Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North inner city turning into war zone

Options
  • 25-02-2021 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

Something needs to be done about north inner city around OConnel Street to Parnell to Amiens St

I know it’s always been rough enough but it has deteriorated rapidly in the last 12 months and is almost a no go area now

This in the heart of our capital city and cannot be accepted any longer

There are daily mugging and beatings a outside our GPO and a stones throw from the department of education.

Time for politicians to sort this out once and for all.

Has anybody been around area in recent months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I live in the area and have had no problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I think the issue around the city centre is that nobody is around, relatively speaking. I worked on Marlborough Street until last year and yes the area was spicy. I saw people up to no good but no assaults or muggings. I never felt unsafe, but at the same time I never felt comfortable.

Before Covid, the dodgy element was very well diluted by others. Take almost all the workers, shoppers and tourists out of the area and it looks like they're everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...Time for politicians to sort this out once and for all....
    Very poor turnout at elections - why would politicians bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

I live in the area and have had no problems at all.

Thats because your wearing a blind fold and cant see whats going on or rose tinted glasses :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Guards are too busy hanging around beauty spots and tourist attractions trying to catch people outside their 5km radius than to be dealing with serious matters like you mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Any gardai Ive ever seen in the area particularly by the GPO have always been too busy texting on their phones to offer a deterrent.

This country needs to come to terms with treating problems aggressively. Being aggressive instead of "shure it'll be grand" does not make us analagous to the tans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Something needs to be done about north inner city around OConnel Street to Parnell to Amiens St

I know it’s always been rough enough but it has deteriorated rapidly in the last 12 months and is almost a no go area now

The junkies are more obvious because they aren't camoflaged by the masses of regular Joes any more.

There are daily mugging, stabbings and beatings a outside our GPO and a stones throw from the department of education.

Daily :pac::pac::pac: I'd be surprised if there is one mugging in a 6 month period on somewhere as crowded and CCTV heavy as O'Connell St.

Yes. Well policed and more free of crime than plenty of other Western capitals main throighfares.

The Roma gypsies hanging out all day are an annoyance. Aside from that, little to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This in the heart of our capital city and cannot be accepted any longer

There are daily mugging, stabbings and beatings a outside our GPO and a stones throw from the department of education.

Time for politicians to sort this out once and for all.

Stabbings outside the GPO. And oh wait you said daily as well. WUM.

Dublin could do with better policing, but I really don't get why certain Boards posters are so preoccupied with painting Dublin as some absolute hellhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Contact hazel Chu, she will block you on twitter though if your questions are genuine and to the point.....

City is a cess pool.

Garda checkpoint now closer to Newcomen bridge just up from Amien st.

Next road over gang's of scum on bikes, mopeds and scramblers, roads or footpath they don't discriminate, but he'll if you're a law abiding citizen you get the privilege of been stopped and asked the purpose of your travel.... It's starting to feel a lot like China these days....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I walk through there about 5 times a week, and between 6 and 9 pm is ridiculously dodgy. There are people strewn on the street drinking cans and doing drugs. Outside the GPO there is a soup kitchen, another on Talbot Street, 100s milling around with no masks and dealing going off around the edges.

In the past week I have witnessed 1 moderate physical assault, 1 serious physical assault involving boxing the head of someone and one theft whilst every second day you get really hassled for money, like people following you asking you for change without a mask. I simply walk through the area for about 15 minutes so god knows how much of this stuff goes on. Wasn't there a woman stabbed to death just outside the IFSC a month or so ago.

I am not exaggerating, the place has turned really really bad in recent months. I usually stick up for that part of town as I have lived there and worked there practicably all my life but now you literally have to turn your shoulder every few seconds to ensure your safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

OP do you live in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

dubrov wrote: »
    OP do you live in the area?

I walk through there about 5 times a week, and between 6 and 9 pm is ridiculously dodgy. There are people strewn on the street drinking cans and doing drugs. Outside the GPO there is a soup kitchen, another on Talbot Street, 100s milling around with no masks and dealing going off around the edges.

In the past week I have witnessed 1 moderate physical assault, 1 serious physical assault involving boxing the head of someone and one theft whilst every second day you get really hassled for money, like people following you asking you for change without a mask. I simply walk through the area for about 15 minutes so god knows how much of this stuff goes on. Wasn't there a woman stabbed to death just outside the IFSC a month or so ago.

I am not exaggerating, the place has turned really really bad in recent months. I usually stick up for that part of town as I have lived there and worked there practicably all my life but now you literally have to turn your shoulder every few seconds to ensure your safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don't live in the city but have numerous colleagues that do and have for a long time, everyone of them is now telling me it's actually scary to be out. They've indicated the emptiness of people and businesses has really enhanced the volume and activity of unsavory characters out and about.

As I said haven't seen it myself as haven't been in the city for a year but these folks are generally reliable. Sounds like policing has decided not to intervene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

That's fair enough. I haven't been in there for a while but recall the people who used to refer to it as a warzone never really went into town and just read media reports

Sounds like it has gone downhill during the lockdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭richardkeiths

Rodin wrote: »
    Any gardai Ive ever seen in the area particularly by the GPO have always been too busy texting on their phones to offer a deterrent.

This country needs to come to terms with treating problems aggressively. Being aggressive instead of "shure it'll be grand" does not make us analagous to the tans.

this showed use know very little tbh

cctv covers every inch of oconnell st and undercover guards operate in the area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I live in the area. The OP is right...in the past 12 months there has been an upsurge in drug/ booze related anti-social behavior. It was high already.

Too many homeless shelters in the area now. Its like somebody decided to dump them all within a few square miles. Along with homeless shelters comes drugs/ booze/ violence/ using the footpaths as toilets. And a seemingly endless stream of Linden Village cans, blowing around the streets in the wind.

What bothers me is...how can policy makers think so little of their own city. Have they no sense of belonging/ connection to the place at all? Its like the Zombie Apocalypse out there.

Was down in M&S just there...there are now 5 tents along Henry St.

It's time to get the drug treatment centres out of the city centre.

and put them where?

you cant please everyone!

They should be put out in the suburbs somewhere like it is done in a lot of other European countries.

They should be put out in the suburbs somewhere like it is done in a lot of other European countries.

and put it where in the suburbs? who wants to live next to a methadone clinic?

• Advertisement

The reason that drug treatment centres are in the city centres is because most of the service users are from the locality. It would be great to shift them all to Leitrim/Monaghan.

I have worked with drug treatment centres in the UK and the main consideration for location is accessibility.

For your information, there is a clinic that gives out Methadone in the area i live in. Typical NIMBYism response.

For your information, there is a clinic that gives out Methadone in the area i live in. Typical NIMBYism response.

Most community pharmacies in Dublin will have some methadone scripts on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Biker79 wrote: »
    Too many homeless shelters in the area now. ...

It's not the homeless or those attending the clinics that are causing the antisocial issues, it's the roving local assholes.

nimbyism? Thats a new one. Sounds like you watch too much tv.

Thats wonderful yeah put it in the suburbs and flood transport with drug users increasing anti social behavior and the risk of crime.

Make sick and strung out people have to travel to dispersed locations rather than a centralised treatment network.

Dont go into politics !

Gardai are useless at dealing with this bs anyway. I've passed them countless times at the Londis on Westmoreland street laughing and joking with the vermin that congregate there. They are just too easy on them. This problem needs to be dealt with with a harder approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Hurrache wrote: »
    It's not the homeless or those attending the clinics that are causing the antisocial issues, it's the roving local assholes.

True, however...when there are too many homeless shelters in a concentrated area, a tipping point of degeneracy is soon reached.

Don't take my word for it. See for yourself.

Thats wonderful yeah put it in the suburbs and flood transport with drug users increasing anti social behavior and the risk of crime.

Make sick and strung out people have to travel to dispersed locations rather than a centralised treatment network.

Dont go into politics !

Let's hear your solution Einstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Dont go into politics !

It doesn't seem like you're familiar with how it's currently working, there's treatment outside of the city. Nor do all drug abusers live in the city, oddly enough they can be found in the suburbs.

• Advertisement

He probably lives in some leafy suburb somewhere. Plenty of treatment centres out of the city centre but usually not in 'certain' areas.

Anyway, people who say the city centre is fine and hardly anything goes on are deluded.

Advertisement