Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to evict licensee

Options
  • 08-02-2021 3:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    The Garda got involved in evicting one of my lodgers in the past, so yes they are familiar with rent-a-room and will intervene if required.
    Rent-a-room is regulated by Irish law as per below. A written contract can't overwrite the nature of it.

IIs that apply also to tenants who rent-a-room?

I am sorry but I am looking for some advice here. (Also, sorry for my English but I am a Spanish native speaker) I don't even know where to start. Well two years ago, I was looking for someone to rent a room (my landlord was aware, I have been the only tenant on the lease for more than 6 years) So, I chose someone (let's call her Claire). The first year was quite ok, even if I received a warning from the property management because she had a party (we live in a small building) However, since the first lockdown, things have been escalated. She is currently unemployed due to the current situation and I work from home.

Basically, for almost a year now, she lives at night. She invites her friends to come over despite visits are not permitted. She is on drugs almost on daily basis. (and when I said drugs, it is heavy stuff like cocaine and ketamine) She is smoking in her room. She is moving stuff during night time.
    I served her a notice period on Friday after having confirmation by RTB and Threshold that she is a licensee. However, on Friday night she still invited her friends to come over, they left at 10 pm to go to a party, She came back with a random dude at 11 am. They are smoking and I could smell it in the living room. Today. she invited one of her friends for a dinner and then she invited another guy to have sex with and drugs. That was too much to handle as I am working and that affects my mental health and my work.

I went to the Garda Station at 1 am and they basically told me, they can't evict her friends. They also told me they can't evict her after the notice period and it is the landlord's responsibility. Even I told them, she is a licensee and doesn't fall under the PRTB, they told me the landlord has to claim a dispute with the RTB??? I am not Irish and not familiar with Irish laws but this is completely wrong. Also, the guards told me she isn't against the law and they said "Why you don't move in another room?" Like seriously????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Has she signed a lease? Who did she pay rent to, you or the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭EddieSteele

Has she signed a lease? Who did she pay rent to, you or the landlord?

She hasn''t signed anything it was an oral agreement and she is paying the rent to me directly

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

She hasn''t signed anything it was an oral agreement and she is paying the rent to me directly

When she goes out next just leave your key in the door. She has no rights, and she sounds like someone who deserves no sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

The guards taking the easy way out as usual.

Ring them again and tell them you have a trespasser that needs to be removed. Do not refer to them as a tenant

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

Kids are off now for next few weeks. Make sure they make as much noise as possible. Shrug your shoulders if she complains. Warn your other tenant in advance. She’ll go herself hopefully.

I agree with this. Not in a petty way but in a "this is YOUR home and you make the rules" way
    She's a tenant renting a room. That's it. She doesn't have any say on how the house should be ran. In fact she should be counting her blessings that she isn't renting from someone who is making her life a misery, gurantee she would be gone quicker
    You have a contract with her that says you can give one months notice. There you go.
    Taking the bathroom key? That's hiding property for one. Pretty sure that's stealing.
    I still would make all the noises and tell her to hand the keys over, if not change the bathroom lock and don't give her any keys so she doesn't have the authority to do anything.
    Speak to both tenants and see if you can come to an agreement and I echo a previous poster about having a witness there because this tenant sounds vindictive.
    This is your home and I think you're being too nice. Stand your ground and make her see that she doesn't rule anyone

• Advertisement

if there are any updates can people say which poster they are replying to as there are now 2 different stories going on in this thread and replies coming in to both................... Thanks (I'm getting confused!)

dubrov wrote: »
    The guards taking the easy way out as usual.

Ring them again and tell them you have a trespasser that needs to be removed. Do not refer to them as a tenant

I wish I could but I sent her an email saying she has 28 days to leave (well 25 now) so she has a proof that legally she can stay here until the 5th of March.
    I haven't slept last night. Her TV was too loud and she was laughing with her random guy until 4 am taking stuff and all. I had to ask for a day off today...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

IIs that apply also to tenants who rent-a-room?

I am sorry but I am looking for some advice here. (Also, sorry for my English but I am a Spanish native speaker) I don't even know where to start. Well two years ago, I was looking for someone to rent a room (my landlord was aware, I have been the only tenant on the lease for more than 6 years) So, I chose someone (let's call her Claire). The first year was quite ok, even if I received a warning from the property management because she had a party (we live in a small building) However, since the first lockdown, things have been escalated. She is currently unemployed due to the current situation and I work from home.

Basically, for almost a year now, she lives at night. She invites her friends to come over despite visits are not permitted. She is on drugs almost on daily basis. (and when I said drugs, it is heavy stuff like cocaine and ketamine) She is smoking in her room. She is moving stuff during night time.
    I served her a notice period on Friday after having confirmation by RTB and Threshold that she is a licensee. However, on Friday night she still invited her friends to come over, they left at 10 pm to go to a party, She came back with a random dude at 11 am. They are smoking and I could smell it in the living room. Today. she invited one of her friends for a dinner and then she invited another guy to have sex with and drugs. That was too much to handle as I am working and that affects my mental health and my work.

I went to the Garda Station at 1 am and they basically told me, they can't evict her friends. They also told me they can't evict her after the notice period and it is the landlord's responsibility. Even I told them, she is a licensee and doesn't fall under the PRTB, they told me the landlord has to claim a dispute with the RTB??? I am not Irish and not familiar with Irish laws but this is completely wrong. Also, the guards told me she isn't against the law and they said "Why you don't move in another room?" Like seriously????

I had the same problem. I caught my lodgers doing lines of coke in the kitchen and told them that i wasn't going to tolerate that.
    The situation deteriorated within a couple of weeks, so I called up cops who came in the middle of the night and spoke to the guys, who at that point were all nice and friendly.
    I made them agree in front of the cops that they were going to leave the morning after and so they did.

This was a rent-a-room situation. The cops can evict unwelcome people from your house, as long as you live there too.

I had the same problem. I caught my lodgers doing lines of coke in the kitchen and told them that i wasn't going to tolerate that.
    The situation deteriorated within a couple of weeks, so I called up cops who came in the middle of the night and spoke to the guys, who at that point were all nice and friendly.
    I made them agree in front of the cops that they were going to leave the morning after and so they did.

This was a rent-a-room situation. The cops can evict unwelcome people from your house, as long as you live there too.

She is doing it in her room so basically I have no real proof... Also, I sent a notice to vacate so I am pretty sure she can use it against me.

"This was a rent-a-room situation. The cops can evict unwelcome people from your house, as long as you live there too." this isn't what they said at the Ballymun Garda Station yesterday...

And for those who told me that I could leave, it is a complete no. I have been here almost 7 years now. I love my neighbourhood, I have decorated the apartment, had great tenant before. Why I should leave? So basically someone who is not hygienic, taking stuff on daily basis, make noises can stay and I have to leave. She is not going win.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭eastie17

Surely if you go to the Garda station and say there is a person in your house taking illegal drugs they have to show up and investigate that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She is doing it in her room so basically I have no real proof... Also, I sent a notice to vacate so I am pretty sure she can use it against me.
    Just tell her that due to contiinued law breaking (drug use and non-compliance of the covid regs) you are now giving her 24 or 48 hours.

Just tell her that due to contiinued law breaking (drug use and non-compliance of the covid regs) you are now giving her 24 or 48 hours.

The Garda told me there is no official laws for covid 19 so they can't ask her friend to leave and it won't work to ask someone to leave because they invited friend... I thought I was in a real nightmare yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How is this still going.
    Advice was given.

LL living in the property means the guest in the he has no rights....
    You can kick them out.

eastie17 wrote: »
    Surely if you go to the Garda station and say there is a person in your house taking illegal drugs they have to show up and investigate that?

Apparently no... I had a young lady at the office so I don't know but she seems to have no clue and weren't really helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

"This was a rent-a-room situation. The cops can evict unwelcome people from your house, as long as you live there too." this isn't what they said at the Ballymun Garda Station yesterday...

And for those who told me that I could leave, it is a complete no. I have been here almost 7 years now. I love my neighbourhood, I have decorated the apartment, had great tenant before. Why I should leave? So basically someone who is not hygienic, taking stuff on daily basis, make noises can stay and I have to leave. She is not going win.

Sure the cops should be familiar with the law.
    If you are renting a room in your own house, your guests can stay there for as long as you allow them to be. They are entitled to reasonable notice and can't force you to keep them. They are not leasing a self contained unit

Sure the cops should be familiar with the law.
    If you are renting a room in your own house, your guests can stay there for as long as you allow them to be. They are entitled to reasonable notice and can't force you to keep them. They are not leasing a self contained unit

I am not a landlord I am only the tenant which basically is a bit more complicated. RTB can't help cause I am not a landlord but a tenant who has issues with a licensee. Threshold can't help because they consider I am a sub-landlord... Police told me to open a Court claim with RTB and Agency+ landlord told me it is my responsibility... :\

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

You have given notice. Have a locksmith ready to change the locks front and back doors on the final day, stay home all day or longer, lock her out soon as she leaves the house and dont let her back in. Pack her stuff and advise her that it will be placed outside for collection on x date

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I am not a landlord I am only the tenant which basically is a bit more complicated. RTB can't help cause I am not a landlord but a tenant who has issues with a licensee. Threshold can't help because they consider I am a sub-landlord... Police told me to open a Court claim with RTB and Agency+ landlord told me it is my responsibility... :\

All passing the buck of course. I am seething here for you

But maybe you are calling the wrong people?

Please, give Citizens information a call? I have found them a mine of accurate information in an astounding range of things.

ALSO ; call Threshhold.

Good luck.

Graces7 wrote: »

Please, give Citizens information a call? I have found them a mine of accurate information in an astounding range of things.

ALSO ; call Threshhold.

Good luck.

roroud rtion i

Well I will wait until the 5th of March and see what will happen. The landlord doesn't mind if I change the lock however I was thinking that might have still the key to the main building entrance... and the mail box

Well I will wait until the 5th of March and see what will happen. The landlord doesn't mind if I change the lock however I was thinking that might have still the key to the main building entrance... and the mail box

I was wondering this, as I was reading the thread.

Does the existing tenant (EddieSteele) have the authority to ask the licensee to leave, or does it have to come directly from the landlord who owns the property?

I already assumed the landlord's permission would be required to change any locks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does the existing tenant (EddieSteele) have the authority to ask the licensee to leave, or does it have to come directly from the landlord who owns the property?

I already assumed the landlord's permission would be required to change any locks.

The landlord has no relationship with the tenant's licensee. So no role to play between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Eddie has sublet, so it is their risk and reward. The risk is a bad licensee, their reward is lower rent to ll. Eddie cannot expect ll to assist, as they are renting to Eddie alone.
    Eddie cannot expect guards to assist, as it is not a criminal issue.
    Eddie has given licensee notice, and is preempting a problem, which may not occur.
    Eddie will have to pay for lock change, as it is their responsibility, not ll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

Graces7 wrote: »

The buck stops with EddieSteele, nobody else. He entered into the sublet arrangement for financial gain, he is responsible, not the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

emmalynn19 wrote: »
    The buck stops with EddieSteele, nobody else. He entered into the sublet arrangement for financial gain, he is responsible, not the state.

There is also the small point of not being a shi%%y tenant.

What do you mean by financial gain?

Just to make things clear, I have asked two years ago to my landlord if we can be two on the lease and not only myself. It was a completely no from her side and she said she only trust me as I have been a good tenant for 6 years.
    Also I am not subletting for financial gain at all. My licensee pays actually less than me as she is unemployed... And of course, I had to take responsibility for this which cause me stress...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just to make things clear, I have asked two years ago to my landlord if we can be two on the lease and not only myself. It was a completely no from her side and she said she only trust me as I have been a good tenant for 6 years. Also I am not subletting for financial gain at all. My licensee pays actually less than me as she is unemployed... And of course, I had to take responsibility for this which cause me stress...

It looks like your landlord wants the easy life with you taking care of finding a second tenant and dealing with any shortfall in rent.

You'd think the landlord would at least give you reduced rent for your effort

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He is responsible for a house mate using drugs and violating Covid restrictions?

He is responsible for a house mate using drugs and violating Covid restrictions?

I am a woman :D but yes it sounds I should be responsible of that apparently

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    It looks like your landlord wants the easy life with you taking care of finding a second tenant and dealing with any shortfall in rent.

You'd think the landlord would at least give you reduced rent for your effort

Completely agree with you... But as I am too nice and too naive I don't say anything. I couldn't pay the full rent this month and told her. Also, tell her I could pay the difference next month. I even showed my new salary. (My current company has decreased our salary due to covid 19) She didn't even say it's ok to leave it like this for the month.

When I told her in October what happened between me and the licensee, she basically asked me but "why are you upset if she is inviting someone over" (the visits were not permitted at that time) and then I talked about the drugs issue she has, she told me to contact the police at last resort.

Advertisement