If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New midi - old speakers

Options
  • 25-02-2021 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

My old Sony midi died - so new one arrived this morning. I wanted to use existing speakers and cabling because a) it's wired into walls and b) existing speakers are wood ... It's just the 'plug in' to rear of new Sony unit is different. What are my options? New pins or join new & old cables?? Pics of new and old. I don't do soldering (or anything much!!)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,276 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

My old Sony midi died - so new one arrived this morning. I wanted to use existing speakers and cabling because a) it's wired into walls and b) existing speakers are wood ... It's just the 'plug in' to rear of new Sony unit is different. What are my options? New pins or join new & old cables?? Pics of new and old. I don't do soldering (or anything much!!)
    Hi Chelseavera.

To be honest I'm not familiar with that type of Sony connection.

You might be able to cut the heads off each set of cables and then re-join the new head to the old cable.
    You would need to ensure you get the joins correctly to avoid any problems.

It might be best to drop Sony a little email to check if this can be done. 
    In theory it should be just connecting two cable for left and right but again with not knowing the Sony connection I would not want to tell you to cut them incase there are multiple cores inside of it.

Any of the systems that we would sell would just run on standard speaker cable.
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-900187-cambridge-audio-symphony-100-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Hi Chelseavera.

You might be able to cut the heads off each set of cables and then re-join the new head to the old cable.

In theory it should be just connecting two cable for left and right but again with not knowing the Sony connection I would not want to tell you to cut them incase there are multiple cores inside of it.

https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-900187-cambridge-audio-symphony-100-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

Thanks. The cable looks like that - but what do i know. I'll contact Sony. Thanks 😊

Hi Chelseavera.

Thanks. The cable looks like that - but what do i know. I'll contact Sony. Thanks 😊
    Hi Chelseavera.

The cable I posted the link to has a bare copper end which connects into binding posts on either an amp or speakers or into Banana Plugs and then into the amp or speakers.

The cable you have there seems to have a hole in the middle which pushes into the back of the Sony.

You should be able to cut the head off and reattach it again but it would be best to check with Sony as I wouldn't want to be responsible for getting you to cut apart something that was not purchased from ourselves as I would be unable to help if it went wrong.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

..no problem cutting the cables and re-soldering them ( be brave!)

Just make sure the polarity is correct when you re-connect and of course ensure that the join is well insulated so you don't get any bare wires contacting .. that would be expensive and messy! I would cut a little bit away from the connectors to allow you to make an error without it becoming a drama ;) 

Keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB 

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Ah here John!! Soldering 😲🀪I'll wait in the first instance for Sony to reply ... You think solder equip is required so - not just a good twist and some insulation?!

Just make sure the polarity is correct when you re-connect and of course ensure that the join is well insulated so you don't get any bare wires contacting .. that would be expensive and messy! I would cut a little bit away from the connectors to allow you to make an error without it becoming a drama ;) 

ATVB 

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Ah here John!! Soldering 😲🀪I'll wait in the first instance for Sony to reply ... You think solder equip is required so - not just a good twist and some insulation?!

ATVB 

John Mc & Crew
    Hey Chelseacera.

Soldering would be the correct way to do it to ensure the best join.

You could of course try twisting the cables and taping them up but this runs the risk of not making a good contact.

You could also use electrical connector blocks but this could be unsightly due to the size of the connect block and if its visible 

Hey Chelseacera.

You could of course try twisting the cables and taping them up but this runs the risk of not making a good contact.

You could also use electrical connector blocks but this could be unsightly due to the size of the connect block and if its visible 

I'll look at that connector block possibility for sure! Appearance won't matter - as it's all set up in the middle of a big bookcase! Thanks for the suggestions and advice!

Hey Chelseacera.

I'll look at that connector block possibility for sure! Appearance won't matter - as it's all set up in the middle of a big bookcase! Thanks for the suggestions and advice!
    No problem at all Chelseavera.

Let us know if you get things up and running.

Have a good evening :)

Look! I did it :-) - thanks to some encouragement on here - and magic connectors from Amazon. These needed to trimming or stripping or anything!! And voila - they worked. It might not be the 'right' way - but it's worked (and I have some regular connectors if they fail) Tidy and easy as hell. Delighted with myself!

Look! I did it :-) - thanks to some encouragement on here - and magic connectors from Amazon. These needed to trimming or stripping or anything!! And voila - they worked. It might not be the 'right' way - but it's worked (and I have some regular connectors if they fail) Tidy and easy as hell. Delighted with myself!
    Hey Chelseavera.

They look a very good job :)

Really glad that you got sorted and are now up and running and enjoying some tunes.

If we can ever help in any way in future please don't hesitate to drop us a post or PM.

• Advertisement

Absolutely! You're top of my list for any upgrades ðŸ‘

Absolutely! You're top of my list for any upgrades ðŸ‘
    Cheers Chelseavera :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.