Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

Thought it was a rerun of a late 90's race when I saw those blue tyres on the JV bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

I would imagine these sponsorships are billed as marketing expenses so don't directly come out of the pocket of the main company owners,Might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Old Man Valverde takes it!! Fair going at that age. And he's been consistent now for a long, long time. I know most on here hate the guy's guts, but I can't.

It's not as if the iffy jiffy premarital gains lads are saints. Or the Jumba for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

'VALVERDE TIMING IS EVERYTHING! YOU MIGHT SAY..... AN OLD HEAD ON YOUNG SHOULDERS. ALMOST.! OR .... IS IT T'OTHER WAY ROUND...?'

Do they have the equivalent of the Golden Raspberries for commentators? This could be up there for worst commentary in a leading role

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Brian? wrote: »
    Oleg Tinkoff as well.

I often wonder what the cost/benefit breakdown of sponsoring a cycling team is. Jumbo is everywhere here, does sponsoring a team really bring in more customers? How many extra floors to Quickstep sell?

Ineos, is a real puzzler. They are a fracking supply company. Why are they the main sponsor of the team with the biggest budget in cycling?

Quickstep are sponsoring a team where the 2 biggest pastimes outside of beer and chips are cycling and DIY so I could see the sponsorship working well for Quickstep in goodwill and encouraging people to support their own

• Registered Users Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Itziger wrote: »
    Old Man Valverde takes it!! Fair going at that age. And he's been consistent now for a long, long time. I know most on here hate the guy's guts, but I can't.

It's not as if the iffy jiffy premarital gains lads are saints. Or the Jumba for that matter.

Once you get a ring on the finger, these are quickly taken away.

Bernal tests positive for Covid before flying back to Colombia.
    Can't travel now...wonder if he had it before the end of the Giro or got it since Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

As much as I like to see an old man winning the fact he’s an unrepentant doper and was part of one of the biggest doping rings in its time means I can’t enjoy his wins. A bit like Vinokourov, I loved his racing style but was sick when he won Olympic gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Absolutely sick of Valverde. The sport will never be believable with this guy winning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've said before, I'm ambivalent about the unrepentant doper bit (it's only words for a lot of them) - I just never liked his tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭griffin100

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've said before, I'm ambivalent about the unrepentant doper bit (it's only words for a lot of them) - I just never liked his tactics.

True, but then you look at a rider like Dan Martin, who rightly or wrongly I like to think is clean, who has had I think 3 second place finishes in one day classics to Valverde.

This final climb at the dauphine is great craic, constant attacking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Mas and Lopez doing sterling work to put Porte in yellow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Can’t believe the state of the road they are climbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Mark Padun is all chat

Looks like Dunbar is in as a replacement for Tom Pidcock at Tour de Swiss tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Seems to be another early finish for the last stage of the Dauphine. I tuned in too late for the live coverage today

• Registered Users Posts: 26,170 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Seems to be another early finish for the last stage of the Dauphine. I tuned in too late for the live coverage today

Same. I was screaming at the TV cause they were showing tennis on both Eurosports before I realised what had happened

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Patrick Konrad in the break with 30km to go, they have a 2'52" lead, Conrad has a 2'51 deficit to Porte. Highly unlikely he'll take it but makes for an interesting race.

• Advertisement

Padun still high from yesterday, dropping everyone else again!

No live coverage of Tour de Suisse today? All I see is highlights at 7pm on ES2 :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Good to see Steve k on the attack but disappointing to see Nairo Q attack turn to nothing so quickly.

Also it seems Sky train is back to normal

Good to see Steve k on the attack but disappointing to see Nairo Q attack turn to nothing so quickly.

Also it seems Sky train is back to normal

As are Movistar back to having mental tactics

Thomas crashes, porte leaving gaps on the descent, this is getting interesting...

Kelderman is so annoying with his wheel hugging.

retalivity wrote: »
    Thomas crashes, porte leaving gaps on the descent, this is getting interesting...

As Brian Smith says, what a wasted opportunity to let Thomas back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Snoozefest FFS.

Some of those lads wouldn't attack if you gave 'em a loaded gun.

That said, Having a TdF winner and a Giro winner pace you up the climb must be nice.

Snoozefest FFS.

Some of those lads wouldn't attack if you gave 'em a loaded gun.

That said, Having a TdF winner and a Giro winner pace you up the climb must be nice.

Ya I think a race without Podge or Rodge is not worth watching. 2 grand tour winners pacing porte meant an attack was always going to be hard.

• Advertisement

2nd place for Ben Healy today in the baby Giro. Only 1 second off the winner in the ITT.

Advertisement