Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Was there ever any more news released as to what the illness was that caused Dan to miss Tirreno Adriatic?

As far as I can recall they said Michael Woods pulled out because of bronchitis but they didn't say what was wrong with Dan.

Okay so it turns out that Dan had Covid.
    “We didn’t really publicise this fact, but way back in March, when I was supposed to be at Tirreno, I actually got COVID pretty bad,”

From this interview on Cyclingnews

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Okay so it turns out that Dan had Covid.

From this interview on Cyclingnews

And it says that he's aiming to do the tour too.

Less than 10 km to go in the Dauphine.

Given that Sonny Colbrelli has won the bunch sprint in the first two stages (but didn't actually win either stage), I hope he is first across the line today.

Looks like DQS trying to tee up Jakobsen, could be interesting and would be immense if he does it.

Looks like DQS trying to tee up Jakobsen, could be interesting and would be immense if he does it.

Was way off in the end, that sprint seemed endless though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Colbrelli times it nicely, good win for him after 2 Breakaway winners!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The whole peloton seemed to be lining up to congratulate colbrelli after!

Looked to be a popular winner there, no shortage of lads congratulating him.

That was quite the grind to the finish. Chapeau to Colbrelli. Appears to be a very popular winner within the peloton

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Maybe it’s an after Giro lull but I’ve very little enthusiasm for the Dauphine this year. The field doesn’t seem as strong as usual

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote: »
    Maybe it’s an after Giro lull but I’ve very little enthusiasm for the Dauphine this year. The field doesn’t seem as strong as usual

I find a week break with no racing on TV after a GT is kinda needed to reset the enthusiasm level

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I find a week break with no racing on TV after a GT is kinda needed to reset the enthusiasm level
    Useful for getting a bit of work done in the afternoons too.

I've decided to skip all of the week long stage races this year, catch a lot of the GTs with working from home, all of the monuments and the likes of Strade Bianche or Amstel Gold, and all the good Belgian classics too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I actually miss the ITV coverage - I keep sitting down at 10, and it's still the bloody tennis. Their highlights are a step up from GCN, which I have been using instead. But in fairness, it's after today it really gets interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

that EF tt helmet looks ridiculous

Not a good TT from Froome... nearly two minutes behind the current fastest time :o

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Not a good TT from Froome... nearly two minutes behind the current fastest time :o

And passed by his minuteman...he really sold Israel a pup!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

retalivity wrote: »

Its actually making me like him. He has reinvented himself as a cockney grifter

Thomas with the fastest time at the intermediate time point

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Its actually making me like him. He has reinvented himself as a cockney grifter
    It's good to see him back to his old form. Pre-2011 Vuelta form.

Astana pulling some serious fast times today

• Advertisement

Looking like Lutsenko will win the stage and probably be in yellow as well

Wow Postlberger still in yellow?!

EDIT : Yep, by one second. Chapeau to him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Chris Froome: I'm not going to win the Tour de France this year

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-im-not-going-to-win-the-tour-de-france-this-year/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

They should have bought Póstlberger.
    Delighted to see Bora commiting to bringing back threats to his yellow jersey at the start of today's stage. He is living the dream. And a man of the Rás to boot!

Asgreen in the break puts him in the virtual lead over all by about 1:31 at the minute. Doubt they can hang on but stranger things have happened.

Ryan Mullen in the break at the Dauphiné today, doesn't look like it has a hope of sticking though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

retalivity wrote: »

There's probably more talk about him, than anyone else including among here.

He's the main story on cycling news and cyclist website right now and watching the Criterium du Dauphine on and off, the cameras are always looking for him no matter where he is.

He's struggling to be middle of the pack, but the team are probably getting all the exposure they'd ever imagine out of him finishing nowhere than Dan Martin winning a Giro stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,380 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

BREAKING NEWS!!!
    Chris Froome: I'm not going to win the Tour de France this year
    https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/chris-froome-im-not-going-to-win-the-tour-de-france-this-year/

He's sandbagging... after the first rest day he'll blow the field away on the last climb :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭happytramp

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's probably more talk about him, than anyone else including among here.

He's the main story on cycling news and cyclist website right now and watching the Criterium du Dauphine on and off, the cameras are always looking for him no matter where he is.

He's struggling to be middle of the pack, but the team are probably getting all the exposure they'd ever imagine out of him finishing nowhere than Dan Martin winning a Giro stage.

True, but a lot of the talk about him is about how bad he's been and how crazy it is for ISN to be paying him so much... I know the old saying is that all publicity is good publicity but I'm not 100% convinced that's true when everyone is just talking about how foolish you've been.

Advertisement