Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Merlier and Kristoff are two minutes down, back in the bunch. Kristoff crashed earlier - don't know about Merlier.

Both involved in the same crash according to text commentary anyway...
    13:41:45 IST
    The second group already appeared to be losing ground on the baker's dozen out in front, and now Tim Merlier and Alexander Kristoff have crashed in this second group. They are quickly back on their bikes, but their chances of seeing the front of the race again are severely diminished.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

So Sam's main competitors (if it comes down to a sprint finish) should be Ackermann, Bol, Nizzolo, & Philipsen. And Van Poppel isn't too bad at sprinting either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Merlier and Kristoff are two minutes down, back in the bunch. Kristoff crashed earlier - don't know about Merlier.

Hadn't seen that. Really like Kristoff! he is a tough fecker.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

So Sam's main competitors (if it comes down to a sprint finish) should be Ackermann, Bol, Nizzolo, & Philipsen. And Van Poppel isn't too bad at sprinting either.

Basically the main contenders before the race too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Surely very few of this front bunch will want this coming to a bunch sprint. Even Bora with five, or a few other sprinters in there, but DQS have a few there who could win it and a perfect train for Sam

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Surely very few of this front bunch will want this coming to a bunch sprint. Even Bora with five, or a few other sprinters in there, but DQS have a few there who could win it and a perfect train for Sam

Very few riders ever would be capable of attacking and winning out of this group in these conditions.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I live up the road from the finish of this race (well, 90km). The weather is much worse than it looks like on TV. It was snowing heavily until lunch time here.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Dodge wrote: »
    Basically the main contenders before the race too

Except for Kristoff, Tim Merlier, and Viviani

Cav is tiny compared to Sam :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

so what's Cavandish's job here - lead out as long as possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

De Bhál wrote: »
    I'd have thought its to keep the other teams guessing and giving DQT a Plan B. I wouldn't see any great value in involving him with a DQT lead-out train that's worked quite well without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Despite the numbers, this is going to be tricky for Sam. Too many lads sitting on here--- I wouldn't rule out a win for Cavendish, unless he fully commits to lead out in the final kms... Bol, Sarreau, Nizzolo all having it relatively easy, if that's possible in these conditions.

To paraphrase a bit: Cheese Boll is the Dangerman among all these Belgiums...

I'd have thought its to keep the other teams guessing and giving DQT a Plan B. I wouldn't see any great value in involving him with a DQT lead-out train that's worked quite well without him.

yeah I was wondering would he go on his own following a different path...could be interesting if he does that and ends up competing against his own team.

Good question. Based on the Oxyclean Classic Brugge-De Panne, the DSQ lead-out will be Senechal, Van Lergberghe, Morkov & Sam. But Senechal is doing a huge chunk of work at the front so I can't see him being there near the end. So will it be Cav at the front, before handing over to Van Lergberghe & Morkov?

yeah I was wondering would he go on his own following a different path...could be interesting if he does that and ends up competing against his own team.

Maybe Bennett is the Plan B! Cav has won this three times before - it might be even better exposure for DQT if he won today than if Sam won.

Maybe Bennett is the Plan B! Cav has won this three times before - it might be even better exposure for DQT if he won today than if Sam won.

well, he is sitting behind Sam at the moment, but no way I can see Quickstep banking on him to win this as bar finishing second recently, he's won nothing of late.

3.5km to go

Looks like Cav's job is to keep other riders off Sam's wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

DQS made a balls of that

Looks like Cav's job is to keep other riders off Sam's wheel

feck it anyway

yeah that was his role alright by the looks of it

• Advertisement

What a c*ck-up

Looks like this evenings forecast is the full hairdryer treatment from Lefevre and Peeters

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Well they made a balls of that lead out. Well timed by Alpecin to block Bennett at his jump off point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭ratracer

retalivity wrote: »
    DQS made a balls of that

Badly caught out on the fence alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Got to love these mental basque roads

Kelderman crashed, colour me surprised :rolleyes:

The man either has the worst luck or the worse bike handling in the pro game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Bennett..."I was doing my own sprint and then Mark was on the wheel to see what result he could do. And if he could come around, he’d come around. I just focused on my own race."

What, so they were effectively racing each other? That's what I read from that statement. He can't be too happy with that set up today.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Bennett..."I was doing my own sprint and then Mark was on the wheel to see what result he could do. And if he could come around, he’d come around. I just focused on my own race."

What, so they were effectively racing each other? That's what I read from that statement. He can't be too happy with that set up today.

doubt he's too worried about Cavandish, and if Cav has the strength to get around him then fair play. Good to have him there for keeping lads off his back wheel though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

velo.2010 wrote: »
    fwiw Cavendish posted yesterday that his first win at the race was when he was given the freedom to ride for himself while Columbia/ HTC worked for Griepel.

I haven't seen the sprint yet, but did it have any impact on Sam? We've been banging on for two years on here that they should put someone on his wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Macy0161 wrote: »
    fwiw Cavendish posted yesterday that his first win at the race was when he was given the freedom to ride for himself while Columbia/ HTC worked for Griepel.

I haven't seen the sprint yet, but did it have any impact on Sam? We've been banging on for two years on here that they should put someone on his wheel.

No. Philipsen got the jump on DQT and Sam couldn’t recover. Cav had no real effect at all I bud sprint

Advertisement