazon.DE today.

No idea when I'll get my order from clickadrink since they have no stock, I'll take the 12th April with a pinch of salt if they're listing stock and dont have any.

So I decided to Google this morning to see was there anywhere else in the south which had stock.

I stumbled across a DoneDeal post from yesterday of someone selling crates for e80 in Galway.
    He's charging e20 to deliver so its probably more for someone who can pick up.

I paid clickadrink e96 for 28 delivered and they increased the price again since so he's a bit cheaper.

Might be worth a look for anyone around Galway, he set up a Instgram page(GalwaySurger maybe) but a Google search will bring up the DoneDeal post which had the IG.

I'm due to pick up a crate so I'll report back later on my first impressions all going well.

Theres a good e30 a crate that could be made off these for anyone who can get up and down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,059 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

it's a pity Ann Sommers closed.
    Would one of these work?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I stumbled across a DoneDeal post from yesterday of someone selling crates for e80 in Galway.
    He's charging e20 to deliver so its probably more for someone who can pick up.

I could be wrong but that doesn't sound like a legitimate, licensed alcohol vendor.
    If so, it's a bit silly to be advertising your illegal booze business on Done Deal, no?

Confused.

First can... I open and as I'm pouring the stuff is already surging and a nitro head was forming.

I put the unit on but knew it was pointless as the stuff was already surged by the time I finished pouring.
    So it didnt do anything.

Anyone see this happen or know why?.. I did have it in the freezer for an hour from room temp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Yeah, they won't work out of freezer-they freeze very quickly! Just put them in fridge for as long as possible.

Advertisement