Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got any annual Bonus!

Options
  • 25-02-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭

What's the best way to spend in the €2k-€3k range, not fussed on new or 2nd hand purchases, just want to get the best money can buy within the price range with a firm eye on upgradability options for the future and bang for buck at the core.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

projectgtr wrote: »

I want a whole PC, not just a GPU :)

GPU upgrade will be a future purchase!

Looking at an AMD CPU, PCI Gen 4 Mobo, 16GB of RAM, a new PSU as mine is a EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus GOLD 550W which is probably a bit light on the Wattage long term, but ma suffice until a GPU upgrade comes along!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Inquitus wrote: »
    I want a whole PC, not just a GPU :)

GPU upgrade will be a future purchase!

Looking at an AMD CPU, PCI Gen 4 Mobo, 16GB of RAM, a new PSU as mine is a EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus GOLD 550W which is probably a bit light on the Wattage long term, but ma suffice until a GPU upgrade comes along!

I guess that was part of the joke.

Who is going to tell him the bad news? Who's turn is it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

If you genuinely want help just fill in the template, youll give people a much better idea of what you need and you will get a better response, its just here

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74542374

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I just need a PCI Gen 4 Mobo, an AMD CPU, 16GB of RAM and an M.2 for now, I have a bunch of other bits and bobs I can re-purpose as needs be. A couple of Mountain Mods cases lying around, a bunch of water cooling gear if I want to go down that route, windows licenses galore, loads of monitors, a couple of GPU's that will suffice in the meantime. Just need to use it for AAA gaming and productivity. 1440p will suffice, not into 4k. Have peripherals galore.

1. What is your budget? [€1-€2k just for the CPU, MOBO, RAM and M.2]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [AAA Gaming/Internet/ Productivity]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Mountain Mod Cases / EVGA SuperNOVA 550 G3, 80 Plus GOLD 550W / a Truckload of high quality fans ]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1080p x 3.] [Yes to 1440p]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Have all peripherals]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes have had everything from Peltier builds to Phase Cooling and Watercooling in the past]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer or Visa Debit]

9. When are you purchasing? [Whenever]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [No]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

You should be able to get those parts quite easily, AMD had a drop yesterday.

GPU, forgot about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Confused11811

The Ryzen 7 3xxx series and the ryzen 7 5xxx series are at an all time low price on both amazon UK and DE at the moment. They are 8 core options which depending on what production software you are using might be a better option than let's say a 6 core Ryzen 5 3600

Motherboards with x570 and b550 chipsets have pci-e gen 4. There are some compatible issues with some x570 and b550 mobos and the newer Ryzen 7 5xxx series. Some mobo's require a bios update before working. There is a bios flashback feature on many of these boards which let's you flash the latest bios without a cpu in the mobo. But some don't have this feature. The Ryzen 7 3xxx series works out of the box.

Personally I've just completed a Ryzen 7 3700x build and I decided to go with a bog standard B450 board as all current graphic cards even the rtx 3080 work just fine on pci-e 3 with little or no difference in performance. They have M2 slots too.

I went with 16GB (2x8) cosair ram ddr4 3600 CL18 , I got the ryzen optimised version with product code CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 . There is a cheaper version CMK16GX4M2D3600C18 but this is for intel based systems, this can cause issues with amd systems.

Depending on your production software requirements 32gb might be a better option. CMK32GX4M2Z3600C18 is also available.

Corsair or WD have 1TB M2 drives in and around the €100 mark, I've a WD.

Amazon de has all the above in stock. I'm not making any recommendations I don't overclock, other ram may be better but I've benchmarked my system the last couple of days and the results where amazing ( to me )

Advertisement