Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to evict licensee

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭emmalynn19

Just to make things clear, I have asked two years ago to my landlord if we can be two on the lease and not only myself. It was a completely no from her side and she said she only trust me as I have been a good tenant for 6 years.
    Also I am not subletting for financial gain at all. My licensee pays actually less than me as she is unemployed... And of course, I had to take responsibility for this which cause me stress...

The person youve sublet to is paying a percentage of the rent due on the property, why else would you sublet? For the company?

He is responsible for a house mate using drugs and violating Covid restrictions?

Yes. He chose the tenant, he is responsible for removing them. Exactly the same as a landlord being responsible for anti-social tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

emmalynn19 wrote: »
    The buck stops with EddieSteele, nobody else. He entered into the sublet arrangement for financial gain, he is responsible, not the state.

I meant of course for advice not to act for him. Given that this cannot be the first time this situation has developed and that others might have helpful advice

The buck stops with EddieSteele, nobody else. He entered into the sublet arrangement for financial gain, he is responsible, not the state.

Interesting and revealing misinterpretation of what I wrote …

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭EddieSteele

The person youve sublet to is paying a percentage of the rent due on the property, why else would you sublet? For the company?

Jesus Christ...
    First of all, I was not the original tenant here, I moved in as my friend was the original tenant. Then when he decided to move back to Spain, my landlord told me I will be the only one on the lease. As I had a small salary, of course, I asked for another tenant. She said I can choose one but I will remain the only tenant in the contract. I didn't want to leave as it is a secure area, and as for the price I paid for a room it was worth it. I can't pay 1400 euros on my own...
    And my first question wasn't related to what you are saying

• Advertisement

Apparently no... I had a young lady at the office so I don't know but she seems to have no clue and weren't really helpful

Go back to the Gardaí and ask to speak to someone higher up. And do call Citizens Information please

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She said I can choose one but I will remain the only tenant in the contract.
    Thus you're the defacto landlord to your subtenant. The 28 days notice is nice, but her anti-social activities now force you to give her 48 hours to GTFO.

the_syco wrote: »
    Thus you're the defacto landlord to your subtenant. The 28 days notice is nice, but her anti-social activities now force you to give her 48 hours to GTFO.

I will see what will happen this week. She has been warned again by email. No one yesterday or today (well for her, her day has begun at 4 pm so I wouldn't be surprised if she invites someone over at 1 am)
    I record everything on daily basis (audio, video, photos) just in case it will go further

Graces7 wrote: »
    Go back to the Gardaí and ask to speak to someone higher up. And do call Citizens Information please

I got the Citizenship Information, I had a really nice lady over the phone and it is actually due to her that I had all the info to give my licensee a notice period. I will call tomorrow as well, to have more info about what could result in case she refused to leave and what we could legally do.

I didn't want to leave as it is a secure area, and as for the price I paid for a room it was worth it. I can't pay 1400 euros on my own...
    So? This is how tenancy law works. It wasnt viable for you to live there, so you brought in someone else to subsidise you living there. You are responsible for that individual, not the Garda, not your landlord, not the RTB, or threshold, or anyone else. Evict them or move out.

• Advertisement

So? This is how tenancy law works. It wasnt viable for you to live there, so you brought in someone else to subsidise you living there. You are responsible for that individual, not the Garda, not your landlord, not the RTB, or threshold, or anyone else. Evict them or move out.

For the last time, yes I know I am responsible for my licensee's behavior.
    However, if there are drugs in the flat, the Garda can actually do something, no? (or maybe I am totally wrong on that one)
    "Evict them or move out" it isn't as simple as you think it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

Are you Eddies tenant?:D

Has the licensee made any threats of violence or intimidation?

I checked with my brother who lets rooms in his house and this is what happened when he had to remove a difficult licensee due to her behaviour. When he asked her to leave (with 7 days notice) she made threats against him and his other licensee (including burning the house down with them in it if he tried to remove her) and he reported this to the local Gardai.

The Gardai took note and told him to ring them if she got aggressive or refused to leave - which she did. The Gardai then attended, but stayed outside while she removed her belongings.

They also gave her a quiet warning that it would not go well for her if she came back causing any more trouble.

He changed the locks as soon as she was gone, but he never heard a peep from her again.

Hit her with a little ghetto gospel at 8AM every day until she Fu*ks off. Get the kids to join in

• Registered Users Posts: 25,939 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. He chose the tenant, he is responsible for removing them. Exactly the same as a landlord being responsible for anti-social tenants.

Woohoo! If a housemate does illegal stuff , it's there housemate who gets to act against them.

Vigilante justice here we come.

Has the licensee made any threats of violence or intimidation?

I checked with my brother who lets rooms in his house and this is what happened when he had to remove a difficult licensee due to her behaviour. When he asked her to leave (with 7 days notice) she made threats against him and his other licensee (including burning the house down with them in it if he tried to remove her) and he reported this to the local Gardai.

The Gardai took note and told him to ring them if she got aggressive or refused to leave - which she did. The Gardai then attended, but stayed outside while she removed her belongings.

They also gave her a quiet warning that it would not go well for her if she came back causing any more trouble.

He changed the locks as soon as she was gone, but he never heard a peep from her again.

I am reassured by reading this. She has not made any threats. I think she knows that if she does it, she can have trouble for sure.
    The Guards I had on Sunday night, told me to open a claim with RTB. I really do think she didn't understand she was a licensee.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

rightmove wrote: »
    Are you Eddies tenant?:D

What emmalynn’s post lacks in eloquence, it makes up for in clarity.

Woohoo! If a housemate does illegal stuff , it's there housemate who gets to act against them.

Vigilante justice here we come.

As the person who chose to sublet and agreed to the licensee moving in, it’s hard to see where else responsibility for sorting it out should lie.

I’m sure someone posted an RTB case a few months ago where a LL could not legally remove a licensee after the lead tenant had moved out, only the tenant could end the license agreement.

• Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

Buy some house plants, scented geraniums, and burn sage now and again, while AVE Satani is playing in the background...

Get black candle's too, you're free to practice black magic...

If you can't do it the nice way, go all evil...

It'll freak her out lol

iagreebut wrote: »
    Buy some house plants, scented geraniums, and burn sage now and again, while AVE Satani is playing in the background...

Get black candle's too, you're free to practice black magic...

If you can't do it the nice way, go all evil...

It'll freak her out lol

We don't seek revenge in Satanism (well depends on which branch you are in)
    Trust me death and black metal doesn't stop her ! lol

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 109 ✭✭iagreebut

It's not revenge lol it's a deterrent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Meeoow

We don't seek revenge in Satanism (well depends on which branch you are in)
    Trust me death and black metal doesn't stop her ! lol

Blast a bit of Joe Dolan out. That might shift her!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

the_syco wrote: »

It really is straight forward. Give notice, change the lock on the front door.
    There is nothing the subtenant can do about it. Can't go to the RTB as they are a licensee. Once the lock is changed they will know it's for real.

It really is straight forward. Give notice, change the lock on the front door.
    There is nothing the subtenant can do about it. Can't go to the RTB as they are a licensee. Once the lock is changed they will know it's for real.

Last update: I received a call from my landlord. She complained about me... Well, I am not really worried about that. I also had the confirmation by Citizenship information that she is considered as a guest and she has to leave the property when her notice period will be over. Also, they advised me to contact the guards if she refused. I've told what happened at the garda station but the lady on the phone didn't seem really surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

Complained about you to the landlord? How did she get the landlords details? What did she say and what did the landlord say?

virgo69 wrote: »
    Complained about you to the landlord? How did she get the landlords details? What did she say and what did the landlord say?

She has the landlord details because for some private reasons I wasn't in Ireland for more than a month last year (before Covid 19 just to let you know) so I gave her the landlord's detail just in case there was an issue in the apartment.
    She told her she doesn't know why she can't invite her friends as they are in her room and not in the living room. She told her I ask her to turn off the tv after 11 pm (which is completely wrong) and she said she felt harassed in her own home.
    My landlord said she just advise her to talk to me directly as she is not her landlord...

Is there anyone else you are waiting for to tell you that you need to give your licensee notice to leave?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

I think its good that the LL referred her back to you as this confirms she is your licensee and is a guest in your home and as such your responsibility. If she has one more "guest ", I would ask her to leave immediately otherwise change the locks on the day she is due to leave.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

Apparently no... I had a young lady at the office so I don't know but she seems to have no clue and weren't really helpful

Sounds about standard, sometime I feel really sorry for the cops, they've been cut and cut but then with things like this, they don't help themselves.

Good luck OP.

• Advertisement

Diemos wrote: »
    Sounds about standard, sometime I feel really sorry for the cops, they've been cut and cut but then with things like this, they don't help themselves.

Good luck OP.

I was just really surprised to hear that they cannot do anything when I clearly said there were people and drugs in the apartment...

Advertisement