Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

dublin49 wrote: »
    I saw a list recently of the top 20 earners in peleton and Sam wasnt on it and Vivani was.Could this be correct or do they just not know what hes on?

Riders usually get paid well only after having big results which is why there is a pattern of riders smashing it at the frugal DQS then leaving for the money only to flop

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Viviani and Gavaria look even worse. One hasn't won a race since 2019 the other a credible one since the 2019 Giro. Morkov finished 8th ahead of Vivani today in 8th place despite having sat up to celebrate before Sam even crossed the line.

EDIT: If Sam doesn't re-sign with DQS he should retire because life after them as a sprinter doesn't look good.
    Notwithstanding no sprinter gets better results after leaving DQS, in fairness both have had health issues - Gaviria got Covid twice last year, and Viviani heart problems (on top of not even being able to train on his balcony at one point last year).

Definitely seems to be a choice of DQS and Morkov and winning, or big bucks. But I guess they're professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Following on from yesterdays mens race, the OXYCLEAN CLASSIC WOMENS BRUGGE-DE PANNE is on at the moment. The new Plantur-Pura team comprised of cyclo-cross World Champions Carmen Alvarado and Sanne Cant along with Yara Kastelijn and Inge van der Heijden is taking part. Also part of this team for a limited road season are Mannon Bakker, Aniek van Alphen and Annemarie Worst - quite a team and a combination of CX adversaries put together by the Roodhoft brothers who run MvDP's Alpecin-Fenix team (as well as most of world cyclocross....). It will be interesting to see how they do on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 13,419 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

17 km remaining in Stage 4 of the Tour de Catalunya.
    Leonard Kamna is out front but he's being caught at a rate of knots.
    The peloton is starting to get whittled down... Froome, Soler and Hirschi all dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Carlton is pure Alan Partridge

• Advertisement

Looks like Dan Martin has been dropped. I seen Michael Woods but no Martin.

Looks like Dan Martin has been dropped. I seen Michael Woods but no Martin.

Yeah Dan was dropped a while ago. I presume he is still recovering from that illness he had a few weeks ago. If he had good fitness and form you would expect him to still be in that group.

Good attack from Chaves... as opposed to the attempt from Kruijswijk :pac:

Cycling teams winning two different races in the same day seems to be a quite common occurrence at the moment! It happened for both Jumbo-Visma and DQS at Paris-Nice/Tirreno Adriatico a few weeks ago, and then Trek did it last weekend. Now Bike Exchange have done it today with Chaves in Catalunya and Grace Brown at Brugge-De Panne!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Ineos filling out the podium in Catalunya
    1. Yates
    2. Porte
    3. Thomas

• Advertisement

Genuinely delighted to see how Chavez is riding this week. Hard man not to like.

I see Archbold finished in second place in Italy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,150 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ineos filling out the podium in Catalunya
    1. Yates
    2. Porte
    3. Thomas

A good way to deflect attention away from the huge doping scandal hanging over them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

De Bhál wrote: »
    Carlton is pure Alan Partridge

Watched the last 10k with my daughter today. “Why is he always laughing at his own cringe?! Is he embarrassed”

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Dodge wrote: »
    Watched the last 10k with my daughter today. “Why is he always laughing at his own cringe?! Is he embarrassed”

:)
    He's getting worse nowadays. He'll make a sure-fire point about something, be corrected by Brian Smith, then insist that is what he meant all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Someone please find me the clip of Brian Smith snapping at Carlton live on commentary from a few years ago, it appears to have been removed from youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

velo.2010 wrote: »
    He's getting worse nowadays. He'll make a sure-fire point about something, be corrected by Brian Smith, then insist that is what he meant all along.

After listening to Rob Hatch climb up his own hole on a crusade of righteousness last year, I'd gladly put up with Carlton's waffling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

On a related note, has anyone been able to select Ambient Sound only on the app? I tick it but still seem to get the English commentary - I can't stand them.

Seven Worlds will Collide

On a related note, has anyone been able to select Ambient Sound only on the app? I tick it but still seem to get the English commentary - I can't stand them.
    If you have the regular ES subscription, then you can go to eurosport.co.uk for ad-free and commentary free live coverage.

If you have the regular ES subscription, then you can go to eurosport.co.uk for ad-free and commentary free live coverage.

I tried that but it wouldn't cast for me for some reason, just got a blue cast symbol on the TV.

I tried that but it wouldn't cast for me for some reason, just got a blue cast symbol on the TV.
    Ah ok, I usually just watch on the laptop or phone. I gave up on the ES player because of the constant buffering.

• Advertisement

Ah ok, I usually just watch on the laptop or phone. I gave up on the ES player because of the constant buffering.

I know what you mean, last Saturday for MSR near the end the player was at 39Km to go but ES 1 was 25 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I should say I don’t mind Kirby. He makes mistakes but he’s enthusiastic and seems to be having fun himself.

Hatch can grate as he makes everything out to be the biggest and best ever but again, I usually don’t mind him

Looking at the tracker for spain here , 4 man break then 50 seconds back a group of 40 with no Ineos riders :D

EDIT: Looking at the times there isn't anyone in the group of 40 too close on GC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Remi Cavagna going balls out in Catalunya, I love the madness of some of his long range attempts so would love to see one of them come off.

Racing in belgium is great

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Love the way he gambles in races, think today is his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Racing in belgium is great

Don't have it on ES so only following text commentary, sounds pretty damn good alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

It’s been full gas now for near 50km, unreal stuff.

dahat wrote: »
    Love the way he gambles in races, think today is his day.

Didn't it work for him at la vuelta two years ago, Sam went for a sprint but wasn't sure if he'd been caught yet or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Terpestra's attack there looked like something from a club league race - looked good for about 8 seconds

Advertisement