Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attic conversion..cert of compliance!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Yes but the question is does it need to comply if its only being used for storage ( by the new owner). i.e. can it be certified as compliant as a storage only room?

Personally I wouldn't consider it as storage given the level of finishes and likely intent of construction. People don't go to that much effort and expense just for storage space.

It's not just about what the owner intends to use it as, it's about what it could be used as. That area in the Myhome link could far too easily be used as a habitable space and therefore should comply with Part B requirements for such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Penn wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't consider it as storage given the level of finishes and likely intent of construction. People don't go to that much effort and expense just for storage space.

It's not just about what the owner intends to use it as, it's about what it could be used as. That area in the Myhome link could far too easily be used as a habitable space and therefore should comply with Part B requirements for such.

OK, but personal opinions aside, could a conversion such as this be certified as compliant as a storage space? Does it come down to the personal opinion of the certifying individual (i.e. its a grey area) of is it black or white?

OK, but personal opinions aside, could a conversion such as this be certified as compliant as a storage space? Does it come down to the personal opinion of the certifying individual (i.e. its a grey area) of is it black or white?

The certificate of compliance is actually an 'Opinion on Compliance'. So yes it comes down to the personal opinion of the certifying individual. Their interpretation and opinion of the situation. Some might certify it, others wouldn't. As a professional who could, I am saying if I was engaged to certify that as storage space only, I wouldn't.

The certificate of compliance is actually an 'Opinion on Compliance'. So yes it comes down to the personal opinion of the certifying individual. Their interpretation and opinion of the situation. Some might certify it, others wouldn't. As a professional who could, I am saying if I was engaged to certify that as storage space only, I wouldn't.

Thanks , that's cleared it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Room is readily accessible.
    Escape window looks too high.
    No signs of smoke detection in attic room.
    No door at all separating it from the stair core so it’s comprising the escape from the down stairs bedrooms as if a fire starts up there, smoke and fire can enter the escape stairs easily. This would be a blatant greater contravention to the original house design.

I see a smoke detection at the top of the stairs.

As a surveyor looking at that for a purchaser I would highlight the breaches and recommend the attic be separated from the floor below in accordance with the regulations. If I was asked to pit a cert on it, I’d refuse unless some works carried out to at least bring it towards compliance.

It’s not as ifs it’s a store room up there, it’s a finished, plastered, accessible space in my opinion.

It has also turned a 2 storey house into a 3 storey house.

Just a related question, who is qualified to provide a certificate of opinion on compliance, a surveyor, structural engineer, either? Thanks

Just a related question, who is qualified to provide a certificate of opinion on compliance, a surveyor, structural engineer, either? Thanks

Architect
    Engineer
    Building surveyor
    Technologist

Once they have the relevant PI to offer the opinion, and the Pi will be based on them have the necessary qualifications, experience and competence to offer the service.

So it means your average handyman can’t just buy a pi policy and offer opinions, same goes for chippies, sparks etc, while they are professional in their own right, you need the relevant experience and qualification to offer the cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Gumbo wrote: »
    Architect
    Engineer
    Building surveyor
    Technologist

Once they have the relevant PI to offer the opinion, and the Pi will be based on them have the necessary qualifications, experience and competence to offer the service.

So it means your average handyman can’t just buy a pi policy and offer opinions, same goes for chippies, sparks etc, while they are professional in their own right, you need the relevant experience and qualification to offer the cert.

And as you correctly state, the PI is related to the professional title/qualification so unlike some trades who can restart with a different name on the side of the van tomorrow morning, we are stuck with and have to stand by our record. This very much preserves the integrity of the system imo.
    You get the odd fella that will sign anything but invariably they are out of business and uninsurable after about 3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

You can have a structural survey that shows your attic was built in compliance with regs (RSJ, materials, insulation, etc) but of course not sell as habitable space.

But you can sell it. Did it two years ago... "three bed with attic conversion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWPSflClAnM

• Advertisement

3DataModem wrote: »
    You can have a structural survey that shows your attic was built in compliance with regs (RSJ, materials, insulation, etc) but of course not sell as habitable space.

But you can sell it. Did it two years ago... "three bed with attic conversion"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWPSflClAnM

At least yours had a door to,separate the new room from the escape stairs.
    But the irony of it being non habitable and you had the kids bed up there is :D

Gumbo wrote: »
    At least yours had a door to,separate the new room from the escape stairs.
    But the irony of it being non habitable and you had the kids bed up there is :D

As we always say; "It's Storage. They're storing a kid up there"

Advertisement