Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Dodge wrote: »

Don’t mind Kirby as his worst crime is just to waffle. No real harm.

Blythe and the GCN boys are great. As is Jose Been

Kirby can retire asap. He misses half the action because he's either waffling or laughing at his own jokes. Brian Smith does his best to put some shape on the commentary with Kirby but I swear I can feel his eye-rolling at some of Kirby's antics from here.

José Been and Magnus Backstedt are great, they know their stuff, have genuine insights into the racing and don't talk over each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I bet he wouldn't have been half as fawning in his praise if it was Hindley that Dennis was pulling up the road as he suddenly became the greatest mountain Dom ever

That title still belongs to George Hincapie- "The Eagle of Long Island"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Brilliant from Sam. Morkov came third; he probably would have come second if he hadn't have eased off before the finish.

Wow that was an incredible delivery from Morkov.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Saw the stat yesterday that same had won 6 of the 9 sprints he’s contested so far. So 7/10 now

Today was a cake walk for DQT. I’ve no idea what has happened Bora and Ackerman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Ackerman looks well out of sorts this year and cannot be relied upon in terms of the TDF, Bora have a real issue with him.

It was such a dominant win for Sam, literally just disregarded everyone else and won the sprint as he liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

dahat wrote: »
    Ackerman looks well out of sorts this year and cannot be relied upon in terms of the TDF, Bora have a real issue with him.

It was such a dominant win for Sam, literally just disregarded everyone else and won the sprint as he liked.

Should have backed Sam 2 years ago. Pascal Ackermann might be the best thing to happen to Irish cycling in 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I didn't see the sprint but reading that Ackermann didn't even beat Morkov :eek:

It's amazing to see an Irish rider winning so consistently and being able to have such high expectations of him that he almost always delivers against.

I didn't see the sprint but reading that Ackermann didn't even beat Morkov :eek:

It's amazing to see an Irish rider winning so consistently and being able to have such high expectations of him that he almost always delivers against.

RTE R1 played the sprint commentary on the news tonight for a race as relatively small as Algarve.

If I was driving the car I would have crashed it

breezy1985 wrote: »
    RTE R1 played the sprint commentary on the news tonight for a race as relatively small as Algarve.

If I was driving the car I would have crashed it

Was on the 6-1 news on tv too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dodge wrote: »
    Was on the 6-1 news on tv too

Good to see but likely due to lack of other sports events on a friday

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I'm being selfish here, but crappy that he's becoming popular with Irish news outlets. Before,.you were pretty safe watching bulletins now, you have definitely have to avoid if you haven't seen it but recorded it.

On a different note, and it's probably a very silly question. Would the likes of van der Poel be seen in the TdF? I know Wout was there last year purely from remembering him and demoulin and the time trial.

Or would that be a totally different sport? (brain fart, can't think of the right word.)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Good to see but likely due to lack of other sports events on a friday

Its not the first ever Friday for RTE and they didnt have Friday coverage for Dan, Nico or pre green Sam for a race like Algarve before

deise08 wrote: »
    I'm being selfish here, but crappy that he's becoming popular with Irish news outlets. Before,.you were pretty safe watching bulletins now, you have definitely have to avoid if you haven't seen it but recorded it.

On a different note, and it's probably a very silly question. Would the likes of van der Poel be seen in the TdF? I know Wout was there last year purely from remembering him and demoulin and the time trial.

Or would that be a totally different sport? (brain fart, can't think of the right word.)

Van der Poel is due to ride the Tour this year for the first time. Van Aert will also be riding, though I'm not sure if it will be a similar support role to last year or if he'll have more freedom to target stages, green jersey etc.

dahat wrote: »

Just saw it now - that was incredibly easy. Seeing the others move onto Morkov's wheel after Sam opened his sprint said it all.

Just saw it now - that was incredibly easy. Seeing the others move onto Morkov's wheel after Sam opened his sprint said it all.

Mick is a bloody legend

MTB racing is live at the minute with MvDP and Pidcock involved

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/live/men-xco-albstadt-2021-uci-mountain-bike-world-cup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

MTB racing is live at the minute with MvDP and Pidcock involved

https://www.redbull.com/ie-en/live/men-xco-albstadt-2021-uci-mountain-bike-world-cup

Pidcock 5th
    MvDP 7th, I think.

Pidcock started from the 11th row of the grid. He had a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Algarve looks interesting as well, Bennett, Morkov, Ackermann, Van Poppel all in the break 3m 30s ahead of the peloton

It's not something I watch a lot of, but gives me an appreciation of the skill set them two have. I'd not have been at all confident riding parts of that course.

• Advertisement

Cracking finish to Algarve there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Great stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Local knowledge comes to the fore as the local lads in the Pro-Conti team mug Ineos and take the GC. Great finale!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Great ride by Sam today. Getting in the break, then dropping the others (including morkov) on the climbs, then when finally dropped himself, gunning it on the front of the peloton to try and bring it back for Asgreen.
    I wonder as he gets older would he transition into more of a roleur/classics rider, seems more able to get over bumps now than he did previously

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

retalivity wrote: »
    I wonder as he gets older would he transition into more of a roleur/classics rider, seems more able to get over bumps now than he did previously
    Might be a positive if the move back to a sagan less bora comes to pass!

Great news :)

Tom Dumoulin to return to racing at Tour de Suisse
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tom-dumoulin-to-return-to-racing-at-tour-de-suisse/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Couple of Irish lads in action at the Wallonie today (Ben Healy, Rory Townsend). On Eurosport player at 14:30.

mewso wrote: »
    Couple of Irish lads in action at the Wallonie today (Ben Healy, Rory Townsend). On Eurosport player at 14:30.

Archie Ryan was down to start the other day but don't see his name there now.

Archie Ryan was down to start the other day but don't see his name there now.

I did spot he was promoted the main team for the Vuelta a Andalucia on the 18th. Maybe thats why hes off the list.

• Advertisement

mewso wrote: »

Townsend finished 20th. Picks up 3 UCI points. Healy ended up 18 seconds down.

Advertisement