Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"public" health Insurance

• 25-02-2021 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi, I've VHI health insurance that only covers surgery in public hospitals. Unfortunately public hospitals are closed for surgeries at the moment. I'm in dire need of surgery, consultant was going to book me in for the end of march in a private hospital before I told him I wasn't covered.

Now I was told by VHI that there was a HSE scheme that allowed approx. 30% of patients into private hospitals. I was then informed by my GP that that only covered public patients.

So basically I would've have been better off not having any insurance at all. Does anyone know what I can do to get VHI to budge and cover me in private, as the service I'm getting from them is completely useless. I'm close to the point of just paying for the surgery myself

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi, I've VHI health insurance that only covers surgery in public hospitals. Unfortunately public hospitals are closed for surgeries at the moment. I'm in dire need of surgery, consultant was going to book me in for the end of march in a private hospital before I told him I wasn't covered.

If you are in dire need of surgery, then your GP/Consultant should be able to arrange this. Have the explained why the are not able to do so?
    Now I was told by VHI that there was a HSE scheme that allowed approx. 30% of patients into private hospitals. I was then informed by my GP that that only covered public patients.

As I understand it, in an emergency situation. Given it is a dire situation, I'm at a loss as to why your GP/Consultant are not doing more to support you...
    So basically I would've have been better off not having any insurance at all. Does anyone know what I can do to get VHI to budge and cover me in private, as the service I'm getting from them is completely useless. I'm close to the point of just paying for the surgery myself

Well you choose the policy, can't blame them for providing the service you requested...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

Jim2007 wrote: »
    If you are in dire need of surgery, then your GP/Consultant should be able to arrange this. Have the explained why the are not able to do so?

As I understand it, in an emergency situation. Given it is a dire situation, I'm at a loss as to why your GP/Consultant are not doing more to support you...

nope, i've rang, they're looking in to it apparently . I've found everyone i've dealt with to be cold and uncaring

as for choosing the policy, if the hospitals where open it wouldn't matter, I couldn't have predicted hospitals would be closed so for now the insurance covers nothing

nope, i've rang, they're looking in to it apparently . I've found everyone i've dealt with to be cold and uncaring

Well that does not make any sense. If the tell you, you need urgent surgery then they need to follow up on it. I would suggest you contact your GP ASAP and demand to know exactly what his plan is.

as for choosing the policy, if the hospitals where open it wouldn't matter, I couldn't have predicted hospitals would be closed so for now the insurance covers nothing

They don't have a crystal ball either.//

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

well I'm only in constant pain and not dying so I guess I'm not a priority in their eyes

well I'm only in constant pain and not dying so I guess I'm not a priority in their eyes

So not an emergency then. I guess the only choices then is to accept the situation or pay for it yourself.

If you can afford it, I’d be inclined to go down that route. Once the floodgates open it might not be so easy get an appointment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement