Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

I think Sam should have gone along the barriers and Morkov could have kind of drifted a bit into the middle of the road, Sam ended up getting blocked by Rickaert leading out Philipsen.

Cavendish did a perfect job of sitting on Sams wheel and letting no one on it. Dont think he could have made any difference as a lead out man.

At least that's how it looked from my armchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

Finnrocco wrote: »
    I think Sam should have gone along the barriers and Morkov could have kind of drifted a bit into the middle of the road, Sam ended up getting blocked by Rickaert leading out Philipsen.

Cavendish did a perfect job of sitting on Sams wheel and letting no one on it. Dont think he could have made any difference as a lead out man.

At least that's how it looked from my armchair.

I think you are spot on; road bent to the left and unfortunately Sam should have gone up Morkovs inside, quite likely he would have won. But that's sprinting, split second decisions. Cav did nothing wrong at all and a podium isn't the worst for him. He will win a race some day soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

https://twitter.com/ehitzulia/status/1379742576727756802
    Colombian National Champion Sergio Higuita & Ecuadorian National Champion Jonathan Caicedo - both riding for EF Education at Tour of the Basque Country!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Sam Bennett beaten at Scheldeprijs by cold and Alpecin-Fenix train

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sam-bennett-beaten-by-cold-and-alpecin-fenix-train/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

I’ve watched the finish a couple of times and while Cav didn’t impede Sam in any way he didn’t do anything to help him either. He had a chance to come around Sam’s inside when the lead out rider was slowing and take up the race and instead came back into Sam’s slipstream. Was Sam referring to Cav when he referred to the lead out being one man short?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

griffin100 wrote: »
    I’ve watched the finish a couple of times and while Cav didn’t impede Sam in any way he didn’t do anything to help him either. He had a chance to come around Sam’s inside when the lead out rider was slowing and take up the race and instead came back into Sam’s slipstream. Was Sam referring to Cav when he referred to the lead out being one man short?
    Peeters said in an interview that he did exactly what they wanted of him.

Not sure if that was hang on the wheel and keep others off it, or free role and go for the win.

I'd say it was Senechal that was the man short

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Senechal worked hard in the break. I assumed he meant that they only had 5 in the break (still a big number) instead of their whole team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

TV director in tour of the Basque Country had an absolute nightmare today

Dodge wrote: »
    TV director in tour of the Basque Country had an absolute nightmare today

It was shambolic! :pac:

It used to be woeful a few years ago but it had improved

Tomorrow shouldn't be a GC day, but the final stage on Saturday should be an absolute cracker. Anyone of the top-5 could win it...

1. Brandon McNulty (USA) UAE Team Emirates
    2. Primoz Roglic (Slo) Jumbo-Visma +23"
    3. Jonas Vingegaard (Den) Jumbo-Visma +28"
    4. Pello Bilbao (Spa) Bahrain Victorious +36"
    5. Tadej Pogacar (Slo) UAE Team Emirates +43"

Although I wouldn't rule out Adam Yates either at 1'06". He could go on a long range attack and that would really make things interesting.

• Advertisement

Great to see Chavez up there fighting for a win. Definitely looking to be back to good health again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Really enjoying Chris Horner’s reviews of the Basque Country. He spared no-one on his Stage 4 review including GCN commentators. Fire EVERYONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

hesker wrote: »
    Really enjoying Chris Horner’s reviews of the Basque Country. He spared no-one on his Stage 4 review including GCN commentators. Fire EVERYONE!

Yeah, he spared none of them, did he ! Especially Kirby and Smith. At the same time, Smithy provided a robust defence of his commentary on today's stage. Let's not forget that CH is a bit of a self-publicist too.....

Carlton saying something like keep your hair on before adding that he was also follicly challenged himself was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Yeah, he spared none of them, did he ! Especially Kirby and Smith. At the same time, Smithy provided a robust defence of his commentary on today's stage. Let's not forget that CH is a bit of a self-publicist too.....

Everyone on YouTube is looking for an angle. And a lot of commentators try to play up every situation for dramatic effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Just looking back on that Jacobsen crash last year. Amazing to say that he'll be back cycling in the Turkish race. That was a serious crash. Very lucky to not have been a worse outcome. Is gronewegen still racing?

Gronewegen is on a ban until May I believe. Great that Jakobsen is back it was some list of injuries for sure. Not sure what his role will be but they have a decent team there with him and Turkey normally has a few chances for sprinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Gronewegen is on a ban until May I believe. Great that Jakobsen is back it was some list of injuries for sure. Not sure what his role will be but they have a decent team there with him and Turkey normally has a few chances for sprinters.

Thanks for the reply. Can't see him getting a happy reception on his return.

deise08 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Can't see him getting a happy reception on his return.

I think he got a very unfair doing in online as is the norm these days and look at Bouhanni this week getting all kinds of degusting racist abuse sent to him over the incident with Jake Stewart a few weeks ago. Stewart had to go as far as far as stepping in to call it for what it was and tell those people they were not welcome in cycling despite his grievances with Bouhanni

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Watched the latest Armstrong 2 parter and he was the most honest about all the stuff he got up to and very apologetic at times but cant help feel this is just a new strategy.He bemoaned at the end how a lot of dopers have been reconciled with cycling and are now part of the cycling media fraternity and hes not and I suspect he sees a similiar role for himself.Doubt hes short of a bob but has been sued regularly and with little coming in probably needs a media gig to keep lifestyle rolling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

UAE badly caught in Basque country. I wonder if Pogacar will leave McNulty and try and go on his own on the next climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

dublin49 wrote: »
    Watched the latest Armstrong 2 parter and he was the most honest about all the stuff he got up to and very apologetic at times but cant help feel this is just a new strategy.He bemoaned at the end how a lot of dopers have been reconciled with cycling and are now part of the cycling media fraternity and hes not and I suspect he sees a similiar role for himself.Doubt hes short of a bob but has been sued regularly and with little coming in probably needs a media gig to keep lifestyle rolling.

He was one of the major shareholders in Uber when they started up. He put 100k into them when they were valued at just over 3 million, estimates put him at about 30 million from that investment. I wouldn't think he's living on noodles and toast.

In other news, things warming up nicely in the Basque tour. Roglic's in the break , now only seconds off virtual lead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

For every race for me the commentary is 5-10 seconds ahead of pictures.

Is that the same for everybody ?

Player on laptop.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

For every race for me the commentary is 5-10 seconds ahead of pictures.

Is that the same for everybody ?

Player on laptop.

Fine for me.

Pog off the leash. Fully expect him to catch Rog but at what cost? Could be a ding dong battle up the last climb.

Rog picked up a 3 second bonification at the intermediate sprint a few minutes ago and there's another one after the next climb which he'll probably get as well.

I'm surprised Pog's group is still losing time to Rog's group

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pog looks like hes raging

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

mewso wrote: »
    Fine for me.

Pog off the leash. Fully expect him to catch Rog but at what cost? Could be a ding dong battle up the last climb.

Nah, it's done. He did a shed load of work on the flat after McNulty was initially dropped on the descent. Have to agree with Smith that Pogacar should have been left to race for himself. 'Never again' will probably be uttered by Pog at the end of this stage.

McNulty looked pretty pale last I got a good look at him 10 or 12km ago.

All the riders look fairly wrecked

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Nah, it's done. He did a shed load of work on the flat after McNulty was initially dropped on the descent. Have to agree with Smith that Pogacar should have been left to race for himself. 'Never again' will probably be uttered by Pog at the end of this stage.

Yeah looks over allright. Pity coulda been a great finish otherwise.

Advertisement