Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General race thread 2021 **spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

retalivity wrote: »
    Sickened for mader there!

Heart breaking for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Roglic is an awful prick :D

Gutted for Mader there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My partner who never watches racing sat in for the last few minutes while I caught them up on what was happening. Heartbroken for him. I'd give up the bike for awhile if I lost like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Looking at it again. I think Mader looked behind for Roglic. Whilst he was turning his head, Roglic whizzed by so quickly that he missed him. Then when he turned back Roglic was ahead of him :pac:

• Advertisement

30km to go in Italy, break still has 5 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Looking at it again. I think Mader looked behind for Roglic. Whilst he was turning his head, Roglic whizzed by so quickly that he missed him. Then when he turned back Roglic was ahead of him :pac:

Thats what it looked like alright..didnt clock him at all and was looking back at schachmann

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Big chance for the breakaway at Paris-Nice to win today. We've seen a lockout of the top spots by the very best riders in both stage races. It would be massive for one of the three out in front to bag a stage here.

edit: I'll correct myself after looking at the profile of the final climb (14 km at 7%) and say they won't stay away. Ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Daroxtar wrote: »

Yeah, that was desperate!

Van Aert dropped Bernal, Thomas , Nibali and many more climbers. Amazing and he could still win the overall with a time trial to come. Tomorrow will tell a lot too. Pogacar is fairly relentless though, isn't he.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭griffin100

Daroxtar wrote: »

Sort of agree, but then winning is his job. I think the days of banking credit with other riders and teams by gifting stages is over. Felt gutted for Mader though, he looked like he was cooked by the end. It’ll take a few days to get over that I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,813 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I still think he is plan B but Sam is really making sure he goes into MSR in the form of his life

I doubt Pogacar did 6.6 w/kg if 12 riders finished within a minute of him, with Yates only 6 seconds behind. The onscreen graphic was showing 420w on a couple of occasions. Pogacar's listed weight is 66kg at just over 5'9. That gives him 6.3-6.4 w/kg for the 36 minutes. Not mutant but certaintly very interesting when we hear of anything above 6.2w/kg for 40 minutes to an hour ringing alarm bells for some.

I await Pogacar and/or UAE to publish his data for today's climb.
    edit: Simon Carr's Strava data saying 6.2w/kg which would put Pogacar around that 6.3-6.4w/kg.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    I doubt Pogacar did 6.6 w/kg if 12 riders finished within a minute of him, with Yates only 6 seconds behind. The onscreen graphic was showing 420w on a couple of occasions. Pogacar's listed weight is 66kg at just over 5'9. That gives him 6.3-6.4 w/kg for the 36 minutes. Not mutant but certaintly very interesting when we hear of anything above 6.2w/kg for 40 minutes to an hour ringing alarm bells for some.

I await Pogacar and/or UAE to publish his data for today's climb. Wouldn't be surprised if conditions were favourable or telemetry was incorrect, giving something closer to 6.2 w/kg.

If he is smashing all time records and Yates is keeping within 6 seconds and Wout keeping within 40 seconds then it couldn't be much of a record

breezy1985 wrote: »
    If he is smashing all time records and Yates is keeping within 6 seconds and Wout keeping within 40 seconds then it couldn't be much of a record
    There is definitely a shift upwards with these climbing records and fast times from many riders and no huge time gaps. Time to consider the magic 6.2 w/kg for an hour a thing of the past if all are clean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

CramCycle wrote: »
    My partner who never watches racing sat in for the last few minutes while I caught them up on what was happening. Heartbroken for him. I'd give up the bike for awhile if I lost like that.

Was shouting for Mader in the last 1k.. really wanted to see him do it. Roglic was ruthless, I don't feel Sorry for him any more now after TdF as he showed no mercy himself today.

Really is all teeing up for a great season of cycling ahead...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

The way Sam has been going so we expect to see him challenge in the final stage? Climbs don’t look too hectic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The way Sam has been going so we expect to see him challenge in the final stage? Climbs don’t look too hectic.

I'd say Sam has two chances tomorrow, slim and none.

Wooahh, I think I just heard Slim riding out of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'd say Sam has two chances tomorrow, slim and none.

Oh I didn’t say he would win. But he has definitely been putting a lot more effort in on the last 2 stages than you would expect to see.

Oh I didn’t say he would win. But he has definitely been putting a lot more effort in on the last 2 stages than you would expect to see.

For sure.
    Until today, I hadn't given Sam much chance for Milan-San Remo. Now, I'm more hopeful for a good result.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    For sure.
    Until today, I hadn't given Sam much chance for Milan-San Remo. Now, I'm more hopeful for a good result.

Forget MSR I reckon all that talk in the Irish media about his poor results in the Alps has him spurred on to win the TdF to shut them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Forget MSR I reckon all that talk in the Irish media about his poor results in the Alps has him spurred on to win the TdF to shut them up
    At the very least he'll be looking to improve his overall position. Pretty poor last year.

Kicking off in Tirreno, the lashing rain and the short sharp climbs make it look like belgium.
    MVDP constantly attacking as well

Van Der Poel, Van Aert, Pogacar and Bernal go up the road. Yikes.

This is like a spring classic at this stage.

VDP away and gone here, I think.

And he hasn't even bothered with a raincoat, gilet, arm warmers or anything.
    Hardy buck.

• Advertisement

Look at the trees blowing in the wind there :eek:

Advertisement