Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to evict licensee

Options

Comments

It’s like some people just like getting walked on. This was easily resolved and has been complicated way beyond what it should ever have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭EddieSteele

virgo69 wrote: »
    No point in getting shirty with posters, you are confusing posters. First, you where the main tenant and she was your licencee, then she complained to the landlord and now there's an agency involved, where did they come from?

You came in on someone else's thread, you were given advice, you decided not to take it, i.e. turf her out immediately, is it any wonder people are questioning if you are for real.

Who told you I didnt kept the advice. For you everything is simple, but it is not easy as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭virgo69

Who told you I didnt kept the advice. For you everything is simple, but it is not easy as you think.

Ah look this is my last on it, YOU told us you didn't take the advice, she's still there!! Is it any wonder the guards didn't give you much help if that's your attitude. Best of luck with the solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

It really is straight forward. Give notice, change the lock on the front door.
    There is nothing the subtenant can do about it. Can't go to the RTB as they are a licensee. Once the lock is changed they will know it's for real.

This advice somehow became, ask tenant nicely to leave and if she ignores contact letting agent and beg them to deal with it.

Confrontation isn't easy but unfortunately it is unavoidable here.

dubrov wrote: »
    This advice somehow became, ask tenant nicely to leave and if she ignores contact letting agent and beg them to deal with it.

Confrontation isn't easy but unfortunately it is unavoidable here.

Ask tenant nicely to leave? It didn't work. She knows exactly what she is doing.
    I have asked few days ago if I can at least have a lock at my door, to the agency that is dealing with the property now, they have to contact my landlord who refused. Also, they told me that as per as covid 19 restrictions they cannot advertise the room? which doesn't make sense to me but anyway.

I have contacted already the garda who told me that it is a civil matter, so they cannot evict her on the 5th of March. Then I won't have any other choice to look for another room I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Update on the case, the agency has been in touch with her to confirm she will leave the 5th. She said she is looking for a room which isnt true. And they told her she could stay a little bit more until she find somethng....

I thought I advised on this ages ago?
    If what you told me is true...
    1. Give your licensee notice
    2. If they don't leave change locks next time they go out
    3. Ring or text to say do not return
    4. Arrange date for licensee to collect belongings
    5. Give landlord new key
    6. Look for new licensee

**** licensee **** agency **** solicitor **** gardai

WHAT BIT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I thought I advised on this ages ago?
    If what you told me is true...
    1. Give your licensee notice
    2. If they don't leave change locks next time they go out
    3. Ring or text to say do not return
    4. Arrange date for licensee to collect belongings
    5. Give landlord new key
    6. Look for new licensee

**** licensee **** agency **** solicitor **** gardai

WHAT BIT DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

1. Give your licensee notice : done
    2. If they don't leave change locks next time they go out : the landlord has now refused to change the main door lock UNDERSTAND????

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

2. If they don't leave change locks next time they go out : the landlord has now refused to change the main door lock UNDERSTAND????

Lock the door from the inside?

Lock the door from the inside?

Except by blocking the door with a chair I cannot lock the door from inside. I am not really familiar with the english term to be honest. Also, there is something that comes to your mind. She doesn't want a lock for each room but It doesn't seems very legal well, It won't be legal if there are two differents tenants (and not tenant + licensee)

Except by blocking the door with a chair I cannot lock the door from inside. I am not really familiar with the english term to be honest. Also, there is something that comes to your mind. She doesn't want a lock for each room but It doesn't seems very legal well, It won't be legal if there are two differents tenants (and not tenant + licensee)

Leave the key in the door. Her keys shouldn't fit in then.

• Advertisement

Leave the key in the door. Her keys shouldn't fit in then.

You can only use the key outside but not inside. It is like a door latch. sorry I dont really have the term.

Change the lock yourself

Change the lock yourself

So you gonna change the lock even if your landlord refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You could always change it back once the easily resolvable situation is resolved.

You can only use the key outside but not inside. It is like a door latch. sorry I dont really have the term.

That's annoying. Change the barrel temporarily. Change it back after she is definitely gone.

You told me last week the landlord agreed and gave permission.

Why don't you change the lock until the licensee is gone?

You told me last week the landlord agreed and gave permission.

Why don't you change the lock until the licensee is gone?

Yes and that was true but she changed her mind apparently. Also she refused lock for each doors also. She is aware of what I am going through, but she decides to avoid any problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭richardkeiths

Yes and that was true but she changed her mind apparently. Also she refused lock for each doors also. She is aware of what I am going through, but she decides to avoid any problems.

Is she Irish?

Who chose the licensee?
    If it was you tell your landlord to f off and change the lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Just change the locks. The landlord has swerved any responsibility and said you are the landlord. You've given notice, you've been fair. It's time to stand up for yourself.

• Advertisement

Is she Irish?

yes she is and my licensee too.

I sent an email to my landlord that refusing me to have a lock in my own door was clearly irresponsible as she knows that my licensee threatens me and I had to go to the garda twice. No response from her. I have contacted the agency who told me she refused categorically lock on each door. (even if I said I will pay for that) I have no clue what she is doing and why she is acting like this.

For the room, as I said the agency told me to advertise the room on behalf of them because they can't do visit apparently because of covid 19 restrictions. (this is was the agency told me last week) Today when I called the agent. they told me that my landlord called them and she wants the agency looking for a new tenant and not me.
    That is a big mess!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Is this a wind up?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Is this a wind up?

yeah he made it all up for the craic

clown emoji

yeah he made it all up for the craic

clown emoji

Happens.

Two weeks of the same advice, but the op still thinks the Gardai/LL/letting Agent are the ones who need to sort it out.

Your contribution was to ask “is she Irish?” , what the nationality of the LL is, is hardly relevant.

Happens.

Two weeks of the same advice, but the op still thinks the Gardai/LL/letting Agent are the ones who need to sort it out.

Your contribution was to ask “is she Irish?” Nice.

Well, I was looking for legal advice.I have never said that the Garda neither my landlord or the agency has to deal with it.

Well, I was looking for legal advice.I have never said that the Garda neither my landlord or the agency has to deal with it.

?
    I have contacted already the garda who told me that it is a civil matter, so they cannot evict her on the 5th of March. Then I won't have any other choice to look for another room I guess.

?

In case of evicting someone, yes I have contacted the Garda. And what? I can ask, no? Or is it not allowed to ask anything to anyone. Jesus Christ...

?

a question mark is hardly helpful

EddieSteele, you have been given as good advice as you're going to get, how many more posters do you need to give you the same advice over an over?

The landlord is not going to remove the licencee. The Agent (which is a new element to your story) is not going to remove the licencee. The Gardai are not going to remove the licencee.

The only person who is going to remove the licensee, is you.

Now, you have been advised how to do this, to give notice and to change the locks, which initially you said the landlord agreed to. So if I were you, I would work on that basis as the landlord is washing their hands of it and leaving it up to you to deal with. As someone else advised, keep the original barrel and change it back after a few weeks, if really necessary, though I'd wager the landlord won't make a fuss about it, if you give her new keys.

I would certainly not do as you are now saying and give up the home I have been living in for several years where you have tenancy rather then actually deal with the troublesome licensee.

In your shoes, here is what I would do. (Boards regulars, please advise if anything I suggest is illegal).

I would have a locksmith on standby for the next time you know she will be out for the day or a good part of the day, and I would have packaging materials ready.

When she leaves the house, I would immedialy have the locks changed, and I would pack her stuff up (carefully, preferably have a friend with you, someone who can film you doing this so no claims of damage or theft) and I would move the boxes to the hallway beside the front door for easy collection, or if you can arrange it, a secure storage locker which I would pay to hire for a minimum period.

When she returns tell her she is no longer welcome, (again, if possible have a friend with you) and advise her she has a week to pick up her stuff (or tell her where you have had it securely stored, and for how long).

Then move on with your life.

• Advertisement

In your shoes, here is what I would do. (Boards regulars, please advise if anything I suggest is illegal).

I would have a locksmith on standby for the next time you know she will be out for the day or a good part of the day, and I would have packaging materials ready.

I hear everything you said and agree with that. However, my main concern is that is it really legal to do that even if your landlord refused you to change it?
    For the others, it is just a question, so no need to say "we have already give you advice and blablabla"

Advertisement