Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pidcock and Gilbert down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Pidcock back in the peloton now

11th for Nico in the alps today, don't think I saw him it heard him mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Alex Howes is nothing if not dogged.

It'd be amazing if it didn't finish as a big bunch sprint on the Mur de Huy

• Advertisement

Cmon Lammertink!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

feckin valverde is up there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Jesus what a finish that was!!

Great stuff by Roglic and Alaphillipe!

my legs are hurting after that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Tremendous as always. One of my favourite races of the year.

Watching that thinking keep your hands on the f'n bars this time but he just can't help himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Pogacar will be kicking himself he wasn't there.

I thought Roglic had it but chapeau to Alaphilippe!

There's definitely no curse of the rainbow stripes on the Mur de Huy today anyway! Men's & women's World Champions both win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

retalivity wrote: »
    Great stuff by Roglic and Alaphillipe!

And the 40 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭lissard

Knowing when to jump on the Mur seems to be something you can only learn by experiencing the sheer pain of that climb - no one in the current peloton knows it better than Valverde and Allaphilipe. Think that was the first time Roglic raced Fleche and I'd fancy him to get it right the next time. Class winner though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Pogacar will be kicking himself he wasn't there.

I'm not sure that he (or a trouble-free Pidcock) would have won today - the Mur always seems to prioritise experience over youthful enthusiasm. Since 2010, the mens race has only been won once by a rider under 25 (Hirschi last year) and 7 times by riders over 30. The younger riders usually punch their own lights out by the 200m to go mark.

I seem to recall an article where it mentioned Cadel Evans worked with Aldo Sassi to figure out how to win on the Mur as it wasn't simply a case of dieseling up it quickly with a short gallop at the end.

And once you figure it out , you're golden. I'm not sure I know of any other one day race with so many repeat winners. Between the mens and womens podiums today, the six riders have 15 event wins between them.

Itziger wrote: »
    And the 40 year old?

one for the future to keep an eye on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

I see Froomedog is down in 98th on GC. I thought he said this was the race to see where his form was at?? Bizarre stuff tbh.

• Advertisement

Paddigol wrote: »
    I see Froomedog is down in 98th on GC. I thought he said this was the race to see where his form was at?? Bizarre stuff tbh.

For the three stages so far, he's finished last within his own team. This has been his worst performance since joining ISN.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

For the three stages so far, he's finished last within his own team. This has been his worst performance since joining ISN.

They must be wishing they'd signed Cavendish for free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Froome is going backwards just as he did last year. Check out his GC placings...

2020: 71, 37, 41, 71, 91, 98.

2021: 47, 81, 98.

He doesn't deserve a Tour place on current form, but that contract...

Even if he's there to work for the team he clearly isn't even in shape to be fetching bottles is he? Like others I've little time for him as a rider but not good to see his career play out this way.

Definitely seems to be struggling to come close to even a minimum level needed after the injuries from the crash and that was nearly 2 years ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

11th for Nico in the alps today, don't think I saw him it heard him mentioned.

First in the bunch sprint, he was looking in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Haven't watched the alps yet, turning it on now. What a finish to the lá Fleche race. Would've been happy with either to win.
    Thank you to everyone who take the time to reply to this relative newbies stupid questions.(le Tour popped my cherry so to speak).
    Can I ask how do you stop from getting cycled out?
    I'm watching everything for the first time since last Summer and loving it.
    I just don't want to overload.
    How do you pick what to watch and not watch?
    Is the cycling calendar back to normal now except for the race postponed to October?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

Valverde is 41 this coming Sunday. The new Chris Horner?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

griffin100 wrote: »
    Valverde is 41 this coming Sunday. The new Chris Horner?

Sickened that he denied Woods a podium place. Just retire please.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

deise08 wrote: »
    Haven't watched the alps yet, turning it on now. What a finish to the lá Fleche race. Would've been happy with either to win.
    Thank you to everyone who take the time to reply to this relative newbies stupid questions.(le Tour popped my cherry so to speak).
    Can I ask how do you stop from getting cycled out?
    I'm watching everything for the first time since last Summer and loving it.
    I just don't want to overload.
    How do you pick what to watch and not watch?
    Is the cycling calendar back to normal now except for the race postponed to October?

Most of the big races are on with a few smaller ones cancelled. As for watching the big ones to look for are
    3 Grand tours:Italy, France, Spain
    5 one day monuments, Liege is next on Sunday
    The world championship in September

After that the one day classics Like Fleche today or modern fan favourite Strade Bianci

Also keep an eye on stage races just before the GTs like Alps for Italy or the Dauphine before the Tour for riders form
    Some races and stages you only need to watch the last 10/20km if they are flat and for smaller races cycling is the kind of sport where just reading results can be enough to keep up with things

• Advertisement

Paddigol wrote: »

https://twitter.com/FroomeHas/status/1384833482204094465

Advertisement