Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

Win for Rory Townsend in France today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Raoul Duke wrote: »
    To me it looked like he was being directed up that road. I read that they were there to direct team cars etc up there, but they were making a little motion with the flag in front of him, so I can understand his error. It's looks to me like they were at fault. But maybe he should have known better.
    Also, there was another cyclist from the peloton that went up it. It was a team mate of Van Moer's. He turned around though. I presume he was just checking up on his team mate.

Same here, marshals were to blame for that one.

Ha delighted, that young lad more than made up for his wrong turn today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

The usual question now when he races... did Froome get dropped today?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

velo.2010 wrote: »
    The usual question now when he races... did Froome get dropped today?

He finished in the main bunch on the same time as everyone, bar the winner, who came in solo 25 seconds ahead of the peloton.

• Advertisement

Kirby mentioned the team that films and produces the Dauphine being the same as the Tour and it shows. From the shots from the moto to the helicopters they just always seem to be in the best spots when they cut between them. It really is the best shot cycling there is. Nothing comes close to a bike race during summer in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Froome talks a good game in his latest Youtube video. He's dropped down to about 68 kilos with another kilo or so to go, so he's getting close to where he was during his Team Sky days. It's inconceivable that he'll suddenly find form again, but a part of me wants him to throw a small spanner in the works of everyone who thinks its a two (or three for some if you count Thomas) horse race in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Froome himself talks very modestly in that. All he says is that he want to get further up the climbs than he has been. And see his training power numbers transfer to racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Froome talks a good game in his latest Youtube video. He's dropped down to about 68 kilos with another kilo or so to go, so he's getting close to where he was during his Team Sky days. It's inconceivable that he'll suddenly find form again, but a part of me wants him to throw a small spanner in the works of everyone who thinks its a two (or three for some if you count Thomas) horse race in July.

I've a feeling Pog is going to destroy everyone at the Tour, Roglic won't be as close to him as he was last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Whilst looking at the results yesterday (to see where Froome finished :pac:); I noticed that Brandon McNulty from Team UAE lost a good chunk of time, which was very unexpected.

Also I would have expected Michael Woods to be riding the Dauphine... anyone know why he isn't?

• Advertisement

Yeah McNulty had a mechanical with I think 30km to go and got back on but started to slip out the back again not long afterwards.

Mads Pederson was another who struggled as he did in the last race. Mullen went back to help him but I see from the tracker he's struggling to hold on again today. So some illness or injury there maybe.

Woods last rode in Romandie a month ago so would have thought he'd want another race before the tour like Dauphine or Swiss.

Actually there are a few going to the tour not riding in the run up to it, Roglic and Uran come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Woods was on the provisional start list for the Dauphine on the likes of procyclingstats and cyclingfever

Speaking of that, they all have Martin, Bennett and Roche down for the Tour

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Eurosport's TV commitment to Dauphine coverage is questionable at best. Scheduled to start at 13:23 but now waiting for Watson v Diyas tennis to finish...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,171 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

retalivity wrote: »
    I've a feeling Pog is going to destroy everyone at the Tour, Roglic won't be as close to him as he was last year.

Just hope Ineos get dropped fast like last year so we don't have to watch Thomas get trained up every mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Dodge wrote: »
    Woods was on the provisional start list for the Dauphine on the likes of procyclingstats and cyclingfever

Speaking of that, they all have Martin, Bennett and Roche down for the Tour

In Roche's last diary for the Giro he said he didnt know what his next race would be and didnt mention TDF. He said he hopes to ride in Olympics for Ireland.
    Hopefully if he doesnt do TDF he wil do Vuelta.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Froome dropped in stage 2 near the end on the last categorised climb.

Froome slipping off the back over a cat 2

Had to mute the tv there with Kirby on about Froome.

Amazing stuff by Postlberger to hang on, he seemed to be cramping up a long time before the line. Shane Archibold had stayed with him until the Cat 2...

With the size of that group at the end I was thinking one or two of the GC men might have been caught out, but looks like all/most of them were there.

• Advertisement

With the size of that group at the end I was thinking one or two of the GC men might have been caught out, but looks like all/most of them were there.

Except for our old pal Froomey, I mean he has to have no chance at the Tour which starts in roughly a month, if he is getting dropped on a Parcour like today's, that Sonny Colbrelli can get over! It was somewhere 2/3 up the Côte de la fôret that he got dropped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Inquitus wrote: »
    Froome dropped in stage 2 near the end on the last categorised climb.

He could "surprise" us all yet

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I think it's ridiculous that Postelburger hasn't got an endorsement deal from Deliveroo yet

they/them/theirs

Froome had a video from a recent training camp, interesting enough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

What are ISN’s tactics going to be for the tour when Froome is inevitably dropped on the first hill?
    Martin and Woods are down to go on PCS but I’m not sure that is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

What are ISN’s tactics going to be for the tour when Froome is inevitably dropped on the first hill?
    Martin and Woods are down to go on PCS but I’m not sure that is accurate.

Woods is going as 'Plan B', Martin i would be very susrpised he goes to the tour

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

retalivity wrote: »
    Woods is going as 'Plan B', Martin i would be very susrpised he goes to the tour

I thought Woods plan was for the Olympics?

TdF doesn’t seem like ideal preparation.

Poor Froome seems to be climbing worse than the likes of a Sagan or a Colbrelli, the Tour is going to be a nightmare for him, I do have some sympathy.

• Advertisement

Inquitus wrote: »
    Poor Froome seems to be climbing worse than the likes of a Sagan or a Colbrelli, the Tour is going to be a nightmare for him, I do have some sympathy.

He's just come down from altitude it looks like. He'll be in much better shape for the Tour. Good enough shape to challenge for the GC? I really don't think so.

But I can't see him getting dropped on Cat 2 climbs in the Tour, if he is in that kind of shape he shouldn't be on the team.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement