Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

happytramp wrote: »
    He couldn't keep anything down, not sure what they could have done.
    Once he puked, he might have been able to keep a drink mix down. Would've tried I'm sure. Anyway, a bit of schoolboy mistake to try something new on race day. But great for the future that he was at the front all day and got over the Kemmelberg with WvA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Not sure where this best sits but I really enjoyed this read about the MVDP - WVA rivalry.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/mathieu-van-der-poel-and-wout-van-aert-the-anatomy-of-a-rivalry/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Van der Poel is the spit of his grandfather

3RJmoyq5N9Zdxs48ARAk88-970-80.jpg.webp

800px-Raymond_Poulidor%2C_Tour_de_France_1966_%28cropped%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I reckon van Baarle is probably going to hang on and win this

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Dry, warm, dusty in Flanders today.
    Sorry to bring it up again but Kirby is up to his usual silliness on comms: keeps calling the race the 'Dwar Door' for some reason; mixed up Kortekeer and the climb after it, calling the Steenbeekdries the 'steinberg' and allegedly the race is climbing the Knokteberg 3 times (it isn't); and we haven't yet hit the Kruisberg, which is NOT the same as the earlier Kluisberg.... all of this is written in the roadbook and on the live feed, he just doesn't seem to read it. I'm half expecting 'Darwin Atapuma' to go on the attack...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I reckon van Baarle is probably going to hang on and win this

Incredible stuff from Van Baarle.

edit..MVDP :eek:

Initially the thought of van Baarle winning this was a bit of a surprise... but when you look at some of his best results over the years in cobbled classics & semi-classics then it's not really a shock at all.

E3 - 7th (2021), 9th (2017)
    Gent-Wevelgem - 8th (2021)
    Dwars door Vlaanderen - 3rd (2015), 8th (2017)
    De Ronde - 4th (2017), 6th (2016), 8th (2020), 12th (2018)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I got a good laugh when the girl reading the RTÉ sports on radio 1 tried to say Dwars door Vlaanderen

bazermc wrote: »
    I got a good laugh when the girl reading the RTÉ sports on radio 1 tried to say Dwars door Vlaanderen

I'm amazed that news of the race was even mentioned on RTE! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

What are people’s expectations for racing to resume here in Ireland for us non elite folk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/paris-roubaix-postponed-to-october-due-to-covid-19-pandemic-in-france/

Paris-Roubaix is postponed until October, hopefully not a portend for the rest of the early season.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,163 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    What are people’s expectations for racing to resume here in Ireland for us non elite folk?

"Non elite folk" sounds like a genre of country music

Some early shenanigans in flanders, the astana and alpecin riders both disqualified for this

https://mobile.twitter.com/sporza_koers/status/1378632510813437952

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

retalivity wrote: »
    Some early shenanigans in flanders, the astana and alpecin riders both disqualified for this

https://mobile.twitter.com/sporza_koers/status/1378632510813437952

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/fedorov-and-vergaerde-disqualified-from-tour-of-flanders-for-dangerous-riding/
    Yevgeniy Fedorov (Astana-Premier Tech) and Otto Vergaerde (Alpecin Fenix) have both been disqualified from the Tour of Flanders after the pair clashed with 240km to go in the race.

The incident happened at the front of the peloton with Federov pulling on his brakes while riding at speed at the head of the bunch. The Astana-Premier Tech rider appeared to be trying to attack from the peloton after an early break had already formed.

Vergaerde was on the Astana rider's wheel at the time and almost rode into the back of Fedorov after the Astana rider became frustrated with not being allowed to ride clear. Vergaerde then retaliated by coming alongside Fedorov and shoulder barging into his right-hand side. Fedorov then tried to follow and appeared to attempt a similar move, although he made no contact.

Was funny when they were told the aplacine rider had some back and forth with the astana Ds.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Ryan Mullen abandoned early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Who is yer man with the full green Bora kit. The rest of the Bora lads have mainly white on top

bazermc wrote: »
    Who is yer man with the full green Bora kit. The rest of the Bora lads have mainly white on top

Its the Bora rain/cold gear.

Ah thats rough for Schar. Man had no luck with his bikes today and then DQ'd for throwing a bottle to fans, and he knew it when it he did from the looks of his reaction right after he did it.

• Advertisement

Quick-Step upping the pace on the front now

Big crash, people all over the road.

Anyone else getting a lot of buffering from the app and chromecast?

Nope, streaming to my laptop and no issues.

My end so , best I get stuff restarted before it kicks off.

MVDP & Van Aert too busy looking at each other and let Alaphillipe up the road

The Eurosport app is always crap for me on Chromecast.

I gave up and went for the laptop

Alaphilllipe, MVDP & WVA in the front 6 now, this is great racing

Carlton is really annoying me today. Even more than usual

• Advertisement

Good for Turgis getting over there. Love to see him go well here.

Edit think I cursed him there

Advertisement