Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best way to remove lime from car paint

Options
  • 25-02-2021 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've had my MGB GT in storage in an underground car park whilst getting my garage at home sorted out. When the weather was really bad a couple of weeks ago water dripped through the concrete building and onto the car bonnet. There's a car valet operating near the car and I spoke to the guy there who said he saw it happening and wished he was able to call me. He'd had it drip on to a car's windscreen and he was able to scrap it off with a blade but for my car it'd be a bodyshop job to fix it. He said it would need a wet or damp sanding I think. I've had a look online and it seems to be a common enough thing with some advising different acids (white vinegar was one) they'd use and wipe slowly on it.

Any one have any recommendations or experience with this? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Vinegar is a very mild acid, and won’t damage the paint, but will take a while to work (but is safer than more aggressive acids, like formic acid, which is used as a kettle descaler).
    Soak a piece of toilet paper in vinegar and lay it over the deposit. Remove it every so often and wipe away the softened top layer with a cloth, to expose fresh deposit (do NOT rub or scrub the area). You’ll need to keep adding more vinegar/changing the toilet roll, as it and the deposit are neutralising each other in the removal process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭NuckChorris1

Brilliant! Thank you!

Advertisement