Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Moved to UAE Team and apparently for 14x what he was on with Sunweb now DSM, starts his season in Catalunya on the 22nd.

Bit odd though that he hasn't participated in a race yet this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Moved to UAE Team and apparently for 14x what he was on with Sunweb now DSM, starts his season in Catalunya on the 22nd.
    Yeah, I read that but my question was more in the rhetorical sense, as I've heard everything from him being MIA during lockdown last year, to NDA's, to his former boss not trusting what he was seeing on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Paddigol

You've just got to love Loulou! A pity Sagan's wild days seem numbered - himself and JA going toe to toe, with WVA and MVP for company, would be something else. Might happen yet...

We seem to be entering a 'golden age' of cycling with the amount of showmen and/ or young guys breaking through. It's only a couple of years since the likes of Nibali, Froome, Uran, Valverde were top dogs. They've been shouldered abruptly off the top step through a combination of injury, age and new race strategies. Great to see!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Paddigol wrote: »
    You've just got to love Loulou! A pity Sagan's wild days seem numbered - himself and JA going toe to toe, with WVA and MVP for company, would be something else. Might happen yet...

We seem to be entering a 'golden age' of cycling with the amount of showmen and/ or young guys breaking through. It's only a couple of years since the likes of Nibali, Froome, Uran, Valverde were top dogs. They've been shouldered abruptly off the top step through a combination of injury, age and new race strategies. Great to see!

So many people hate Ala and get really really wound up when he starts messing about. Makes me like him even more, troll the bores I say

• Advertisement

Watching Healthy Aging Tour here, the ladies are doing laps on a closed course with hills, cobbles and lovely smooth tarmac and it's miserable weather wise, it's bucketing down. The climb is only 400m at 6% but they take it 17 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,342 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Watching Healthy Aging Tour here, the ladies are doing laps on a closed course with hills, cobbles and lovely smooth tarmac and it's miserable weather wise, it's bucketing down. The climb is only 400m at 6% but they take it 17 times.

That'll separate the, men from the boys eh, women from the girls.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I'm looking at the profile on pro cycling stats if I'm reading it right thats 6800m of up, ouch :eek:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/healthy-ageing-tour/2021/stage-3/today/profiles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm looking at the profile on pro cycling stats if I'm reading it right thats 6800m of up, ouch :eek:

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/healthy-ageing-tour/2021/stage-3/today/profiles

I don't think you're reading it right :pac:

The climb is 400m long, not 400m high!

400m * 6% gradient * 17 laps = 408m of elevation. When you look at the profile below you'll see each climb is just a bump and never rises above ~30m at it's highest point.

energiewacht-tour-2021-stage-3-profile-69afe32e71.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The 'Healthy Aging tour' is a great name for a race.

• Advertisement

I don't think you're reading it right :pac:

The climb is 400m long, not 400m high!

400m * 6% gradient * 17 laps = 408m of elevation. When you look at the profile below you'll see each climb is just a bump and never rises above ~30m at it's highest point.

Ha maths fail for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Might change today obviously but this is still an incredible stat

http://twitter.com/gcnracing/status/1370059822943645696?s=21

Sam has made it over all the climbs in the peloton and lurking towards the front now. Drag to the finish so might not be ideal for him but should be interesting to watch. Demare, Bouhanni etc didn't make it over the climb with the group. 14km to go.

edit, here's the finish.

paris-nice-2021-stage-6-finish-291595a0b8.png

Chapeau to Kenny Elissonde for giving it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Bennett is better than most sprinters uphill

dublin49 wrote: »
    Bennett is better than most sprinters uphill

Indeed - Matthews still there though and Roglic has won these types of finishes before too.

Sam popped :( He really looked like he was wrestling the bike in a massive way shortly before that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Sam popped :( He really looked like he was wrestling the bike in a massive way shortly before that...

Team mates pace killed him there, why didn't he let someone else lead that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

bit of a Sean Kelly, Roglic

De Bhál wrote: »
    Team mates pace killed him there, why didn't he let someone else lead that

Interesting that commentators said the ramps were steeper than they expected, may well have been the same with Sam/DQS. He rolled in 2 mins after Roglic, having only been dropped in the last km :o

• Advertisement

Interesting that commentators said the ramps were steeper than they expected, may well have been the same with Sam/DQS. He rolled in 2 mins after Roglic, having only been dropped in the last km :o

And Sam absolutely looks cream-crackered

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

And Sam absolutely looks cream-crackered

and Donald Ducked

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Pretty spectacular blow up from Sam, came to a complete stop and almost toppled clean over. Moments like that make me feel more in touch with the pros. Watching them, thinking "Yeah, that's how I'd be too " :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dublin49

Brave effort ,pity as eased slightly for awhile just after he popped,although he wouldnt have won anyway I think.

We need a poll... Who's the best male rider in the world.

Alaphilippe
    Van Aert
    Van der Poel
    Roglic
    Pogacar

Honourable mentions for Bernal, Bennett, Hirschi, Ewan etc. Oh and Evanepoel when he returns.

I expected JA to contest that but maybe it wasn't steep enough for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Narrator : it did not change
    Dodge wrote: »
    Might change today obviously but this is still an incredible stat

http://twitter.com/gcnracing/status/1370059822943645696?s=21

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

velo.2010 wrote: »
    We need a poll... Who's the best male rider in the world.

Alaphilippe
    Van Aert
    Van der Poel
    Roglic
    Pogacar

Honourable mentions for Bernal, Bennett, Hirschi, Ewan etc. Oh and Evanepoel when he returns.

At what? Sprint, Time Trial, Climbing, Cobbles, Puncher?
    With a strong team, without a strong team?

mewso wrote: »
    At what? Sprint, Time Trial, Climbing, Cobbles, Puncher?
    With a strong team, without a strong team?

I think we assume those criteria already.

• Advertisement

Second time in 3 days Jumbo Visma doubled up on the wins.

EDIT: I need my eyes checked, thought Van Aert had that.

Advertisement