Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

budgie001 wrote: »
    A little shocked at the abuse here. I haven’t criticised , swore , called anyone stupid (a mod ) etc in any of my posts or replies, incl Asgren who rode extremely well. I simply think that that VDPdidnt give it all in the sprint, and perhaps other forces at play in his ear. Can I just think that and speak it? Without the pitchforks out. It’s not like we have this Uber whiter than white sport

No, this is what you said

" feel the top spot sprint stunk to high heaven. The race was soooo bought"

If you said it as you say there, then that's different, but that's not what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭budgie001

Didn’t state it was a fact, merely how it portrays to me, not libellous.

Our sport has a very poor track record and I don’t think the last 300m of this race helped that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

A little shocked at the abuse here. I haven’t criticised , swore , called anyone stupid (a mod ) etc in any of my posts or replies, incl Asgren who rode extremely well. I simply think that that VDPdidnt give it all in the sprint, and perhaps other forces at play in his ear. Can I just think that and speak it? Without the pitchforks out. It’s not like we have this Uber whiter than white sport

You can think and say what you like. But people are saying it’s nonsense.

Sounds like you don’t want to hear people disagree with you...

Ah look, I have a feeling it will come out in the wash, like previous dubious items. I guess too many too good to be true cases in the past which unfortunately have been untrue. I don’t troll etc on here and rarely post. I just felt strongly on this and thought it was pretty non subtle but perhaps not to many. So I’ve finished my comments now. It’s irrelevant anyway afterwards the sour taste is there

My money was on a complete drop out�� must have been the pressure of my 2€ But no booze

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Our sport has a very poor track record and I don’t think the last 300m of this race helped that.

Doesn't have to be stated as a fact. Now drop it. You've been asked and you keep poking.

Drop it for everyone in fact. Line under that nonsense.

Lord it over us if it ever comes out all you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

You're not being abused. I don't have a pitchfork either. I think you deserve to be called out on your conspiracy theory waffle..

As for your comments about 'sprinting' and MVDP not being in the 53x12..... do you sprint much yourself? Not sure any road racer preparing for the jump at the end is sitting in that gear... maybe you have another theory for that to discuss???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You were watching a different race to me if you thought there was anything dodgy about today’s race.

Cycling has a terrible record of doping. Not of fixing races. What a bizarre thing to say.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You're not being abused. I don't have a pitchfork either. I think you deserve to be called out on your conspiracy theory waffle..

As for your comments about 'sprinting' and MVDP not being in the 53x12..... do you sprint much yourself? Not sure any road racer preparing for the jump at the end is sitting in that gear... maybe you have another theory for that to discuss???

It’s funny, I’ve sprinted on the track and the road, but never after 250km. I can’t even imagine how hard that is.

To imply van Der Poel threw it is beyond ridiculous.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

We've the tour of the Basque country this week to look forward too and Scheldeprijs with Sam and a fellow Carrick man on the startlist on Wednesday. If it come to a sprint which it usually does you'd fancy Sam for it, Achermann is there but no form as yet this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Sometimes Irish media not being interested in cycling is a good thing. I wasn't able to watch live yesterday, so I recorded it to watch last night. It was great not having to avoid any spoilers (except avoiding this thread for the day) on the news. Thoroughly enjoyed it last night, all the ups and downs. What a finish too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

the more I watch cycling ,especially the one day classics ,and smaller tours ,the more I reflect on how great it would have been to observe Kelly's career with the same type of coverage.I wonder did the media back then even report his many successes before the 1987 Tour.I was around then and don't remember any major coverage of him.All these great events encourage me to check out the 1980s versions and there is plenty there on youtube and wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The first stage of the Tour of the Basque Country is on live now. The calibre of the field is top class.

Watching the riders ride up the wall at full gas at the end of the TT is quite funny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

The first stage of the Tour of the Basque Country is on live now. The calibre of the field is top class.

Watching the riders ride up the wall at full gas at the end of the TT is quite funny

Podge is last off so Rodge will be sweating in the hot seat for another hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Thought Dan was at this but don see him the startlist.
    Eddie Dunbar is there for Ineos, along with Yates/Carapaz/Tao. Looks like it'll be them vs Pog & Rog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

60-42 chainring .... bloody hell

retalivity wrote: »
    Thought Dan was at this but don see him the startlist.
    Eddie Dunbar is there for Ineos, along with Yates/Carapaz/Tao. Looks like it'll be them vs Pog & Rog

I think it'll be UAE Vs Jumbo judging by the times so far!

I think it'll be UAE Vs Jumbo judging by the times so far!

Actually just saw the UAE team startlist, it is indeed more ridiculous than Ineos.

31 POGACAR Tadej SLO
    32 CONTI Valerio ITA
    33 MCNULTY Brandon USA
    34 ULISSI Diego ITA
    35 HIRSCHI Marc SUI
    36 MAJKA Rafal POL
    37 POLANC Jan SLO

Yates's beard doesn't look very aero.

Roglic looks so bored... but it was his choice to ride so early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Roglic looking bored out of his **** at Basque Country. Sitting there for 2 hours or so, waiting for Pogacar to complete his ride. Not sure of the tactics but can't be great for recovery.

• Advertisement

retalivity wrote: »
    Actually just saw the UAE team startlist, it is indeed more ridiculous than Ineos.

31 POGACAR Tadej SLO
    32 CONTI Valerio ITA
    33 MCNULTY Brandon USA
    34 ULISSI Diego ITA
    35 HIRSCHI Marc SUI
    36 MAJKA Rafal POL
    37 POLANC Jan SLO

Yates's beard doesn't look very aero.

I suppose the bigger the gaps then hopefully the better attacking racing during the week, ridiculously hard looking profiles on most days

Intermediate time point results:
    1. MCNULTY Brandon 7:43
    2. POGAČAR Tadej 7:45
    3. ROGLIČ Primož 7:47

Rog has this

Pog lost a heap of time on the descent

It's going to be a very interesting race.

1. Roglic
    5. Pogacar +0'28"
    6. Adam Yates +0'28"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Would the tuck ban be affecting cyclists (who would have used it best) on the downhill parts making them look slower now?

deise08 wrote: »
    Would the tuck ban be affecting cyclists (who would have used it best) on the downhill parts making them look slower now?

Not on the TT bikes, doubt it had any effect today

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

dublin49 wrote: »
    the more I watch cycling ,especially the one day classics ,and smaller tours ,the more I reflect on how great it would have been to observe Kelly's career with the same type of coverage.I wonder did the media back then even report his many successes before the 1987 Tour.I was around then and don't remember any major coverage of him.All these great events encourage me to check out the 1980s versions and there is plenty there on youtube and wikipedia.

As an indicator, Kelly won the RTE sports person of the year in 1986. Roche won in 1987 too

Kelly’s successes were definitely well known in Ireland. The Nissan classic stated in 1985 too

Definitely recall the nissan classic being reported on the radio when I was a kid. It was revived years later. What was the reason it fell away, I'm guessing funding ?

Shame as the GC list for the final race in 2009 was something https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/tour-of-ireland/2009

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Dodge wrote: »
    As an indicator, Kelly won the RTE sports person of the year in 1986. Roche won in 1987 too

Kelly’s successes were definitely well known in Ireland. The Nissan classic stated in 1985 too

fair enough,although I would have thought the general impression of the man on the street after 87 was that Roche was the star and Kelly was winning smaller races we knew little about.Little did I know then then that Kelly would today be considered one of the greatest cyclists of all time.I wasnt cycling or that interested back then but would have been immersed in Roche's achievements in 87.

Advertisement